This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Electric Forums

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electric Forums
    Posted: 08 Nov 2020 at 9:57pm
Anyone know of any forums or groups out there dedicated to electrifying older model tractors?

All that battery weight is better than calcium filled tires.
1957 D17 Diesel w/ M&W Pistons
Sponsored Links

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 1:01am
there is a company building electric tractors right now. however they are new. can't remember the brand right now. i would imagine the hardest part of doing an old one is finding the batteries and controlers/motors. take a look at golf carts and maybe build accordingly? 
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 8:06am
The coop uses a duetz tractor that they have a conveyor on to pile corn on the blacktop. When the motor went bad someone rigged up an electric motor so it can be driven around the yard. Only can drive as far as the electric cord reaches though.
Coke View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 8:44am
I'm gonna need a really long extension cord thenBig smile

Seriously tho' I think shameless is talking about Solartec or Solatrac I forget the name, they reckon on a battery life of 3-6 hours depending on load, and the packs are replacable. I imagine the premise being you just drop a new one in and keep going, I rarely use mine for more than a couple of hours at a time, and I always hook it up to the charger (because the generator doesn't work). I could even think about some solar panels at the south end of the shed.

My dad worked in the garage of a local dairy for 30 years, back when milk was delivered daily, so I've seen a lot of short range, high torque, electric vehicles, and with the controller technology available now, I think even using lead acid packs, you could get better finesse out of them.

Edited by Coke - 09 Nov 2020 at 8:45am
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 9:17am
Here ya go, nothing a little pocket change won't get. Not sure what it costs to get a steering wheel. Wink

The 30 HP diesel-equivalent eFarmer provides unparalleled visibility and maneuverability for the next generation of row-crop farming.

4-8 hours with 28kWh battery pack, depending on loads. Additional battery packs may be added on any of the  hitches to

extend runtime.

BATTERY RUNTIME

BATTERY Charging

3 hour quick charge for one pack, or an overnight slow charge for 2 packs. 

Battery management system (BMS) automatically protects the batteries during charging and discharging.

A simple joystick controls steering and speed, which allows for easy navigation between row crops. Rates of speed are variable and controlled by joystick position.

steering/speed

Includes front hitch for low lift loader or reaper, mid hitch for precision cultivation tools and rear hitch that accepts all Category 1 - 540 RPM -PTO implements

3 point hitch/ implements

BASE PRICE: $49,500 

OPTIONS

Front Loader: $1000

Exchangeable Battery Pack: $10,000

Edited by Kansas99 - 09 Nov 2020 at 9:18am
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 10:31am
30hp, who are they kidding Row Crop!!!!
Coke View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 12:00pm
Maybe the need to bring back the bottom plow measurement, it's all about the torque, not the horsepower after all.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by Coke Coke wrote:

Maybe the need to bring back the bottom plow measurement, it's all about the torque, not the horsepower after all.

Yeah yeah, DC motor torque through the roof when it's stalled. Which is another way of saying you aren't going anywhere!

So, with weight and torque, you can pull something. Without actual horsepower, you won't be doing so at any speed worth doing.

Edited by Tbone95 - 09 Nov 2020 at 12:07pm
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 12:41pm
YEP... Torque is a FORCE.... Horse Power takes some movement, SPEED / RPM into effect... I can get TORQUE out of a torque wrench.. but it is not MOVING.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Coke View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

YEP... Torque is a FORCE.... Horse Power takes some movement, SPEED / RPM into effect... I can get TORQUE out of a torque wrench.. but it is not MOVING.
Really, you can torque your nuts without any movement, what a scientific achievment that must be.Clap
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

30hp, who are they kidding Row Crop!!!!

You should go to the site, it looks like a bicycle frame with 4 wheels.LOL  The loader is quite impressive probably hold 1/2 a wheel barrel.   If they build a actual row crop tractor I dare say it's going to be a little pricey.Shocked

Only costs a extra $10,000 for a spare battery pack. Thumbs Up

Edited by Kansas99 - 09 Nov 2020 at 1:06pm
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 1:13pm
Really, you can torque your nuts without any movement, what a scientific achievment that must be.

YES... you are doing WORK while you tighten the nuts, but when you reach TORQUE and STALL OUT... NO WORK... NO HP.  Its a hard concept to accept, but you can PUSH on a building all day long and wear yourself out.. If it DONT MOVE, then there was no WORK or HP..... you need MOVEMENT.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 1:15pm

Really, you can torque your nuts without any movement, what a scientific achievment that must be.Clap

OK, well, tiny amount of movement compared to plowing a field, and time is completely irrelevant. So no POWER.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 1:17pm
What is the formula of work?
Work is done when a force that is applied to an object moves that object. The work is calculated by multiplying the force by the amount of movement of an object (W = F * d). A force of 10 newtons, that moves an object 3 meters, does 30 n-m of work.
How do you calculate power in physics?
Power equals work (J) divided by time (s). The SI unit for power is the watt (W), which equals 1 joule of work per second (J/s). Power may be measured in a unit called the horsepower. One horsepower is the amount of work a horse can do in 1 minute, which equals 745 watts of power.

Edited by steve(ill) - 09 Nov 2020 at 1:21pm
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 1:17pm

<span style="color: rgb0, 0, 36; : rgb254, 252, 212;">Really, you can torque your nuts without any movement, what a scientific achievment that must be.</span>
<span style="color: rgb0, 0, 36; : rgb254, 252, 212;">
</span>
<span style="color: rgb0, 0, 36; : rgb254, 252, 212;">YES... you are doing WORK while you tighten the nuts, but when you reach TORQUE and STALL OUT... NO WORK... NO HP.  Its a hard concept to accept, but you can PUSH on a building all day long and wear yourself out.. If it DONT MOVE, then there was no WORK or HP..... you need MOVEMENT.</span>

I would say, what he's getting at, if you go from free spinning the nut with your fingers, then from snug you put a torque wrench on them, they move.

But of course we know, they move very little, and as you say, you can hold that static torque there the rest of your life and do no work.
Coke View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 1:56pm
But you can't reach the set torque without moving (torquing) your nuts first.

Unless all you deal with is rusty nuts, that you try and tighten, which I guess is possible.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 2:13pm
Coke, I don't think anyone is arguing that little piece of the puzzle. Thing is, you don't plow a field with torque, you have to get it done with power. The high stall torque of a DC motor diminishes to a balance of torque and speed when you're using it at any appreciable rate, it has to.   And you're not putting out any power using a torque wrench.

Put another way, to plow 2 acres per hour is going to take a certain amount of horsepower, 60 is probably a good round average figure properly weighted, and it's going to take that regardless of where that power comes from. Torque is part of that power, so is the speed at which you can do it.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 2:15pm

But you can't reach the set torque without moving (torquing) your nuts first.

Unless all you deal with is rusty nuts, that you try and tighten, which I guess is possible.

In other words, it's not constant movement, you move the nut on the thread until the load is reached, from that point it's all static, like steve's analogy of pushing on a building, there's a force there, but no work accomplished, therefore no power is present either.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 3:29pm
i think i screwed up using the torque wrench... i should have used the example of an  Allis G hooked to a 8 bottom plow !! Wink
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 4:36pm

Coke View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 6:01pm
Which is what I said

Maybe we need to bring back the bottom plow measurement,

I also asked

Anyone know of any forums or groups out there dedicated to electrifying older model tractors?

And from y'all, I'm guessing the answer is no. Google it is then.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 6:27pm
There could be a forum such as you suggest, beats me. I’d have googled that in the first place.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 6:32pm
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 6:38pm
What's he got on the front of that unit?  Never seen that before, I'm assuming something for a specialty crop?
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 7:50pm
the one i saw was a tractor looking tractor (on the small side) was all electric, could plow for 6-8 hours (3 bottom) on a full charge and recharge overnight. plugged into 120 Volt outlet. i'll dig around and see if i can find the pics and story again. Coke....as for recharge or maintain charge, years ago i bought a HF solar battery charger. it works, just takes a day or 2, one time i left my 180 out in the field, i musta forgot the radio on, cuz the next morning the battery was dead. i tarp strapped that charger on top of the hood and hooked it up to the battery, i got back to the tractor 2 days later and it started right up! maybe that would be your cheapest route on your tractor. maybe extend the cord, mount on your shed and hook up the wires to your tractor battery until you use it again?   
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 3:42am
saw alot of different electric tractors on you tube, also there is a video of how to change a garden tractor over to electric, might could get you info off that, shouldn't be that much different from a garden tractor to one a little bigger? i think the battery costs are still prohibitive yet for outright buying. the dude that builds all electric tractors in CA says as time goes on the batteries are getting cheaper. he's the dude that makes the tractor that Steve (ill) posted above. he had alot of info on his video. i was unable to get any pricing on any of the electric tractors already in production, prolly hafta call each company to get that. i would have a use for one, more than my diesel/gas tractors. just think...no more oil/filter changes, no more plugs/wires/mags/coils/caps/def/fuel/anti-gel/antifreeze/ect. the dude says the batteries are good for around 12 years, and they are working on or already have batteries that will last 100 years. i think i'm pumped on this! but check you tube vid on the change over.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2020 at 6:16am
The two 'minor' problems with ANY battery powered device, especially a tractor are
1) ACTUAL runtime in the field doing WORK...
2) COST to recharge the battery pack

#1 is kinda important.Even though I don't farm, I know farmers and it's not unreasonable for them to put in 12-16 hr days to get the crops in ( IN before the rain comes.....,sigh). I seriously doubt ANY electric tractor can run like that..

#2 is REAL important. There is no way come hades or high water, that a 'simple, plug into a 120 receptacle' recharger will juice up a dead tractor battery. You need a SERIOUS  charging 'station'....240 volts, 50-60 amps and time. Just look at Tesla  charging options.... I know at 25c cents/KwH( my  current cost) it costs a lot REAL money .

As for 'the dude says the batteries are good for around 12 years,'.... yeah right, maybe if they stay on the shelf, get used for an 1hr a day, in sunny ,warm So CAL... but NOT up here in Winter ( 4-6 months)...
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic