This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

metal detectors

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: metal detectors
    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 10:53pm
what are the good ones? i want one that works under water, and do you have to have certain ones for different metals?
Sponsored Links

JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 1:59am
I bought a cheap $50 one at HF, found a couple things out in the field, will work if just the locator part is under water, maybe 18".
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 5:40am
under water ? OK, how deep is the water, what kind (salt or regular).....what are you 'fishing' for ?  How big an area ? small pond or ocean ?
All are important but generally the more you spend, the deeper and more accurate you can locate 'things'.
One thing I know... when you finally find your property stakes, dig down a foot and place a brake rotor around the iron 'bar'. THAT way ,you CAN find it with a $50 economy detector !
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 6:56am

Magnet Fishing seems to be getting popular, especially around Marinas.
Robert Musgrave View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert Musgrave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 10:17am
  Some of the popular brands are Garrett, Whites, Bounty Hunter.  Expect to pay top $ for ones that operate submerged.  R. Musgrave
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 4:01pm

Well,,,,,I KNOW,,,EXACTLY why my Buddy"might" be wantin a metal detector,,,,,,Me thinks he might of forgot where some of them "Coffee Can Treasure Holes" might be located ,,,out back,,,,
 I "used" to do that and kept forgettin as well,,,so now I put a flag pole  "close by" and I don't gotta dig up the whole friggin yard,,,,,,,,smart, huh,,,?   WinkWink
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 5:07pm
My dad bought a White about 50 years ago. I used it a few years ago to find property line stakes. Took some getting used to but it worked.

Unless you are in salt water I don't think it would be an issue.
Don't know much and am certain of that so....
Scott B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 5:16pm
For some reason I now have this bad visual of metal detector + Speedo swim suit + Shameless
D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 5:18pm
There are Immerse-able heads and Non immerse-able's, life of latter shortens quickly as the coils are not sealed and corrosion takes over.
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 9:20pm
Do you want to be able to take the entire detector underwater? Most of the lower-level name brands have coils that can be submerged, and the shaft, but not the control box. Fine for wading on the beach or in a creek, but not fine for diving down 10'. Just have a sling and don't drop the whole thing in the water.

Garret, Fisher, Minelab etc. all make detectors that can do both. The fully submersible ones are just more expensive. I got a Fisher F22 about a year ago. Haven't spent as much time with it as I'd like, and there's a bit of a learning curve at first, but I can pretty well tell if I'm over a nail, old beer can, or a penny or silver coin at this point. Cheapie detectors (like HF ones) don't discriminate well, or at all... Meaning there's no telling if you're digging up nail after nail, or a gold coin. I probably spent a total of 10 hours at the old farmstead getting used to mine and dug up all kinds of cool junk, and then finally found a 1920s standing liberty quarter (silver). One of my neighbors growing up was into metal detecting and gave me the bug. He's found all sorts of cool stuff over the years.

What do you plan on doing with it?

Edited by wjohn - 29 Jan 2021 at 9:21pm
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 9:38pm
mostly around edges of lakes, boat ramps, our creek, beaches, yards. Joe...my cash cans are plastic. Gary...i tried the magnet fishing...kept breaking the lines, finally put a heavy nylon rope on the magnet (the magnet was a BIG sucker) and it now sits glued to something really heavy just off the end of a boat ramp. i don't have nuff muscle to pull whatever it's slapped on, and the rope won't break! someday i'll hook my pickup to the rope and try that. i tied the rope off under water to something solid, i still know where it's at, will wait for warmer weather. the old lady....ooooops....i mean the loving wife has talked about being interested in this too. maybe it'll keep her outta my hair after she retires?   
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 9:40pm
Scott...amend that to a pashonate pink speedo! LMAO
GARY(OH/IN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARY(OH/IN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 11:07pm
I called on an ad for one and drove to the ritzy part of town. It's a White this guy bought new for his kids to play with but they got bored and he wanted $40.00. It works great on survey stakes and small parts that fall in the grass.
Hey shameless, what your plan when using it? Drive a golf cart or float in a boat?
Make sure you write it off as a  small tool on your taxes.
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 10:01am
I wonder if he's gonna take up scuba diving!!! In a passionate pink Speedo??? LOL
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 2:31pm
already have my scuba certification, have had for years before speedos were popular!
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 3:21pm

Well Chit,, Shameless,,,there might be a brand new Dodge Diesel 4X4 Dual Cab trk,,,,WITH a big brand new  BOAT tied on the end of your magnet,,,,!!! Wait til it warms up some and me and Thad and ,,,SAY,,,I just remembered that ole JohnKC gots a retriever type BIG AZZed boat where he works and we can use that to bring up that ,,,treasure Trk and boat,,,,but you gots to promise to split the profits 4 ways,,,?????
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 6:29pm
Same here, scuba diver years ago. Thought I enjoyed it here locally. That is until I went to Panama and dove in the Atlantic ocean, warm beautiful water. Cold and muddy water around here.   I came home and sold my gear.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2021 at 12:10am
i'd be happy to just gets my magnet back!
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2021 at 10:16am
If you want to go underwater with it you'll have to shell out some cash. Another thing I'll say is there are some that are designed to handle salt water, which are even more expensive than ones for fresh water. Not sure if you'd ever want to be able to do that. I have no experience with those fancy detectors, but let us know what you get!
NDBirdman View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDBirdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2021 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by HD6GTOM HD6GTOM wrote:

Same here, scuba diver years ago. Thought I enjoyed it here locally. That is until I went to Panama and dove in the Atlantic ocean, warm beautiful water. Cold and muddy water around here.   I came home and sold my gear.

I could almost have typed that except I went to Saudi and dove the Persian Gulf.  After that salt-water diving, I could not bring myself to dive the mud here again.  Still have some stuff but there's no way you could pry me into that gear again, not even with bear grease.... LOL.

I have a White's MD, wasn't the cheap version.  I always wanted one for diving but a good one was and probably still is very expensive.  Mine has not been used in years, wonder if it still works?  Someday.... might help in reducing a spare tire, or 3.  My coil is safe for water, but the box is not.

Edited by NDBirdman - 31 Jan 2021 at 9:12pm
1955 WD45 S#205467, 190XT #6652 DXT
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 9:18pm
Bought mine from Wal Mart years ago and it was OK. Certainly didn't compare to White but it's done what I wanted it to. I've had the head under water and had no problems with it. You know how it is working on something outside and you drop the tinniest screw or spring in the gravel. Works good for that too.    Leon
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 11:45pm
i'm sure i'll just use it in the small lakes and creeks around here, maybe in lakes where we camp, i don't think i wanna go under water to much anymore, will hafta re-think that part. i'm sure i'll be able to find alot of missing tools around the farmstead and check our creek some. would like to use it in some creeks in CO for gold and such...prolly will buy one just before the old lady....ooooops....i mean the loving wife retires so i can practice with it...thanks ya'll for the comments and info! 
NDBirdman View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDBirdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 10:03am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

would like to use it in some creeks in CO for gold and such...

Fisher makes good gold detectors, decently priced, minelab makes awesome gold detectors but be prepared to sell the farm to buy one.  My White has gold program as well as all round detecting.  Don't get discouraged when all you hear are beeps/squeels and all you find is garbage, decent detectors take a little time to get used to, cheapies, well, you get what you pay for.  Mid range ($) detectors have pretty good discrimination adjustment, you don't want to dig every piece of junk you find.  Well, until you get it figured out, you want to dig every signal you get, no better way to learn the sounds/nuances of your machine.  You can find good, upper quality detectors used, good bargains.  And, learn to dig/cover your holes properly.  Nothing will get you kicked off faster from private property or public property/fined than not having permission.  When you retrieve an item, you should imagine you are on a manicured lawn and no one will be able to see where you dug when finished.  Always seek permission, is easier to hear no as a reply than to have long arm of the revenuer, er law, arresting you.  That goes for all properties.  Any goberment/state/fed property, read, read, read the laws, many of those, even way out in the desert, can get you arrested!  You may be out in the mountains/desert, etc, no one around, looking for gold flakes and get tapped on the shoulder by a seriously mean/pissed off claim owner.  Best for that is to join that area's prospecting club, it could keep you out of jail.  Finding a mentor to go with, maybe even one that also goes camping is ideal for learning and fun. 
Don't think I'm trying to discourage you, it is a blast, I did it all over the US and Germany, had tons of fun/enjoyment.  I had my run-ins with folks when I first started, I did it pretty hard as a hobby for a good 20 years in my younger days.  Again, a mentor will put you years ahead in the hobby as there is so much you could learn.  If it weren't for this dayum covid crap, I would be happy to meet/camp/swing a detector with you somewhere.  Until then, good luck and have fun.

(sorry for being long winded, I do love this hobby!)

Look around under kellyco, they carry most brands.

Edited by NDBirdman - 05 Feb 2021 at 10:06am
1955 WD45 S#205467, 190XT #6652 DXT
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 1:00pm
Seconding NDBirdman on using them for gold, you'll have to spend a little more on one that is designed for that. My Fisher F22 was $220 and probably wouldn't be much good for finding gold flakes and nuggets. It's light years over a $50 cheapie for figuring out what kind of metal (silver, copper, iron) you're scanning over, though.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic