This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

271 fuel pump

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaltDevore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 271 fuel pump
    Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 9:40pm
Well Gentlemen, the saga continues.

I received an universal fuel pump rebuild kit for my HD5G and of course it's not the right one.  More than that, my parts book the covers all serial numbers does not show this kind of pump.  So a new pump is on order.  I think the side spring plunger mechanism is the problem and don't know if the one in the kit would work.  I don't want to open it  and lose the ability to return it.  The parts guy thinks this is a very old original pump.  It looks too simple, how can it pump?  The double gear is not there.  Any suggestions?
Here are the pictures:

Sponsored Links

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 11:56pm
Call it a Wankel engine and you will understand - the rotor is off center on the shaft and travels a elliptical circle inside housing thus creating cavitation and displacement as it travels , it creates pressure as it displaces fuel and discharges it out side port . while the opposite side of eccentric creates a vacuum to draw fuel in .
 Now just like a gear pump the clearance of rotor to casting of body has to be next to 0 or leakage will just bypass the full eccentric . 
 Might have to face both sides by lapping and then see if a thinner or thicker gasket is needed to get proper clearance of rotor to case clearance .
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
WaltDevore View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaltDevore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2020 at 12:01am
Thanks for that.  Interesting it didn't make the Parts Book.  I guess the non heroic thing to do is be happy I can put an "updated" pump on.  Must be a good reason it became obsolete
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2020 at 8:18am
The gear pump is definitely more positive pressure. I assume you do have fuel getting to the pump? As I remember, you are to leave outlet injector lines loose and crank with racks closed until fuel purges air from injectors. It's all in the manual.
WaltDevore View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WaltDevore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2020 at 10:12am
Thanks for reminding me.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic