This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

has anyone

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: has anyone
    Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 7:37pm
ever taken apart one of those B&D big batteris that run their drills and saws? can they be rebuilt? i have a few that won't hold a charge anymore and as expensive as they are...
Sponsored Links

Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 8:18pm
I've rebuilt 12v DeWalt batteries.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 9:03pm
They can be rebuilt. I buy replacement batteries for my 18V DeWalts from Batteries Plus. One or two year warranty and about half the price of ones from Lowe's. They are Ray O Vac brand.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 12:19am
was at the farm store today (bomgaars) and Milwakee brand has batteries that say it fits all brands for $99. i really don't wanna pay that much for them. 
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 5:27am
I've 'reborn' one my Ryobi 18+ batteries.
Screws located under small round 'covers', used dental pick to remove. Those are 'somewhere' in the garage...oopsy.... Small Torkx to open up the case.. depending on the pack, batteries will have nickel plated straps welding them together,so just cut, remove, install new battery and solder them in. The Chinese make/sell fancy baby arcwelders to properly join battery to strap though...

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
bikley View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 5:50am
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 11:07am
Come on Shameless all this time in quarantine you can study up and become the expert here on "fixing" batteries .  There are enough you tubes to get you the whole 2 weeks without much boredom.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 3:11am
thanks Bikley! that tells me lots! i think i'll go that way with these bats. Ray...as soon as i get the heat going in the outdoor kitchen, i'll start re-doing batteries on the work table i gots in there. (right below the TV).
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 9:03am

Shameless,,just so you know,,,I did one 18 volt battery pack and it worked great but you gotta have a GOOD soldering gun,,and,,,,no shaky hands,,,,,!! I didn't have either at the time so I ain't done any more,,but it ain't hard for those  that gots a lot of time on their hands,,,,,LOL
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 1:00pm
Add in my email says they can show how to redo any battery from your phone on up to heavy equipment.Wink I could try to send you the link. LOL  I did not open it Wink cause all my batteries are fine today.LOL But a real penny pincher like you ................................might want to be prepared. Wink To be spammed for ever or worse.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 1:05pm
Wink I forgot to ask if found the you tube of the guy saying to "shock the battery by giving it a spark from your ark welder".LOL An please report how good it lasts.LOL

Wink  I think your smart enough to get the stockholder to try it first. LOLLOLLOL
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 2:23pm
Yeah, and how much the emergency room visit cost! lol
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 2:28pm
  I found batteries for $35.00 on Amazon
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 9:12pm
think i'll try the HF battery exchange first, like what the video that Bikley posted...that seems pretty simple. i gots a top of the line soldering gun...and yes...i know how to use it!  
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 11:22pm

Well,,,,now that you brought it up,,,,I'd like to hear a "fail Safe" procedure for solderin,,,I ain't ever been able to solder worth a Chit,,,,I had to redo most of the engine compartment wiring on the Black Silverado,,so I bought a good top of the line Weller 100/250 gun and STILL fought that sob,,,,,and them solder joints looked worst than a cobbled up gorilla weld job,,,so I used a lot of electrical tape and heat tape to cover up all that meanness,,,,,Wink
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 3:20am
Joe...get the wire/connection hot from underneith then touch the solder to the wire, seems to work better with thin solder on small wires, the thick solder is for big wire like battery cable stuff. the thinner solder will suck right down into the wire when the wire is hot, just touch it, and sometimes touch it more than once, don't hold it there or you'll get globs. if you get a glob, sometimes you can touch the blob and spread it out length ways on the wire, otherwise it may just stick to the gun. do the same when soldering wire into the shove on connectors too! it'll usually suck right inside the crimped connector. be careful when you stick your tongue on the connection to test if it's cooled enough to wrap it with tape, it still may be to hot yet. 
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 10:52am
WinkSome days it seem soldering copper wire takes black magic to work. But soldering needs clean copper Shocked get back to work and clean it again. LOL

Had a old guy show me the tricks of soldering copper pipe. Clean with fine sandpaper, heat and some acid, heat and put a little paste cleaner and your good to go. Can be a lot harder to clean copper wire. Espley when your cheap Wink like O'l Joe and me, the price they want for new copper wire we save every like bit of old used wire.LOL

A friend had a antique Weller soldering gun I learned on. It worked real good so, I went and bought one never had good luck with the dang old thing. So it has to be black majic.LOL
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 10:59am
I took one apart and put new cells in it. The China replacement cells were junk. You can buy lithium batteries already in the old 18 volt case I got mine from Amazon. You need a new charger but they work great. You can also get battery adapters that allow you to use new lithium batteries from other tools in it place. I have a large assortment of B&D tools they work fantastic on the new lithium batteries. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RPNH5J3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by Dakota Dave - 12 Nov 2020 at 11:01am
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 11:32am
I had a couple of Makita batteries that the charger wouldn't take anymore. $120 each.
I charged them with a 12 volt battery charger car/tractor type charger on boost. Stood across the room and plugged it in. Worked somewhat, I just stayed away from it charging.
Finally said the hell with it and pitched it. 15 years old anyway
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 4:34pm
dont know what VOLTAGE you have, but you can buy GENERIC batteries to fit EVERY BODYS drills.. I buy GENERIC 19.2 V units for my Craftsman drills... Check AMAZON.. probably e-bay also.

Like them all, but love the "B"s.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 4:37pm
OOOPPS... guess DAVE beat me to it... YES, you can buy LITHIUM or the older style NI-CAD if you have the older charger.. and can get different AMP outputs also for the voltage you need.

Edited by steve(ill) - 12 Nov 2020 at 4:37pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 6:11pm
I bought an adapter for my old Ni-cad milwaulkie  tools, now I can put the newer Li-ion batteries on them and they work great. I have heard though, do not leave the battery on the adapter, it will drain it...so I remove the battery when I'm done
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 12:04am
well shucks...i better check to see what charger(s) i have before investing in replacement batteries. i have 2 different chargers i have used on all the 18V ones, a small slide on and a fast charger. my 20V charger don't work on the 18V bats. only the 20V bats.  dang it!! some of ya'll cornfuse me!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic