This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Driving across a frozen lake

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Driving across a frozen lake
    Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 12:30am
Anybody ever do it? Darn grandson drove down a steep ungraded hill with his ford car now can't get back up the hill. I don't have good snow tires on my new pickup, just all seasons. I'm gonna call the DNR guy tomorrow and see if they got a tractor with chains on or see if they can grade the hill. Problem is, I gotta be 125 miles south by 9:00 am and get a guy started cleaning out some fence rows. Dang kid if he had grown up out on the farm, he'd a had enough sense to not drive down there.
Sponsored Links

Strokendiesel002 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 12:47am
I've driven on plenty of lakes. Need at least 8" of solid ice personally. I also keep the windows down just in case. If it's a spring fed lake or on a flowage, probably best to drill some holes along the proposed path. Also need to take into consideration the snow covee on the lake, don't want to d getting stuck, again :)
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 1:57am
I've been watching a lot of Ice Road Truckers, they even drive over the arctic ocean with semis!

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 7:06am
tow truck ?? tractor and long chain
a lot depends on how long is the hill is ?
one of those 'need more info' deals.
like 'car'..itty bitty rice burner or an old Caddy ?
driving on a frozen lake is easy it's getting on and off, that's the 'fun' part(might not be frozen)
any sleds on the lake ??
how much snow on the ice/ snow insulates the ice,so ice doesn't freeze ,so thin...oopsy !

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
NEVER green View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 9:30am

Every year!!!   Myself prefer 10 inches incase the ice isnt the best.
2-8050 1-7080 6080 D-19 modelE & A 7040   R50       
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 9:36am
If it's a front wheel drive, try backing up, that will put more weight on the driving wheels.
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
jiminnd View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jiminnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 10:40am
Lots of ice fishers out, I won't drive on it. Have a lake partially on my farm, seems like every year some one has to fall thru, on last Sat**day I counted about 12 pickups sitting on the ice, maybe a better way than driving on the ice.
1945 C, 1949 WF and WD, 1981 185, 1982 8030, unknown D14(nonrunner)
pinball View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 10:46am
make him put a set of chains on it hi self. 
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 3:09pm
Back when we had serious winters Lake Erie looked like a parking lot. Forgot to mention there is a house at the bottom of Lake Erie they were moving across the ice.

Edited by Walker - 29 Jan 2021 at 3:13pm
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 4:29pm
Kid bought several bags of salt. He and his pal scattered this up the hill, he put the car in gear and very slowly drove up the hill. It is an 07 ford focus. No chains to be found around here that I could find. I did call the DNR today. They told me "Don't drive it across the lake, if it falls thru, he could be liable for millions of dollars in fines for polluting the lake with gas and oil" along with a ferd.   He got very lucky.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 8:17pm
Some years ago, we went to Nort Dakota for Christmas and her younger brother had got a new gas powered ice drill and wanted to go ice fishing,,,so I agreed,,but when he got to the shore,,,he,,,he,,just kept on driving plumb across the friggin lake with me hangin out the window ready to bail out if the dang trk startd to break thru,,,him laughin all the time,,,
 We finally get to a good lookin spotWink,,get out and start drillin thru the ice,,the auger was at least four feets long and he told me,,," Now, soon as it cuts thru, I'm gonna yell "PULL" and we gotta jerk the auger out or the engine will get all wet,,,,WET,,? why would it get "WET",,,,my question is soon answered as bout that time the auger broke thru and,,,and,,there is this HUGE gusher of ICE COLD water that comes gushing OUT OF THE HOLE bout 5 feet high,,and I break and RUN towards shore bout a mile away,,,,I could hear him laughin at me and hollarin "COME BACK" ,,,I finally run out of breath and stop bout a quarter mile away and that AH is still laughin,,,, I finally work my way back and he explains that the weight of all that 4 foot thick ice is pushin down on the water is why it swooshes up when you cut thru,,,,and THAT is the only'ist time I ever wanted on the ice,,,,Clap
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 9:25pm
years ago i moon lighted for a tow company, have lots of interesting stories from that! anyway, boss called me and wanted me to walk out on the Missouri River to hook a cable onto a brand new ferd pickup that one wheel had broken thru the ice. yep...the owners kid! i looked out there and told him to call someone else as i wasn't going out there! the boss couldn't get anyone to go out there and hook up, and no other tow companies would touch it. daddy got home and then found out in the coffee shop where his new pickup was! yeah...cops had to be called! kid walked with a limp and swollen body parts for weeks! the pickup finally did fall thru when the ice melted. was never found. it washed downstream somewhere or got covered in silt. i'd love to go ice fishing...but want a floatable ice house! (yes...some are)
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 9:27pm
Tom...only way that kid is gonna learn is he pay big $$$ for a tow truck in those situations! keep your billfold in your pocket.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 6:47am
well... we all want to know HOW toms grankid got the car out !!! so please lets us know....

LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 7:56am
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

Some years ago, we went to Nort Dakota for Christmas and her younger brother had got a new gas powered ice drill and wanted to go ice fishing,,,so I agreed,,but when he got to the shore,,,he,,,he,,just kept on driving plumb across the friggin lake with me hangin out the window ready to bail out if the dang trk startd to break thru,,,him laughin all the time,,,
 We finally get to a good lookin spotWink,,get out and start drillin thru the ice,,the auger was at least four feets long and he told me,,," Now, soon as it cuts thru, I'm gonna yell "PULL" and we gotta jerk the auger out or the engine will get all wet,,,,WET,,? why would it get "WET",,,,my question is soon answered as bout that time the auger broke thru and,,,and,,there is this HUGE gusher of ICE COLD water that comes gushing OUT OF THE HOLE bout 5 feet high,,and I break and RUN towards shore bout a mile away,,,,I could hear him laughin at me and hollarin "COME BACK" ,,,I finally run out of breath and stop bout a quarter mile away and that AH is still laughin,,,, I finally work my way back and he explains that the weight of all that 4 foot thick ice is pushin down on the water is why it swooshes up when you cut thru,,,,and THAT is the only'ist time I ever wanted on the ice,,,,Clap
DJ, I identified completely with your account! LMAO I never have, and I never will voluntarily be on ice where the water under it is more than ankle deep!

Edited by LouSWPA - 30 Jan 2021 at 7:59am
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 8:00am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

well... we all want to know HOW toms grankid got the car out !!! so please lets us know....

Go back up about 4 posts, looks like Tom already told us.
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 8:12am

AAA is a good investment.

Even better if you know someone who is, if a Member is a Passenger in a vehicle, the vehicle is covered.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 9:45am
oopsy.. was laughing at DJ's gusher story...musta missed the real outcome....

DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 10:02pm
Shameless If the ford didn't fall thru right away how come nobody wanted to hook a chain to it and pull it out before it fell in? When you get up to Wisconsin and Minnesota and a few other states in winter they have circle track and drag races with cars in winter when the ice is safe along with racing just about anything else. During sturgeon spearing Lake Winnebago has areas on the lake that look like small towns and other lakes have fisheries with vehicle traffic.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 11:42pm
Dan...the Missouri is a river, one that barges travel on in summer. mostly about 30 ft deep. the water is always flowing under the ice, and we could see water squirting up around the wheel that had broken thru. would you want to take a chance that you wouldn't fall thru somewhere while walking out to it? i sure didn't and apparently no one else did either. that river is unpredictable all year around. after being there several hours it appeared to have frozen in that hole. that was the assumption looking at it thru binoculars while lit up with a bright lantern.
Jordan(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jordan(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2021 at 5:01am
Surprised you didn’t blame the Ford instead of your grandson.
NEVER green View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2021 at 9:59am

We snowmobile on rivers all the time, skip over the open spots, good fun, same with lakes if they are open.
2-8050 1-7080 6080 D-19 modelE & A 7040   R50       
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2021 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

Dan...the Missouri is a river, one that barges travel on in summer. mostly about 30 ft deep. the water is always flowing under the ice, and we could see water squirting up around the wheel that had broken thru. would you want to take a chance that you wouldn't fall thru somewhere while walking out to it? i sure didn't and apparently no one else did either. that river is unpredictable all year around. after being there several hours it appeared to have frozen in that hole. that was the assumption looking at it thru binoculars while lit up with a bright lantern. 
With one wheel already through, even if you did manage to get a line on it, it's any mans guess which way it was going to go when the winching commenced, up....or down. If it went on through, and sank, how would one get loose from it? If the current was strong enough, could it have taken the tow truck too? I have no knowledge or experience at all in this.....just thinking out loud
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2021 at 11:53pm
yeah Lou...if it was hooked and went on down it would pull the tow truck with, the currant is really strong in that river. i suppose one could have hooked up to a tree just in case...
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2021 at 12:19am
NG...i've had to pull many vehicles out of different bodies of water, some had bodies in them, some didn't. some vehicles have never been found, even the ones we knew went in the water. yes...we had sonar. there is one old quarry lake we've pulled vehicles out of for years. we estimate prolly 50-60 vehicles are down there, it's deep and it's black when you get down aways. Sheriff's dept hired divers several times to take the hooks down and grab some of the vehicles. last time we pulled out a '55 Chevy, '90's Dodge pickup, a 70's Vette, a crown vic, a falcon, a GTX, a couple impalas, and numerous other vehicles, 2 of them had bodies in them...not a pretty sight! 
jiminnd View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jiminnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 3:55pm
There was a post on Jan29 about driving on the ice, I responded about people going thru on the lake on my farm, well, another one did over the weekend, got it out this am.  Would guess the pickup is totaled plus had to get a crew from Mn to get it out.  About 6 feet of water, all you could see was his light bar on the box above the cab.  At least no one got hurt. Most of the lake is 25 to 30 feet, there is a narrow connecting 2 parts that is 6 feet, that is where they always go thru.

Edited by jiminnd - 04 Feb 2021 at 9:29am
1945 C, 1949 WF and WD, 1981 185, 1982 8030, unknown D14(nonrunner)
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 5:48pm

Another one of my Escapades on our "One And Only" trip to Nort Dakota in the winter was when the wife's cousins took us on a Nite time snowmobile ride. There were 12 snowmobiles and the wife and I were a BIG two seater and they put us in the middle of the group,,,,? Riding thru the woods was really nice and we were susspossed to meet up with the Aunts and Uncles at a bar up close to the Canadian border for Steaks and beer,,,,Clap
 All of a sudden I notice the terrain has smoothed out  and the group is now going bout 50 MPH ,,,,and,,,and every so often I see the snowmobile in front of us kicks up BIG showers of water,,,,water,,??,,,,on a forest trail,,?? About 15 minutes later the Leader decides to stop for a 10-100 and I ask Troy,,,,what were all those water sprays back on the trail? He says, "Those are where the fishermen drilled holes in the ice that have not frozen back over"  They all thought it was funnier than Chit that we did not know we had just crossed Fish Lake at the widest part,,,!!!!! They were not able to talk me into another midnite ride,,,,,LOLLOL
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 6:37am
That's a good one Joe!  Around here, we have gypsum quarries, and as you might guess, they're DEEP.  Years ago when we used to ride, we ended up on the quarries messing around.  I was about to "buzz" my brother in law, when all of the sudden he was riding butt-end-low and giving it the gas for all it was worth!  I turned away as sharp as I could, and he was clawing for the ground.  We both made it, but that would have been a cold deep swim!
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 11:11am
What kind of jerk grandfather are you to call the dnr on your own kin? I toned down my real description. You rant on Agtalk how your new pickup can tow a 16 foot tall, 20,000 pound trailer down the interstate at 80mph seems like it should pull a compact car up a hill. Just a thought. Wouldn’t rounding up all the chain you can find and even if it’s 25 or 50 foot time slowly get it up to stable footing. Might take a while but you’ll get there.

When the dnr is involved the best rule is to shoot, shovel and shut up.
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic