This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

any of ya'll

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: any of ya'll
    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 12:59am
been able to find good tasting oranges? i love eating 1 or 2 oranges a day, and if i want flavor (like they should taste) i usually have to get the mandrin ones, even them little cuties are about flavorless. it's been 2-3 years since i've been able to find any good ones, usually they are either hard and woody inside or about rotten or fermenting indside. PfffffT! used to get the thick skinned ones, they were almost always flavorfull, but haven't seen them for a long time either. 
Sponsored Links

Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 5:17am
I also like the big thick skinned easy to peel oranges. Haven’t seen any for a bit.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 8:54am

LOLLOLLOL,,,I guess "Everybody" liked them big thick skinned ones is why you don't see em in the stores anymore,,,they must be sendin them good ones to china,,,,errr,I din't say that,,,,,,Wink
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 9:05am
     Back in the 60's Dad and Mom  would spend a month in Florida and an aunt and uncle would stay with us youngsters. My parents would bring back fruit from trees in some friend's yard. Tree ripened oranges and grapefruit; haven't tasted anything like it since and getting worse all the time. They also brought tangerines that the skins would almost fall off of. I'm with you Shameless, what ever happened to all that good fruit?
Gordy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 9:56am
I buy Navel Oranges they are the thick skinned easy peeling new crop starts November can normally find good supply through the winter little harder to find good ones after April. good bedtime snack most every day never have found good ones at Wallmart 
“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough”
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 10:42am
Produce is more and more being grown under "mass production" conditions as much as possible, and the taste, or lack thereof, shows through.

About the best we've gotten in several years is the fruit sales the FFA does.  All of our contacts are graduated now though, bummer.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 11:50am
Somebody could help his own cause if he regulated that dang old confounded "MACHINE".LOL You have to leave us out west just a little bit of cold but not to much.Wink Had old boy that grow up raising oranges told me they are good to 28 degrees if not for to many hours. But that was when it was time to lite the fire pots in the old days, LOL filled with crank case draining's.

But if the groves don't get to the lower 30's the sugar level doesn't come up. The dry woody ones have been froze and the juice leaks out and you have nothing but pulp. Many less acres of oranges in Florida because of citrus greening disease, imported from Asia as well. Kills the trees off over 4 or 5 years. California been fighting hard to keep it away. Been talk of curry but still in the testing stages. Don't know about fresh fruit but most juice is coming from South America.  

The Asians are willing to pay the most,Confused so they get the best. Good cherries even though the local season is short, are about impossible to get. All because in Asia they get $10 a pound.   
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 10:51pm
Ray....a new business adventure for you!
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 1:28am
The Clementines I get at the grocery store are pretty good, $4 for a 3 lb bag.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 10:47am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

Ray....a new business adventure for you!

Wink To cold for citrus. There was a lemon tree that got to be about 100 years old. It was about 2 miles away by a spring real high up coming out of the mountain. But cold back in 1990 finally got it. The way heat rises the hill tops have the least frost here. So the newer houses built up on top of hills have a citrus tree or 2. That old lemon tree had been froze off to the roots a few times and had many little shoots out of the root ball. LOL And boy did it have some thorns on it maybe 2 inches long.

Wink Or where you meaning cherries? Had 2 trees, when the youngest was about 7 or 8 he would sit in that tree for hours at a time. Had the cats all sitting around waiting for a feathered treat to fall from the tree and the boys bb gun. The only way to get many cherries here. But then some disease came along and the big one was dead in just a few months. Planted several more and they all died.  Another place that had a half a dozer really big cherry trees all died.Cry  

Besides I am to old and tired to be planting a tree for 10 years down the road.
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 12:43pm
Ray we need a few crates of Ojai Pixie tangerines.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 11:03pm
The oranges I grow in my shop are very small and very tart. On my dwarf tree they get to shooter marble size and more lemon than orange. The skins are about paper thin and you just eat without pealing. My grow light burned out last month and it dosent seam to like the new Led aledged grow light.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic