This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grand Ole Opry Live

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grand Ole Opry Live
    Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 11:15am
Cabala's sends me a link to the Grand Ole Opry Live on Sat**day nights, wasn't bad the first few shows, watched Trisha Yearwood, Vince Gill and saw Garth Brooks do an acoustic set which was different but very good.  Last night was supposed to be the Oak Ridge Boys, (by now should be Oak Ridge Old Farts), but instead had Kathy Mattea or I missed them.   By the end of her set I don't know what you would classify the music but I'll bet Roy Acuff would have rolled over in his grave if he woulda heard it.  I like her music but darn glad I didn't pay for a ticket to the live performance because I would have probably left that also.
Maximum use of available resources!
Sponsored Links

weiner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 1:09pm
There are some good ones yet,  but most of it is organized noise.
Real heros wear dogtags, not capes.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 1:24pm
Used to love it, but the great ones seem to be gone. Not much attraction for me anymore.
Boss Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 1:27pm
I was ready for the Golden Oaks to start and Kathy came up a second time, same performance
Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 6:10pm
Back in January before the end of the world my wife bought us tickets to the Grand Ole Opry at the Ryman for Alan Jackson. That was a magical night and a great way to celebrate my 50th birthday.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 6:20pm
Didn't hear or see Kathy, but I did like this one, from years ago...

[TUBE]6ElCpHuiWkA[/TUBE]
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 5:47pm
I gave up any thing coming out of Nashville about 20 years ago.  Heard one you heard them all. About the same as rap anymore.

But....there are still a few around worth going to see if you are lucky enough to get a seat.

Asleep at the Wheel tops my list. "Western Swing ain't dead......its Asleep at the Wheel"!

Will still play small venues of a few hundred....or less. Saw them about 6 to 8 years ago. Looked over and quickly realized a guy sitting about 10 feet away was Leroy VanDyke.......auctioneer fame. He was just there for the show like the rest of us. When they get on a roll, its  the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

But even AATW is getting long in the tooth. Have been playing for about 45 years now. Only original left may be Ray Benson.

This from a few years back with Willie.........sadly steel guitar player Eddie Rivers and several others appear to have moved on....

[TUBE]nXHQErygXj8[/TUBE]

Another to take a chance on would be Rhonda Vincent......from Greentop MO. Don't blink....you'll miss it. Greentop......you would never miss Rhonda.

[TUBE]1ELTwHz79eQ[/TUBE]

What you get from these folks is not gimmicks or brands. What you get to see are gifted musicians sticking with tradition.....about the music, not about them.

Edited by modirt - 19 Nov 2020 at 2:00am
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 5:50pm
Trawler II View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trawler II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 9:18pm
Asleep At The Wheel is one of my favorites, have seen them live three times. Their intro is something else. Light is dimmed, Ray saying something to the effect of driving down the road and YOU’RE ASLEEP AT THE WHEEL! Lights come up and he’s swinging that microphone in a huge arc. Son of a gun looks like he’s ten foot tall. Lucky O and all the great musicians. Favorite show was at the Uptown Theatre, had a dance floor and bar. Table right upfront , dancing ,drinks and Asleep At The Wheel. It was something I never will forget. Ain’t Nobody Here But Us Chickens, Miles And Miles Of Texas, the list goes on.

Edited by Trawler II - 18 Nov 2020 at 9:19pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic