This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A couple questions for shooters.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARY(OH/IN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A couple questions for shooters.
    Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 10:26pm
Bought two S & W 380 pistols and some ammo for the wife and I.  Went out to the farm to target practice and three rounds were enough for us. Was so loud we had to quit and get out something smaller. The ammo is Blazer Brass 380 AUtO 95 gr.FMJ. What should I be buying for target practice ?
Next question. I have bought some ear muffs. Two  are 3M pro-grade with a noise reduction rating of 30 decibels. The other two are Walker's electronic shooting muffs with an NRR of 22 decibels and has they have a 50dB of power label on the package. Which should I keep or should I return both and then buy what ?
I'm an obvious novice at this and learning. Thanks.
Sponsored Links

Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 6:15am
First question, you bought both S&W correct? Are they by chance the ported performance models.
The ported ones are very loud.
Wear which hearing protection has the highest level of protection and never shoot without it.
If you develope the flinches from the loud bang it’s very very hard to overcome.
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 6:39am
With my 44 Magnum I first put foam earplugs in then wear the Walkers. Neither one was adequate alone.
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 8:44am
wife and I have S&W Body Guards.  I don't think they are any worse than the 9mm with Blazer ammo.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 10:35am
I bought my wife the S&W M&P performance which is ported. It seems much louder than mine which is not. Both 9mm
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 4:11pm
My 45acp has less report than my 9mm handguns.  I believe it has to do with total powder load.
KMAG View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KMAG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 4:47pm
Unless your pistol is suppressed, hearing protection is needed. Some pistols are quieter due to longer barrels or using sub-sonic ammo.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 5:21pm
I still use shooters earmuffs, and when shoot the .50 muffs AND Plugs.
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 6:14pm
I have a pair of Caldwell Electronic Shooting Earmuffs that you can talk and listen and protect when the gun is fired. Here is a link.https://www.caldwellshooting.com/safety-gear/hearing-protection/e-max/e-max-low-profile-electronic-hearing-protection/487557.html
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 7:41am
Gary, what kind of pistols did you buy?
GARY(OH/IN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARY(OH/IN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 8:53am
They are Smith & Wesson Bodygaurd 380ACP 2.75" barrel semi automatic with laser.
A couple responses have mentioned if they are ported. I don't know enough to know what that means.
Thanks for all the replies.
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 9:33am
Gary, we have two of those also.  Mine without lazer and the Mrs with lazer.  Yep i think they are louder than the 9mm Sig but I am not concerned with the potential noise and flash.

One thing I did to get a more comfortable fit in the hand is put an extended grip on the end of the mag.  Available on ebay and just slide and snap right on.  Allows for another finger to grip on that little bugger.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 10:24pm
A good set of ear protectors from a gun shop or sporting goods store should be adequate. I had a Glock .380 but did not notice it being excessively loud. I moved up to a 9 mm for more power and it has about the same amount of noise. My hearing is somewhat impaired so I don't notice the noise as much. Also I had a S&W snub nose .357 mag that would make your ears ring, especially with "business" loads.

Get to know someone who works at a gun store. They are a wealth of information and are usually happy to share their knowledge. Their prices are usually a little more but you deal with someone who has some knowledge about firearms. The indoor gun ranges are another good place to learn. And I would also highly recommend a gun safety course and a basic marksmanship course which are available at the indoor ranges. 
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic