This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Christmas cooking

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Christmas cooking
    Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 8:07pm
is done! Smoked 6 butts today and made a little over 4 gallons of brunswick stew, got one butt and 2 quarts of stew left. I need to build an outdoor kitchen like ole Shameless and increase my cooking capacity. Tomorrow I will get a small pork roast for my bride to boil and get the broth to make gravy for our Christmas breakfast.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Sponsored Links

desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 8:57pm

DANG,,, Hubert,,,,3 days before Christmas and you done cookin,,,?? Chit..I just barely brought that big 22.5 Pounder in from the garage freezer for a slow defrost,,,, The wife says she wants to do the turkey this year and I'm not really wantin to knock her d*** in the dirt,,so I'ma gonna let her give it a shot,,,BUT,,I be close by for "coachin" should the need arise,,,,Clap She hasn't done any cookin in a couple of years and really wants to help,,and,,,,and,,,I ain't a'gonna be the one to say no,,,,,!!   Our youngest, Jamie is gonna make bout 5 dozen Tamales with red pork,,UMMmmm!! He made some last year that were many wonderfuls,,,Clap Also the mashed taters and Turkey Gravy. I'm making the Turkey Dressing as a casserol, the fruit Salad, and the sweet peas in milk gravy. PLUS,,My favorite, a BIG sweet tater cooked in the oven. Reckon thats enough groceries for 5 people,,,???

OH,,,,And A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS to everybody here,,,I LOVE YOU all,,,,Clap
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 9:46pm
i have a large prime rib roast ready for the smoker, might do the taters in the smoker too. don't ya'll eat to much so that the meat wagon has to come haul you away! 
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 6:28am
Jenny got a nice ham for Thanksgiving. A schedule change had her working that day. I asked her to save it for Christmas.
Tomorrow night I’ll make a buttermilk and a pecan pie.
Speaking of Tamalis, our neighbor across the road just brought us a dozen and I put in an order for 3 more dozen. They are some kind of wonderful.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 9:07am

Hey Shameless,,never tried taters in the smoker before,,,you just wrap em in foil,,??
 Yeah,,Thad,,Tamales are great finger food but it real easy to eat toooo many,,,so three dozen ought to be just bout right,,,,,WinkWink I like to do a quick fry on em and roll em up on a flour tortilla while I watch Tv in the mornings,,,,,,,,WinkWink
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2020 at 10:22am
I am smoking pork loin for our Christmas dinner this evening . Merry Christmas Everyone
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2020 at 9:20pm
Joe....i cube them, put them in a wire basket, and put on the top shelf of the smoker. they are in there for bouts 2 hours at 275 degrees. leave the skin on. about 3/4 to 1 inch cubes.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2020 at 11:21pm
I had planned on beef tenderloin and either lobster (for her) or shrimp.  We both ate too much for lunch, so we weren't hungry and ended up having an omelet.  Baby Bella's, onions, smoked sausage, cheese and green olives, with toast.  Made us both happy enough.  Maybe the tenderloin and whatever tomorrow.....
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2020 at 12:33am
the other night we found a bottle of wine we didn't know/forgot we had, sooooooo....i cooked up a couple ribeye's to go along with the wine. got a foil pan, slobbered sum butter all over the bottom of it, poured a can of Cambells french onion condensed soup in the pan, then poured a small bottle of CokaCola in, placed the steaks in the pan, added sum SPG over the top, then placed aluminum foil over it all. 1 hour cook time on lowest setting on the grill. the steaks come out well done and VERY tender. had sum yams with and the wine....was YUMMY!
Fishiluo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fishiluo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 6:10am

Definitely Christmas is the most important day of the year, so you need to cook something special. I remember when I was a kid, my mum used to cook my turkey with smashed potatoes, so delicious So now when I got older, I started to cook this meal for me and my kids. I even found on https://www.thewindupspace.com/best-pull-out-organizers-for-pots-and-pans/ how to organize my pans and pots, to make my cooking experience easier, and it worked. What about you, what's your favorite Christmas recipe?

Edited by Fishiluo - 17 Feb 2021 at 11:16am
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 7:28pm
Wink What timing for this to come to the top.LOL My wonderful wife and cook had something not agree with her Sat night ,took yesterday off. Still not real perky today. Looked over her pre planed menu suggestions. Had prime rib roast left overs from Christmas as a bunch of stockholder decided to stay away.  Prime rib, mashed taters, and sweet corn from the patch, taters was the only new cooking. 

Wink Still real good stuff.Clap

Oh after feeding cows I gave her a covid test.Wink The big rain the end of Jan spurred the narcissi bulbs and the first buds are breaking open. Only had about 3 inches of stem , but waved them under nose LOL and was told back up with those stinky things.

Spring will manage to out do that silly pretty machine even for those falling off the bottom of the scale on the thermometers today. Wink Spring is coming my way Clap the perks of dealing with Fruits and Nuts going commy in my hood.Angry
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 8:42pm
Ray, I would suspect the sweet corn. That stuff will spoil in no time. A week ago Sat**day wife and I ate at a fast food chicken joint about mid afternoon and a few hours later I was having acute abdominal pains, it even hurt to breathe. Thought I would have to go to the ER but I made it through the night by staying in the recliner. No diarrhea or vomiting, just a tremendous amount of gas.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 10:42am
Thanks for the heads up on corn, but that was not on Sat menu. It was cut off the cob and frozen right away, just taken out of the freezer when she dug up the prime rib that had been frozen right after Christmas that we had last night.

I know what your talking about with stomach pain from gas. Back 10 years or so had several bouts with something that kick my behind big time. Even a few sips of water would bring on new bloating. Dang near had real trouble from dehydration one night. Since the body can still a big mystery to science, I don't know if any connection but since my gallbladder was removed have not had a attack.  

Just struck me as a funny coincidence that the topic was waiting for me after having Christmas left overs. My Wonderful has taken to putting notes on the calendar so goodies like the prime rib don't get forgotten until they are not so good.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 10:40pm
ray...do you shrink wrap the meat before putting it in the freezer? cooked or uncooked, you should do that, keep any air away from it. suffer from gas huh? any of ya'll wanna have a pharting contest? hehehehehehe!
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 11:29am
Well with that hehehehehehe!............ so if your as good as you think Evil Smile I don't want to deflate you.LOL

For short term storage we don't vacuum pack. Less than 6 months is short term around here. It was cooked but real rare, as even heated through good still very red in spots. 

Despite a lot of false information you can freeze and thaw meat more than once without hurting the eating.  As many as 2 or 3 times, red meat more so than poultry. But really believe vacuum packing is better way to freeze most if not everything.

We had a Texas transplant that had a big following as a BBQ guy out here. Combined Texas with Spanish influenced Vaquero ways ( Wink never get in a hurry, if your not horseback problem doesn't need doing LOL ) could cook about anything on a open fired wood grill. Anyway, he stocked up on top sirloin when it was on sale (Wink I knew several of you cheap guys would like that LOL ). By the big vacuum pack bags and cut everything himself. Be he would keep it in just the refrigerator for up to 2 months. Vacuum packed and he was not in and out of that fridge everyday all helped.   
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic