This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

crazy lumber prices

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: crazy lumber prices
    Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 9:42am
     Just looked at Lowes website for 4 ft. x 8 ft. sheets of 7/16 osb - $28.75 and 2x4x96 in. studs - $6.28. Thought maybe lumber would come down some time but looks like not. If my memory is correct I think the osb went up close to $4.00 per sheet. That's around 4 times higher than I paid less than 2 years ago. Heck it's just glue and scraps. Guess that's my gripe for today.
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 9:49am
Up here ,same OSB at homerdepot is 34 Canucks, 2by4s are $1 per foot....

sad thing is I don't care about the cost, just can't get a contractor to refurb my garage !
oh well.....

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 9:54am
I am building a couple portable duck blinds for son... Have a couple hundred of 2 x 6 and 2 x 3 from the house trailer i tore down last fall....... problem is i needed several sheets of plywood.. use to be $18. for a sheet of 1/2' CDX.... 2 weeks ago it was $30. !!

On the other hand i needed a couple 120 and 240v breakers for an electrical box.. They seem to have DROPPED in price.. a bunch ! ....... but dont ask about WIRE !
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 10:04am
Really want to build down in the valley just to make a rental and pizz off the neighbor.  Make a little extra income with it.  Can still get foundation some reasonable although rerod is high right now.  Lumber prices and availability are stopping that process cold as truss are 2-5 MONTHS out dependent of Special Order or stocking demension.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 11:14am
Son was working on a large project in Mpls last year - they used plywood to pour forms with and every 2nd pour replaced them - he saved the plywood and now has around 500 or more sheets stored inside and another 200 outside . 
 He was thinking of building a garage and talked to building inspector - guy said if the wood was used once it would not pass code to build a garage with . Same as had lot of 2x4 that were used as forms - said if they have nail holes that not suitable for new construction 

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 12:44pm
Man that SUCKS.... need to live farther out in the country where LESS RULES and NO INSPECTIONS !! Wink
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 1:16pm
I dare say Coke, that was ALWAYS a standard when One crew built an entire house to Reuse Form lumber where needed.  NOTHING absolutely NOTHING bad of that or a few nail holes.  For that regard would like that inspector to prove they have none of the above in THEIR homes.
Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 2:44pm
One of my customers is a contractor and he built a lean to off the barn for me a couple of years ago. I asked him last summer to build me another he came by and said he wouldn’t do it right now he was too embarrassed at the material costs. I thanked him and told him when the prices drop come on back, not in a big hurry to do it if it’s going to be that much higher.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 3:35pm
We’re getting ready to build a 12x24 deck.
I just got a quote and it was twice the normal price. Mainly the treated.
Randy WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 4:50pm
We have our own saw mill and my wife is local use certified  so I have not bought any lumber lately.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 11:15pm
Coke...tells Galen to nail the dirty side inside, against the studs, that leaves the clean side out for the AH inspector to gawk at! there are plenty of things he can use that plywood for!
Wayne180d View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne180d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2021 at 12:08am
Just ordered a new trailer was up $400 over what I was quoted a month when I began looking biggest increase was $10 a foot surcharge for the lumber on the trailer.
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2021 at 8:55am
I sold some logs last fall, because the trees were mature, and was surprised at how much the they brought.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2021 at 9:24am
Walnut brought some big money last summer, still selling well where the trees of the southern pine basic lumber forests seem to just be standing and waiting.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic