This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

feed corn

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: feed corn
    Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 10:22pm
I want to grow a few acres of dent corn to feed to my livestock.  Not so much for saving money but for learning the process.  I've grown sweet corn, but seem to lose it to racoons, storms, etc.  New house and land so I have lots of room to try.
I cannot find any place to buy it local (Tulsa).  Any suggestions on how to source it without drive 300 miles and buying a truckload?
Owner of OKtractor.com PM for an instant response on parts. Open M-F 9-6 Central.

We have new and used parts. 877-378-6543
Sponsored Links

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 10:28pm
Sam's club used to sell seed corn...think it was United Seeds. i did plant some years ago, bought 2 bags for cheap, they yielded just as good as my other brands. about anyone that sells seed can ship it to you, prolly by FedEx or others. just contact the companies, tell them what you need, what plate size, what seed size, what maturity, what height, ect.  
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 8:05am
You can't buy seed in Tulsa, OK??? That's odd.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 8:30am
Check under AG Services industries in your local directories.  I know MFA in MO and you are not far from the line, has Seed Corn can buy by the bag.
Brian F(IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian F(IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 10:55am
lt will depend on the seed grower and seed size, but a "normal" bag of seedcorn is enough to plant about 2.5 acres.  Ultimately, it will depend on your planter settings e.g. population count.
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 4:50pm
What is “dent corn”? Why not grow field corn for livestock?
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 5:04pm
We always called it Horse Corn, same variety all have been planting for the last few years.  Feed corn, Seed Corn, Horse Corn, Dent corn all the same.  Comes down to as dries kernels 'Dent' forms as moisture drop collapses kernel husk.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 8:09pm
We called it ‘field corn’.
Make sure you get the correct variety for your frost zone.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 8:52pm
Any Ag store or seed rep should be able to get you treated seed for planting. If planning to do yourself, ask a local farmer to help get you set up. It’s a little more than just putting seed in the ground and let it grow. If your looking for feed, look for a local elevator or may even just drive down the road to any farm you see storage tanks and ask if they are willing to sell a few tons. Most likely will get you pointed in the correct direction.
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 9:00pm
I have sometimes just ordered seed online for trials, end up paying a shipping cost but that will keep you from driving around I guess and expedite a little. I haven’t been to Tulsa in about 20 years, there was a lot of corn grown back then in the area, did something change?
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 9:13pm
i think the seed companies still call it: #2 yellow corn.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 11:46am
common corn UNLESS you are talking about OPEN POLLINATED varieties which are the old kind before hybrids. ---- they say its better for feed but yields less and dont stand very well ----weak stalks. I never grew it so dont know the quality of of it for sure.
IF you choose hybrid type----make sure you get the roundup kind! ----makes the weed/grass problem a whole lot better to control.
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by allisbred allisbred wrote:

Any Ag store or seed rep should be able to get you treated seed for planting. If planning to do yourself, ask a local farmer to help get you set up. It’s a little more than just putting seed in the ground and let it grow. If your looking for feed, look for a local elevator or may even just drive down the road to any farm you see storage tanks and ask if they are willing to sell a few tons. Most likely will get you pointed in the correct direction.

WinkYou mean that New York rich guy did not know Confused what he was talking about.LOLLOLLOL
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 6:16pm
Schumways seed catalogue has the old fashioned kind. They also have some of the best shoepeg sweet corn you can grow. We planted a lot of it for organic sweet corn.
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2021 at 2:01pm
I have some seed (supposed to be from food bank) that has a little husk around each kernel. I planted it in the garden, plant was only about 3ft tall, ear was only a few inches long. Is that what you are talking about? I never knew exactly what to call it. Not sure what could be done with it though.
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2021 at 2:29pm
If we are talking about plain old Roundup Ready field corn, that is available all over the place.

What you may be looking for is something more exotic......like Reid's yellow dent corn, which will mean you may have to get creative and find an online seller and have it shipped to you. MO Southern Seed in Rolla, MO has it listed on their website, but I don't see any prices listed. BTW, MO Southern is a great place to go looking for cover crops, food plot mixes, etc.

Either way, 1 Bu should plant about 4 to 5 acres.

Next question is......how you gonna harvest it? Or just let it stand for the wildlife?
kjs View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kjs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2021 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by allisbred allisbred wrote:

I have some seed (supposed to be from food bank) that has a little husk around each kernel. I planted it in the garden, plant was only about 3ft tall, ear was only a few inches long. Is that what you are talking about? I never knew exactly what to call it. Not sure what could be done with it though.

That is called pod corn.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic