This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

while i are on the taste thing...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: while i are on the taste thing...
    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 10:57pm
have a good friend that raises pigs in confinment, and met the company head one day that he grows the pigs for. i told him they need to keep their pigs on feed a little longer cuz there is no taste to the pork anymore. the company wants lean pigs, get them in and get them out fast. more money for them that way. i told him that if they continue that way, most won't buy pork anymore, cuz there's no flavor. well i talked to my buddy the other day and he said i must have done some good to his boss, said they are starting to keep the pigs on feed longer and putting more weight on them! WooHoo! now....if i could gits the old lady....oooooops....i mean the loving wife to listen better!
Sponsored Links

thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 5:46am
You need to talk to the folks in the chicken business. They seem to want to keep killing ours sooner for smaller birds. They say that's what the customer wants but it sure can put a hurting on a man's paycheck. We usually sell around 225,000 birds so every .1 of a pound we lose costs us 22,500 lbs on the total. With our contract pay that equates to around $1500 to $2000 per flock. We're still making it ok but an extra .1 or .2 on the average would REALLY be nice

(Had to edit the math. I was a bit off earlier)

Edited by thendrix - 09 Mar 2021 at 1:07pm
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 6:43am
Confinement dosen't make good pork or eggs. Fresh air, sunshine, good food( no pasteurized garbage etc.) and pasture dose! 
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 10:22am
Thank you Mr Shameless. I have to agree, a porkchop can be about the same as eating cardboard. Wink You know they are LEAN when a wild hog has more fat than what you get at the store.

Wink nella I don't know how much of the wild free range pork you or I would eat if we knew EVERYTHING those wild boggers find to eat. But it is ALL natural.LOL
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 12:07pm
Whatever the wild pigs eat must be good, they seem to be thriving, so that would mean it would be good for us to eat them.Smile
Brian F(IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian F(IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 2:43pm
I've had a preference for pork shoulder (aka Boston Butt) versus pork loins for years.  Still get a pork tenderloin once in a while if they're on sale in the grocery store.  Bacon depends on the processor.
Dave in PA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by thendrix thendrix wrote:

You need to talk to the folks in the chicken business. They seem to want to keep killing ours sooner for smaller birds. They say that's what the customer wants but it sure can put a hurting on a man's paycheck. We usually sell around 225,000 birds so every .1 of a pound we lose costs us 22,500 lbs on the total. With our contract pay that equates to around $1500 to $2000 per flock. We're still making it ok but an extra .1 or .2 on the average would REALLY be nice

(Had to edit the math. I was a bit off earlier)

Wet them down before they come to get them, water adds weight!  LOL
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 7:25pm
Believe it or not that makes them crap!! If they have a scheduling mishap and the birds haven't been off feed long enough to be empty, they'll spray them down after they're on the truck to make them crap.

We make sure to leave them on water as long as possible for that reason.

Edited by thendrix - 09 Mar 2021 at 7:26pm
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 9:52pm
Tyler, ask them where they get the "that's what the customer wants" BS.  I've NEVER had anyone ask me which I prefer.  It's what they can get away with the cheapest.  I haven't seen a chicken in the store for a LONG time with YELLOW FAT on it.  Those are the BEST chickens.  See if they've asked anybody that!!
I htink they just say that, nobody asks the consumer anymore.  They have the 'there it is, buy it or live with out' attitude.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 5:51am
Have to agree Ted. Their customer pays by the pound also and that's why they want younger and smaller birds. Big enough to just get by with I guess
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 10:15pm
but then they pump the meat full of water before they sell to the public! pretty expensive water!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic