This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Poured Silo ??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Poured Silo ??
    Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 4:44pm
How did the manufacturer/erector get the concrete roof on an 80' silo ??
Sponsored Links

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 7:39pm
Scaffolding - 

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 5:09pm
Thanks Coke, so the roof wasn't brought on-site and elevated as the forms went up ?
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 6:51pm
Helicopter!
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 7:21pm

seen a LOT of equipment set on the roofs that way !!!  Wink
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 8:05pm
Poured silos were more expensive than cement stave silos. Poured silos were formed and poured so many feet a day as the concrete had to hardened to support the next pour. Roof was formed and poured in place unless it was an open top silo then a metal roof could be installed. Not many poured silos in our area mostly cement stave and Harvestore Blue Monuments!
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 8:42pm
I've spent more than 50 years in the poured concrete silo construction business. We have used a Weaver system since 1975 which consists of 3 rings of forms each 4' high. Normally pour 12' per day unless the weather is real cold or the silo is a large diameter with lot of rebar.  Conical concrete roofs (17 degree)  have a self supporting form that can easily be setup and the roof poured in one day up to 24' dia. Concrete is usually hoisted with a crane. Usually stripped the next day.
Grain storage silos typically have a flat concrete roof supported by steel beams and decking. The next generation has taken over. We sold the farm silo division in 1994 and since have been building mostly commercial grain storage with the largest diameter to date being 86' x 132' . This silo holds 570,000 bu. There is over 100 yards on concrete on the roof.  Some silos are drive through etc . Also built a 24' x 312' chimney and 15 or so municipal water tower pedestals  for something different! 
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2021 at 7:08am
Huh!  I can't say as I've ever noticed a concrete roof.  Interesting.  
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2021 at 7:11am
hmm... do they paint or otherwise cover the concrete roof  to protect it from rain/snow melt ?
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2021 at 7:26am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

hmm... do they paint or otherwise cover the concrete roof  to protect it from rain/snow melt ?

No type of covering, just the bare concrete. My 20x72 Weaver Star silo roof has about a 2-12 pitch to it with about 3-4" i beams for reinforcement in the concrete. 

Edited by nella(Pa) - 09 Feb 2021 at 7:47am
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2021 at 8:19am
Around southern WI, where I grew up, and worked for neighbors, there were a few poured concrete silos in the area. Generally none were painted, except for those that were close to a major highway, those had a painted advertisement facing the roadway. Usually ‘Red Man’, or ‘Mail Pouch’ chewing tobacco.

Edited by Lars(wi) - 09 Feb 2021 at 8:20am
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2021 at 1:02pm
Silo across from our farm on county road is poured, unused and no intention of doing anything with it except watch it corrupt over time.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2021 at 1:23pm
I've seen several poured silos.  Seen the Red Man or Beechnut ones (or barns) in the KY TN area.  Not any nearby that I can think of but maybe one somewhere.  Always seen metal roof or open, can't ever remember a poured roof anywhere.  Around here, stave silos like ours was, tile silos, or Harverstore.  Not that there's anything wrong with it, but poured roof seems like an unnecessary pain in the butt to build.  JMO.  
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2021 at 1:51pm
I have never seen a poured roof on a silo in the area. That is very interesting.
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2021 at 2:10pm
Most poured silos with concrete roofs in our area were Grain Elevators.
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2021 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by klinemar klinemar wrote:

The poured silos with a poured roof are sealed silos with a bottom unloader like a Harvestore silo for silage and high moisture corn also.

Edited by nella(Pa) - 09 Feb 2021 at 3:41pm
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2021 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by Calvin Schmidt Calvin Schmidt wrote:

I've spent more than 50 years in the poured concrete silo construction business. We have used a Weaver system since 1975 which consists of 3 rings of forms each 4' high. Normally pour 12' per day unless the weather is real cold or the silo is a large diameter with lot of rebar.  Conical concrete roofs (17 degree)  have a self supporting form that can easily be setup and the roof poured in one day up to 24' dia. Concrete is usually hoisted with a crane. Usually stripped the next day.
Grain storage silos typically have a flat concrete roof supported by steel beams and decking. The next generation has taken over. We sold the farm silo division in 1994 and since have been building mostly commercial grain storage with the largest diameter to date being 86' x 132' . This silo holds 570,000 bu. There is over 100 yards on concrete on the roof.  Some silos are drive through etc . Also built a 24' x 312' chimney and 15 or so municipal water tower pedestals  for something different! 

Thank you VERY much for the reply Calvin ClapClap !! That is pretty much the "pitch" of the multiple silos that I saw that tweaked my curiosity WinkWink
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2021 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

Huh!  I can't say as I've ever noticed a concrete roof.  Interesting.  

Travel US 31 south of South Bend between the SR 4 exit and the Plymouth Parkway exit and look right Wink.
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2021 at 8:36pm
Most of the poured concrete farm silos built since the late 1950's that are 16'-24' dia are in eastern Wisconsin, Indiana, Ohio, PA, and Ontario. The first system that I started with was built in Milwaukee and the rings were 2' high. The Weaver 4' system was invented and built by a silo builder in PA looking for a better system in the mid sixties and quickly adapted by the industry. The big flat grain silos roofs are not actually flat. The beams have a slight built in camber so the water runs off. We have had roofs with as many as 46 openings. Multiple fill points, vents, power vents, temp cable boxes, etc. Typically grain silos have a coating on the roof about 30% or the time or at the owners request. Farm silos usually do not  have a coating.   
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2021 at 8:43pm
The older poured silos in our area had poured roofs, the old 12x40, 14x40 types that decades ago was on a farm that had 35-45 or so dairy cows. The larger ones poured in the 60’s or early 70’s, that were 20x70, or larger with multiple silos, those had metal(or tin) roofs.
The old ones had a open channel from the ground to the roof about 2ft wide that you needed to stack the doors on end to end as you filled the silo. The newer ones actually had a door on a hinge that stayed in place, much like a stave silo.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 6:42am
Originally posted by klinemar klinemar wrote:

Maybe....I've seen the grain elevator style.  There's an elevator not too far from here (40 miles), that I've never done business with, but have seen many times.  Definitely an installation of poured silos....honestly can't picture the roofs clearly enough to remember if poured or not.  But, commercial grain installation, not a "farm", as I was originally thinking.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 1:52pm
About 10 to 15 years ago a poured silo caught fir and the fire deptarment was on top pouring the water to it when it blowed up killing the fireman that were standing on top. To must steam pressure inside
Orangeinwisco View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orangeinwisco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 3:41pm
I have 4 of them. Three have poured roofs, and one never finished. I just moved in a year ago, so only know of a story why the last one wasn't finished. Alot of poured around NE Wisconsin, but most have metal roofs. If I can figure out pictures, I will post.
TramwayGuy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TramwayGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2021 at 3:52pm
I’ve worked with the Sky Crane on a large Ski Lift...
Robert0s View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert0s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 7:30am
Usually there are 2 options for them: Ski Lift or helicopter. Each of them has both advantages and negative sides but usually depends on the type of building. Recently we had a situation with silo roof failure not far away from my work. It was reported that the work was done incorrectly by the construction company and the roof failure was the matter of time. Too good no one was injured during that. Of course, they wanna change the company and I heard they wanna hire Concrete Contractors. I've recently seen their description at https://www.concretecontractorsfortworthtexas.com/ and they provide different concrete services. Maybe I gonna hire them to repair my roof too, :D

Edited by Robert0s - 08 Nov 2021 at 11:53am
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 11:41pm
The walls of most concrete silage towers were built with slip-form process... inner and outer rings as noted.   I have not SEEN those form ring setups, but my neighbor explained how his two concrete silos were built using those forms.  The inner ring form 'walked' up the interior of the silo as each successive lift was poured, and the inner ring's center area was basically a large 'wheel, with the center 'hub' being a pivot point for a gin-pole jib boom which reached over the edge to lift up concrete.   The 'spokes' of the wheel went to the forms below as 'flat' but above were inclined upward, to support the jib's pivot.

once the finished height was reached, the 'spokes' of the center were covered with plywood, and a THIN layer of concrete was poured, and rebar sections placed atop this concrete, with another thin layer placed atop the rebar.  Once the layers began to set up, they started pouring more concrete around the root (the wall tops), and steadily working upward to the jib boom pivot.  Then they allowed it to fully set up, the lifted up the (relatively small) concrete precast 'cap', and set it on the side of the lid in some convenient place, dismantled the jib, and lowered it's pieces down through the center hole, then slid the cap into place, and used the platform's jacks to lower the platform back down to the ground, disassemble it, and pass the framework and plywood out the access portal in the bottom.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2021 at 3:45am
had a family that did poured grain bins/silos that lived near my town. they were poured and had peaked poured concrete roofs. the guys son built his house out of them, conected by poured walk ways in between them, think there are 3 or 4 of them all connected. the dad also made his 2 car garage out of one, they rode out a tornado in the garage one night. no damage. others in our area and around the state have ones he built. they to are unpainted except a blue star on them. the guys last name was Burmiester, he has passed a few years ago, son never continued the business.
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2021 at 7:03am
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

How did the manufacturer/erector get the concrete roof on an 80' silo ??

I had a uncle in the 1940's that worked for the contractor that poured silo's for Stocks Mill in Hilsdale Michigan. They had elevators that brought the cement to a scaffolding and dumped it into wheelbarrows that was dumped by hand into the forms. The scaffolding was raised as the forms came up.  I was to young to remember much except the stories my uncle told. His stories were not technical as you might expect. My uncle was a wheelbarrow operator. (:^D 

Edited by Dick L - 05 Nov 2021 at 7:07am
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2021 at 12:42pm
Had a glass company move into town and built a plant, and poured a couple of huge silos, using slip forms. If I remember right they worked on those silos 24 hours a day.
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic