This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD45 Trip Bucket PROBLEM?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssccrab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WD45 Trip Bucket PROBLEM?
    Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 3:13pm
Hey everyone. I've got a 1955 WD45 with a New Idea 501 trip bucket loader. When the lever is pulled, the pin will release but the bucket does nothing. It just doesn't dump. I've had all sorts of weight in it, but always end up having to shovel out whatever I put in it. I can wiggle the bucket up & down by hand and it seems to move freely. Attached are pics of the bucket. Looking for any and all advice. Thank you!

Sponsored Links

allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 3:27pm
Your bucket appears to have been modified and the weight load is too far back past tip point where holes are drilled. You may need to relocate the holes in the bucket and build up a block for the trip pin to catch. With the correct geometry, the bucket will only trip with weight and reset on its own. Remember— the full media weight needs to be forward of pins for this to work. If you dill the holes to far back, you will most likely need need to drop loader in reverse to reset.
ssccrab View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssccrab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 3:30pm
Oohh, okay. I understand. So I noticed there are two holes already in the bucket, down and back from the current pivot points. Someone could have modified it to keep it stationary at some point in time..?
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 3:32pm
Going back looking at picture (1) it appears something is attached to the bucket? Lever should work pin in center of the bucket. I may not see the “rod” correctly in your picture?
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 5:14pm
Wrong bucket, for the loader, you'll prolly have to play around with the pivot point, and possibly the latch...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by allisbred allisbred wrote:

Going back looking at picture (1) it appears something is attached to the bucket? Lever should work pin in center of the bucket. I may not see the “rod” correctly in your picture?

It looks like a spring.
 Move the pivot point to the other hole. I would also fix the pin size to match the hole so you don't have all that slop between pin and hole sizes.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 9:18pm
Extend bucket futh

Extend bucket farther forward to get load out front. Needs a strap around pivot pin to hold outer end of pin.               MACK

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 6:44am
you 'might' get lucky using the hole further back and down. at least it'll be a easy test.
All 3 of the Freeman buckets for my D-14s had forks on them,same kinda idea though,self tipping.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Brian F(IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian F(IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 8:50am
As I recall the Freeman loaders made for AC, there was a spring attached that would sometimes return the emptied bucket to the locked position.  But as Allisbred said, you may need to lower the bucket and back up to get the bucket into the locked position.  It appears your New Idea bucket also has the spring attachment, but may need to be modified to get it to work.
Brian G. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 11:11am
Originally posted by allisbred allisbred wrote:

I also see what appears to be a rod or pipe attached to a
bracket on the upper RH corner of the bucket. Is that a 
spring mechanism? 
If so, is it too stiff or too short to let the bucket tip?  
From your pictures, it seems to me that the bucket should
dump when the latch is tripped. However, it does not appear
to be the correct bucket for a  New Idea 501 Loader. 
Notice the straps on the factory loader that capture both 
ends of the pivot bolts. Seems like this would be a good 
addition to your bucket as well. I think the loaders were
usually equipped with the "tined" manure bucket but other
options were available including the dirt bucket.

ssccrab View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssccrab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 12:04pm
Hey fellas! A quick update: This morning I re-positioned the bucket to the rear holes and put an old truck wheel rim in for weight. Pulled the lever and it tripped! It hung up several times on crappy welds scraping against the arms, so after grinding those down and trying again, it dumped all the way down. The spring was also worn out, so I cut that down a bit shorter, and now the bucket dumps and returns on its own. Thank you all again for your knowledge and expertise!

Edited by ssccrab - 04 Mar 2021 at 12:06pm
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 6:35pm
OMG !! That brings back memories!! We ran a trip bucket loader on our WD in the early '70's Wink . Seems like ours was an A/C  loader but I'm trying to get verification from dad .
Dad verified that it was an ALLIS loader on the WD WinkWink

Edited by FREEDGUY - 04 Mar 2021 at 6:40pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic