This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What Part Is This ....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What Part Is This ....
    Posted: 31 Oct 2020 at 7:49pm
on an '05 F250 with 5.4? The truck died on me on the way to work yesterday. Engine would crank and sporadically catch/cough for 2 seconds and die OuchOuch. I was pretty confident it was the fuel pump and after having it towed to my mechanic, an "initial" diagnoses with gauges said the same Sleepy.Later in the afternoon, I got a call saying "FIXED" and $500 less than estimated Big smileBig smile,turned out to be some type of "relay" mounted on the frame close to the tank?? I was pretty sure there's a relay in the box under the hood, but is this underbody module "standard equipment" on all chasis or just a chasis for aftermarket bodies (service body, ambulance, tow truck) ? My guy said that this module "variated" the speed of the electric pump as far as fuel demand ?? Any truth to that ??

Edited by FREEDGUY - 31 Oct 2020 at 7:50pm
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2020 at 7:58pm
There is a small black box called a FUEL MODULE that is bolted to the frame above the left rear tire..   it is about 2 inches square and has 4 wires running to it... It "monitors" the fuel rail pressure and tells the fuel pump when to START and STOP... There is no longer a REGULATOR in the system.......... Pretty common for these to ROT OUT due to salt spray after  10 years..
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2020 at 8:09pm
Thanks Steve Wink!  That explains the 2 rusty bolts and washers I found on the rear bumper this afternoon after 35 miles of driving Embarrassed. I had no idea of where this part was mounted to the frame Tongue.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2020 at 8:54pm
hay I was talking to neighbour about that 'black box' when I lifted the pickup box off with my A-C forklift. He said VERY COMMON to fail,keeps a spare on the shelf..just in case....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2020 at 9:24pm
The mechanic gave me the old "box", but it was 3"s long, an 1&1/2" tall and mostly silver colored metal with a black plastic cover and at least 6 "pins" in the electric socket ??

Edited by FREEDGUY - 31 Oct 2020 at 9:24pm
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2020 at 10:06pm
yep........ i was just rounding off the numbers !!.  Wink.. It has an aluminum case on the back.. SALT gets to it and eats a hole thru to the circuit board.. You cant see it from the front, only the black plastic... Aluminum back should have a hole or rotten spot.

Edited by steve(ill) - 31 Oct 2020 at 10:14pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 11:20am
They should fill the case with that stuff they used to use,  The salt wouldn't get thru that stuff.  It was a gold colored plastic like stuff.  But by not doing it they get more profit.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

yep........ i was just rounding off the numbers !!.  Wink.. It has an aluminum case on the back.. SALT gets to it and eats a hole thru to the circuit board.. You cant see it from the front, only the black plastic... Aluminum back should have a hole or rotten spot.

That's the part Steve, but my old one (looking at it right now) has 2 tiny round terminals in between the 2 sets of spade terminals ?? OEM Part # zt2536065 ? Thanks for the picture Wink !!
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 6:45pm
Steve, would a '99 F150 with the 5.4 use basically the same module.  Mine is not giving any problems but that is good information to file away. Rock Auto doesn't show one and Car Parts.com has a "voltage booster" for almost $500. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. 
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic