This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Time to go pro-active

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Time to go pro-active
    Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 7:40am
I'm not what you would call an avid shooter, so for the most part, have been content to stick with factory loads for big bore rifles. That is about to change for a couple reasons. One is concern about future supply, the other simply relates to the hobby aspect of wanting accurate loads for long distance shooting. For now, only worried about a small group of big bore rifles, all of which are bolt actions and all similar enough the same powders and primers will work for all. Only different consumables would be the bullets. Low volume (50 to 100 each) high quality is the goal. Already have plenty of spent brass for all, just looking for a way to reload it. In the past, had a friend that loaded mine, but he has moved out of state and that is no longer an option.

So plan is to start accumulating tools of the trade. Time is on my side, as there is no hurry. This could play out over a year or so. May speed up if things break loose, but otherwise, gonna start picking stuff off as I find it. Powder measure, press and dies, plus all the rest. Has been a while since I was exposed to this type of loading, but know the basics. Already have a Texan balance beam powder scale that goes with a shot shell loader.

My question is.....when it comes to powder measures, presses, dies, etc. are there flagships that stand out? I'm familiar with RCBS stuff like the Uniflow measure, Rock Chucker and Rebel presses, etc. Less familiar with Horny or Redding stuff. 

And just a simple single stage press is all I'll need.
Sponsored Links

Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 9:09am
I’ve been getting along fine (low volume) with a Lee anniversary kit.
I believe a rock chucker to be an awesome single stAge press.
I have an RCBS pro trimmer 2 and really like it opposed to my Lee hand trimmer.
I do a lot of /23/556 with crimped primers so case prep savings is what I’m after.
I haven’t used the unit low yet. The Lee works ok with ball powder. Powder and conditions are the deciding factor in how well a powder measure works.
I weigh and trickle every hunting load.
I’m a fan of RCBS but know that they’re owned by Vista and making some things over seas. Dillon is top Dog and top price. I
There is a forum called the high road. The reloading section is a wealth of knowledge. They allow absolutely no BS
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 12:39pm
Lots of good brands out there and I've got stuff from most of them. I use a Redding press that I don't think they make anymore. Have dies from Reddiing, RCBS, Bonanza, and Pacific. The old Pacific dies before Hornady took over are my favorites. I use an old Redding powder measure and a Lyman/Ohaus scale. Trim brass with a Forrester trimmer, they may be part of Bonanza, memory's fuzzy you know. For shotgun shells it's hard to beat MEC, if they are even in business anymore.

Things have changed a lot since I bought my stuff, 30 or so years ago.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 9:04am
There will be an abundance of reloading equipment for cheap when/if the ammo shortage clears. Equipment and components are flying off the shelves and rendered stock non existent.
I’ve been looking for a couple shell plates that sell new for around $35.00
Just saw a used one bring $139.00
On EBay.
Local store has been selling small rifle primers for over $300.00 per thousand. On Gun Broker.
It’s maddening
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 9:50am
More fun stuff.......was going through some boxes of old reloading stuff I was handed last time to the farm (my sister was cleaning up the old armory....(my old bedroom), and among other things, found this:

Copyright is 1970. Surprised to see that powders and primers listed then are still valid today. Could probably use those loads and not be too far off for the few calibers I'm concerned about.

But then I was surfing around and came across a new twist.......Alliant powders......which is a new name to me. I know about IMR 4350 and 4064......but Alliant also makes a 4350 and 4064. Same or different? Would probably take a modern era reloading manual to know.

Speaking of that, Midway has a modern era Lyman manual, and I have one coming.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 9:59am
Reloading data says they’re different.
I use IMR 4350 in my 25-06.
I’m looking to switch to a better flowing powder on other rounds.
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 10:00am
On things loosening up, I expect that will be the case. Hoarders and black market making a killing now, but won't want to be left holding the bag when the music stops. Guys queuing up to buy anything on the shelves, only to turn around to sell it on ebay or gunbroker will be in a panic to shed it all once things turn south.

Once that happens, and they stop buying shelves will start stocking up again. Or at least, that is my hope. But once stuff starts showing up, that will be an indication the storm has passed. Starting to see signs of it now.

But in the meantime, I am putting together the tools for reloading. Have found a sympathetic soul who had one of everything and was gifted a second set of one of everything, and is making one of those available for a good price.

So my plan is to continue putting together the basic tools and supplies......enough to last through a 5 year drought. Which for me, isn't much (1,000 primers would last me years) but takes the worry out of it.

modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 10:39am
Hmmmm......apparently Alliant was Hercules. Good to know as almost all my shot shell loading was done with those......red and green dot.

Hard to keep track of these outfits. They get passed around more than Miley Cyrus on a Sat**day night. Shocked
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 11:16am
Environmental issues and they sell off again and again displacing responsibility!!
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2021 at 10:35am
Originally posted by modirt modirt wrote:

Hmmmm......apparently Alliant was Hercules. Good to know as almost all my shot shell loading was done with those......red and green dot.

Hard to keep track of these outfits. They get passed around more than Miley Cyrus on a Sat**day night. Shocked
I am a big fan of Alliant powder. The reloader series for rifles in particular. Goes through a measure very nicely! Also used quite a bit of there shotgun and pistol powder too.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2021 at 1:44pm
Y'all probably already understand but have to be cautious when working older powder charts as some numbered products have changed from stick to ball and vs a vs.  They will measure out differently by later charts.  Older powders utilize older charts, newer use only newer charts.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2021 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

Y'all probably already understand but have to be cautious when working older powder charts as some numbered products have changed from stick to ball and vs a vs.  They will measure out differently by later charts.  Older powders utilize older charts, newer use only newer charts.

My reasoning for a new manual.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2021 at 2:17pm
Just remember with old stock not to use New manual.  Got a powder for my .308 from a friend that quit reloading, IMR4895.  His was stick, current is ball, TOTALLY different scale methodology.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2021 at 3:07pm
All the powder I use now isn’t even listed in my 2002 Lee reloading manual. I do have some old imr 4350 I will use in my 25-06 but I already have the load recorded and the same bullets I always used.
After using ball powder it would be hard to go back to stick powder. I had to weigh each load low and trickle every load.
I’ll keep my single stage setup just for that rifle.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic