This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mouse Trap ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mouse Trap ?
    Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 7:48pm
What is the best "trap" for in the home use ? We do have a Bassett Hound for a indoor pet that I'm pretty sure would sniff out and get into some trouble LOL and I'm not a big fan of poison. Thanks
Sponsored Links

Gordy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 7:59pm
Cat feasting on a mouse. Cat eating a mouse in grass stock photography
“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough”
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 8:03pm
https://www.tomcatbrand.com/en-us/products/mice/tomcat-press-n-set-mouse-trap
I bought a pack of these (2 traps) at Home Depot along with the small bottle of bait .
 I have about 8 victor spring (wood board) traps also set - 
These Tomcat traps are catching a mouse a day each - the victor spring traps about 1 a week - last night checking the traps 5 of the victors had the bait removed but no trap action - rebaited them and placed a tomcat trap along side of 2 of the others - dead mouse in the tomcat - bait eaten from one of the victors .
  Worst mouse infestation I have ever had in 40 years in this house this year . 
I guess I am going to have to bait around outside of house - with bait blocks in plastic coffee cans - will drill couple small holes in plastic and put a couple bait blocks in each and place around house . 
 Was thinking of spraying foundation with peppermint oil /water mixture to see if it will kill the mouse trails that attract the dang things to wherever they are coming in 
 2 years back I went around perimeter of house and fixed any spots on foundation or spalling of blocks and it stopped the problem but somehow this year I am being overwhelmed with the dang critters 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 8:05pm
Features
Use with Tomcat Attractant Gel

Use with Tomcat Attractant Gel

Enhance the effectiveness of the Tomcat Press ‘N Set Mouse Trap with the Tomcat Attractant Gel (sold separately) to attract mice. To set the trap, simply press the set bar until you hear it click into place.

Easy To Use

Easy To Use

After baiting and setting the trap, place it where mice are active. For best results, place the trap in an active runway. A runway is the route mice take from their nest to their food source. After catching a mouse, simply use the trap’s grab tab to dispose of the rodent.

Treatment Tips

Treatment Tips

For best results, place 2 traps 5-10 ft. apart and target areas with high mice activity such as: near refrigerators, stoves, pantries, between washer and dryer or along baseboards.

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 8:07pm
Sadly Gordy, I had to put the housecat in a 20" hole yesterday Ouch. Yes, he did gather a few over the years LOL.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 8:35pm
20 gauge !
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 8:49pm
tannerite?
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 8:55pm
Regular snaptrap works pretty good, but they have the spring wound left hand on one side and right hand, on t'other...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 9:00pm
lol...no...really...we use them sticky rat traps for the mice in the house. rat traps because they are larger in size. have caught more with them than with anything else. for some reason the mice walk around on top of our stove...we see droppings there alot. the stove top is clean, only use it to boil water anymore. all the cooking is done out in my cook shack now. we place them stickys on top of the stove and will catch them everytime. i too cannot figger out where they are coming in at. used to be they were coming up from the basement, we placed those bags of "grandpa's (someithing)" on the steps and we don't see any activity from the basement no more. peppermint extract is put on cotton balls and placed inside the tractor/combine/pickup/campers over the winter. our cats are getting to old to chase anything. i used to place them fragrant candles from TSC inside the pickups under the heater vent, would put out nice smells when the floor heat was on, and would keep mice out all year, even in summer. 
Wayne180d View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne180d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 9:10pm
We use the large sticky traps as well they are like $1.99 for 4 at menards.
Dirt Farmer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirt Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 9:25pm
We dril a small hole in a kernel of corn and use a fine wire to secure it to the trigger mechanism on the trap, the mice fight to get it off and well you know what happens next, they seldom get the bait. Reset for the next one using same kernel over and over.
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 11:34pm
My daughter glues a piece of dry dog food to the traps, lasts a long time and catches a lot of mice.
I bought an ozone generator for around $50 on Amazon, put it in vehicles and tractors, seems to work but I have to remember to spray mouse repellent every few weeks to keep them out.  The generator does kill the bacteria and the smell in vehicles pretty well.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 8:33am
The tom cat traps with tom cat attractant have worked the best for me set 5 in the fish house and 5 traps with mice every time as many as 4 sets in one day. The fish house was parked in the tree row and the cats couldn't get in. Moved the fish house up by the barn. Cats live in barn no mice since. Haven't had a mouse in the camper since parking by the barn either.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 11:41am
We have a half dozen feral cats.  They appear to be taking care of any problems because we don't have any mice in the house.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by DiyDave DiyDave wrote:

Regular snaptrap works pretty good, but they have the spring wound left hand on one side and right hand, on t'other...Wink

Your "hang up with left hand anything" has me a little concerned about you Dave, more so than your banter on another forum on here CryConfusedOuch ??
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

20 gauge !

LOL LOL
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 7:44pm
Why kill them?  Get to be friends with them, then just house train them.  They'll keep all the food crumbs picked up.

Worked for me for years, although we're still struggling with the house training. Wink
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 7:50pm
wife has 4 outside cats and 2 inside cats... I have not seen a mouse in 20 years !
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
iowallis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iowallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 8:40pm
The house I rent out on the same building site as my shop has a "no pets" policy but I see the lady tenant has a bowl out on the back porch and once in a while I see a cat laying on the seat of the bench that is there. I can get within 5' of the cat before it takes off. Don't care as long as it is not an inside cat... wife has allergies to pet dander. Anyways, other than noticing the bait in the unheated side of the shop was disturbed when the weather started getting cold nothing in the last few weeks. The cat(s) must be doing something.

Edited by iowallis - 08 Dec 2020 at 8:56pm
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 10:39am
 I keep a bar of LAVA soap on my work bench.  The mice in the shop seem to like the taste.  They have eaten quite a bit of the LAVA soap bar.  
Did LAVA change their formulation?  Never had the problem in the past.  

FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 12:08pm
According to a 1995 Procter and Gamble Fact Sheet required by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, the formula for lava soap comes from ingredients derived from "coconut oil, pumice, water, glycerin and minor ingredients." Lava soap is a nontoxic biodegradable product.
maybe it is the coconut oil........................
Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2020 at 12:36pm
Bet those mice have very clean teeth.  LOL
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2020 at 12:50pm
Some claim Irish Spring soap is a good deterrent to use in vehicles and other areas to keep the critters out - son is trying it in his stored vehicles - 
 I just get more satisfaction knowing the critters are done for that just lurking around somewhere else .  Mouse Trap Cartoons and Comics - funny pictures from CartoonStock
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2020 at 8:43pm
I have been using these for the last couple of years and am VERY happy with them.

2 for $2.99 or 6 for $7.99

They also have the sticky traps.

Jawz™ Disposable Covered Mouse Glue Traps - 3 Pack for $2.99

They have them at Menards.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
mikedes View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikedes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2020 at 2:31pm
When getting a tomcat trap look at the paddle where the bait goes. Some have a hole in the center and if you put the bait under the hole it seems to work every time. When using the solid one my mice seem to be able to get it without springing it 
Mike D
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2020 at 4:24pm
Thanks for the reply about the "bait pan", I use peanut butter as bait and found that I can "squish" it into those little holes so they have to make an effort to get it all WinkWink.
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2020 at 6:28pm
I have better luck with Victor Mouse Traps than Tom Cat traps.
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2020 at 7:55pm
If you can find the holes where they come in plug it with steel wool. Ever try to eat steel ? Sure does make the gums and tongue sore they tell me. Be rather hard to digest.      Leon
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic