This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Templeton loader

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Templeton loader
    Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 9:35am
     Does anyone know anything about Templeton manure loaders? We have one that I would like to clean up and install on one of our WD's. Dad bought it back in the early 1950's and I can remember going with him and a neighbor to pick it up. Think they were made in either Lexington or New Lexington, Ohio. Haven't found anything on the internet about the company so far. Wish I could find Dad's manual for it; he kept everything but can't find that manual, if there ever was one. Anyone else remember having one. I have seen several around over the years and all were trip bucket style. Thanks for any help. 
Sponsored Links

sho-man1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sho-man1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 10:01am
Don't know anthing about Templeton loaders but i do like Templeton Rye Whiskey....
Robert Musgrave View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert Musgrave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 1:09pm
My dad had a Templeton loader on his WD--bought it in the early 50's after seeing a demonstration at either the Hancock County or Hardin County Fair (Ohio).  Had a dirt plate for the bucket, and even a V-snow plow that had been modified to fit.  He sold the loader in the early 90's and even had some leather packings for the cylinder repair.  I don't ever remember seeing a manual for it nor do I know where he got repair parts.  R. Musgrave
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 4:06pm
Templeton was just up the road in Lexington Ohio. We had one of the loaders and used to go to the factory for the occasional parts need. They have been gone a long time. Probably 50 years. As you might guess there were a lot of them around here.
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 7:42am
Butch, Robert,
     Thanks for the location verification. We used our loader a lot and on the 1950 WD with NO power steering, just the armstrong type. Had the dirt pan too. Very handy and likely only about half it's use was for manure. I wonder if there was ever a manual for those loaders. I have found Dad's manuals for every other piece of equipment that he had. 
     Thanks for the info, Russell.
Joe DeLisle View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeLisle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 9:00pm
The name was actually TEMPLE-TON. The loaders came unassembled, and included a two page illustrated instruction to assemble to fit a WD tractor.  The package included support stands for the loader when not attached to the tractor. The only repair parts ever needed were leather cups for the cylinder pistons, same as those used in the old well water pumps.  Temple-tons were rated for 2000 lb, hence the hyphon between the Temple and ton.  Early units did not have as high a lift as later units, accomplished by making the front mount brackets longer, and braced back to the tractor channel frame.  The same highly adjustable loader frame was used on about every make of tractor, with different mount backets.  They also made them with the frames cut and rewelded to clear the axle on WD with wide front. There was no owners manual, other than the assembly instructions, and there were color brochurs put out showing them mounted on both narrow front and wide front WD's, and wide and narrow front CA's.
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2021 at 7:38am
Joe,
     Thanks for the information; that's more than I ever knew before about those loaders. I would guess you must have owned one?  I remember the hydraulic lines from the back of the cylinders were plumbed into the drain for the tractor hydraulic system so as to have adequate oil volume. We had a dirt pan for it too and Dad made a blade. Certainly handy for the snows we used to get. Maybe I'll come across one of those brochures you mentioned or the assembly instructions. There is a picture of a Temple-ton loader on an AC in one of the books I have but the loader brand is not identified. Thanks again, Russell.
Joe DeLisle View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeLisle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 11:42pm
Yes, we had one on a WD. The hoses you remember on the bottom of the cylinders were there to collect the leakage past the leather seals and route it back to the sump.  The early loaders did not have this feature.   After a hundred hrs or so lifting manure, you would leave a fine trail of oil from the open ended cylinders.  Replacing the seals was easy; unscrew the eye from the end of the cylinder shaft, unscrew the rod gland, and pull the gland and shaft out. one nut and washer held the leather cup on the rod.  The brochures are relatively easy to come by: I can bring one to look at to the Findlay GOTO if you want.
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 8:17am
Joe,
    Thanks for the info and brochure offer. I would like to see one but will have to see about the Findlay GOTO; wife is having some health issues the last few months. The show is relatively close so would like to go this year. Thanks, Russell.
Dave (Mid-MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (Mid-MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 4:34pm
My dad bought one of these loaders at auction when I was a kid. His uncle had had one. We had a wide front WD, and the loader was for a narrow front, which he didn't realize until we were mounting it. It was handy for lifting, but wouldn't go to the ground for digging. He later bought one for the wide front, then sold it with the WD45. He made a snap coupler rear bucket with a cultivator hitch and the remains of the original loader, which I still have. Two years ago, I bought a narrow front WD with a Temple-ton loader on it.

Edited by Dave (Mid-MI) - 23 Mar 2021 at 4:36pm
Herb12748 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herb12748 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2023 at 11:16am
I am in the process of restoring my dads 1945 The Temple ton hydraulic helper.

I have some brochures from that loader.

My email is hrsteffen@gmslab.com

Email me and we can chat.

Just found your post from 2021 this morningSmile
Herb12748 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herb12748 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2023 at 2:33pm
I have one that I am restoring this winter. (2023) I do have a brochure that tells about the loader, which is called  (the Temple-Ton Hydraulic Helper). I would be more than happy to send you this info in a pdf file if you have and email address. My email is hrsteffen@gmslab.com

Hope i can help you Smile
Herb12748 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herb12748 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2023 at 1:56pm
Templeton Loader or Hydralic Helper
I am in the final restoration of a loader and the WD tractor my Dad owned. If you have an  l I will be glad to share some of the literature I have on this loader. You can email be at hrsteffen@gmslab.com
I will respond to you as soon as I here from you. My name is Herb Steffen
Herb12748 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herb12748 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2024 at 3:28pm
SmileTo the guy looking for info on a Temple Ton Hydralic Helper I got one fully restored and mounted on a wd that was my dads when i grew up. I hauled tons of manure with the tractor and the loader. hrsteffen@gmslab.com. Contact me for details. Also have factory liturature available in a pdf. 
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2024 at 10:36am
I still have dad's mounted on his WD. We call it "the scoop tractor".
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2024 at 2:13pm
My Dad had a templeton mounted on a CA and it loaded a lots of manure, the WD & WC pulled the spreaders.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic