This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dual Exhaust ??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dual Exhaust ??
    Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 5:57pm
Was at a stop light this afternoon and was behind an early model Freightliner with dual stacks. When he hit the pedal at the green light, GOBS more smoke came out of the drivers side stack  than the passenger side Confused ?? I have no idea of what was under the hood, but I perhaps made a false presumption that an 8 cylinder with twin stacks put 4 into 1 stack and 4 into the other. If that's the case, why wasn't there equal amounts of smoke out of both stacks ??

Edited by FREEDGUY - 23 Nov 2020 at 5:58pm
Sponsored Links

Boss Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 6:09pm
More than likely a straight 6 with a Y pipe or T. Not many V8's used on Semi's. 
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 6:36pm
Had a Peterbuilt at work that most exhaust went out one, not the other. It was a Cummins ISX.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 6:04am
Used to drive a Binder with a 8v72.
It used 1 1/2 gallons on the left bank and 1/2 gallon of oil on the right per day. It just leaked the other gallon.
It would load up while idling and you better be ready to kill the air when you hit the throttle.
I learned to baby tap the throttle and get it clear before I ever took off.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 8:16am
LOL 71 or 92.....no 72
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 9:55am
I think he meant the 8v92, in 1979 I let a kenworth salesman in Fenton Mo talk me into.one in a new KW. Thing ran like a scalded dog. In between repair shops. It even caught fire just out of Williams Az,, like a dumb jazz I put it out.
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 10:18am
Originally posted by Boss Man Boss Man wrote:

More than likely a straight 6 with a Y pipe or T. Not many V8's used on Semi's. 

Yep, 2 stacks look cooler than 1 but to be real cool you need to set on the floor and have a gearshift that rubs the top cab liner. A sun visor that cover 2/3 of the front windshield helps as well. Wink
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 11:44am
You forgot the big chrome bumper  that drags when you  hit a pothole. And the stacks have to be as big as a 5 gallon pail. I often thought they must park those trucks inside when it rains or you would have to cover them. Any amount of rain would drown the engine if it wasn't running.

Edited by DanWi - 24 Nov 2020 at 11:47am
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 1:45pm
Twins on a 'Y'.  Standard Super Trucker crap.  Single Stack not Cool enough.

5 Inch Exhaust Y-Pipe For Kenworth AeroCab With Single Muffler
festus51 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote festus51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 4:09pm
I have seen fancy trucks come into a rock quarry with the big chrome bumper so close to the ground that they had a motor to flip it up to avoid dragging the ground
We the unwilling Led by the unqualified Doing the impossible for the Ungrateful
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by SteveM C/IL SteveM C/IL wrote:

LOL 71 or 92.....no 72

Bad typing on phone. Lol
It was an 8 71
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 5:06pm
8V71DD 318hp, 8VT71DD 350hp,  8V71TTDD Industrial/Marine version.
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 5:55pm
After reading this I've decided not to put them big twin stacks on my Town Car. Guess it would be a bit of overkill.        Leon
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 5:57pm
Oh now Leon!!  Drag that ol 6v53 out of the woodshed and set that down in the Town Car, twin stacks out the HOOD!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic