This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Classifieds
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WTB log carry

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WTB log carry
    Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 6:31am
need to move some trees without dragging them so hoping to find a log cradle/ carry? 
Sponsored Links

Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 7:24am
Are you moving complete trees to replant, or moving logs cut from trees?  What are you using to pull this with?
Hunt4Allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 7:50am
logs already cut laying on ground...
AC d-17 that has a pig pole lifting arm on rear to position them.
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 8:35am
An arch commonly used behind crawlers, with winches, lifts one end, so the logs drag easier and minimizes dirt on the logs.  If you want the log totally clear of the ground and have a D17 that will pick them, use a narrow single axle woods trailer.  Make one from an old pickup frame, no deck, mounted direct to a pick rear axle with the top of the frame rails even with the top of the tires, or narrowed house trailer type axle.  Put a stake pocket (make stakes removable) at each corner.  Remove the stakes on one side, set logs on lengthwise, put the two stakes back in and go.  I have a single axle one and a tandem one I use mainly for 4' wood, but have moved logs on them.

I have seen frames to carry logs by hanging them below the frame, usually sold for 4 wheelers.  Personal opinion, I think that a woods trailer is an easier way to go than lifting to hang logs on chains under a frame (then you have to unhook them as well), if you want to carry them clear of the ground.  I also think hanging up and dropping them off that type carrier has more risk of injury.  And the trailer can be used for other things than logging.

Edited by Jim.ME - 24 Feb 2021 at 10:02am
JoeO(CMO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeO(CMO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 9:21am
I wonder if an old propane tank hauler would work?

I have used a wagon running gear, put taller stakes on sides if needed.

Edited by JoeO(CMO) - 25 Feb 2021 at 9:34am

Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 10:59am
Dad made a dray back in the 70s 2 16' logs barked on bottom angle cut in the front. Had boxed 7' cross pieces welded to 16' thick handle irons lag bolted to the logs round pockets every 4' where the cross pieces were. Pull the stakes and roll the logs on we could stack logs 4-5' tall and pull out of the woods with the budozer. Kept logs clean. The logs were put on a trailer and hauled to grandpa's saw mill. One load more than we should have hauled on two trips behind the pickup. Poor little 250 strait six struggled with half what we could put on one day
Boss Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 8:00pm
I use an old Brindle propane tank trailer
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 10:29pm
I hauled a lot of lp tanks on one of them. It gets a bit harry with a 1/2 full thousand gallon tank on them. Only did it once, was a repo situation.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic