This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The head cook is,,,,,,ME,,,!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The head cook is,,,,,,ME,,,!!
    Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 11:55am

Well,,,,seein as how I was volunteered to be Head Cook in this household,,,,,,AND since them big azzed snowflakes are just a swirling outside,,,I thought a good hearty chicken soup would be the order of the day,,,,Clap. I've made Chicken Soup before but it was kinda blah and wonderin what others use as far as spices to make it ,,,,"different",,Clap
 I gots some drumsticks, (cause the wife likes em) carrots, celery, cabbage, rice, or noodles and some small red taters quartered.
 What Ya'll use,,,??
Sponsored Links

Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 2:07pm
Hey Joe, it’s drizzle and windy over here in Midland.
Toss in 1/2 teaspoon of poultry season, when you cook the rice use chicken broth and beer.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 2:38pm
I don't know what she uses for spices, but she uses a cornish game hen, or whatever they're called.  Boils it and that makes the broth, and peels the meat off for that part.  I like the the wide noodles so she usually uses them.  It's good and tasty.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 3:44pm
I love barley added to chicken noodle soup.
Boss Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 4:31pm
Usually put poultry seasoning, nutmeg and celery leaves in the water while cooking the chicken.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 7:01pm
Add poultry seasoning and leave the cabbage out. May want to use a bit of cornstarch to thicken it just a little. Being the Head Cook is not the easiest job around so I'll volunteer for dishwasher.

Edited by Hubert (Ga)engine7 - 27 Oct 2020 at 7:03pm
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 9:16pm
Yes, save the cabbage for the cole slaw. If wanted, toss in minced cauliflower, and minced onion.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 10:01pm
Try to find a FATTY chicken.  Almost impossible any more.
LOTS of onions
Poultry seasoning
if you don't have enough good chix taste, you can add some chicken base.  I like that a LOT better than the broth.  I also use more than they say to.  It comes in a smaller round jar and is kind of hard.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 11:38pm

CHIT,,,what's wrong with me,,,??  Can't figure why I did not think of Poultry Seasoning,,!! But,,,,but,,I will next time,,!!ClapClap

desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by Thad in AR. Thad in AR. wrote:

I love barley added to chicken noodle soup.

Hey Thad,,is barley a seed or,,??? Sounds interesting tho,,,,Clap Don't believe I've ever seen it in the spices dept,,,,

I also like the thought of Nutmeg,,,How much of each??
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 3:30am
admaybe a little "mrs dash",  i use: chicky, mushrooms (the button ones have the best flavor), a dash of "no sALT", celery, carrots, also use the red taters, chicky broth,  diced garlic, diced onion, 2 tbs liquid smoke, 3 tbs au jus, and ad what you like too.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 5:22am
Yes barley is a seed. Adds a nice texture to soup. Found in the dry soup section.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 5:55am

OK,,SOoooo,,,lookin like the Poultry Seasoning is the hands down fav to go in the chickie soup,,,,Clap
 ALSO,,,At least 5 stalks diced celery,(which I love), 1 pound diced carrots (I like, the wife hates), quartered red taters,,a good handful of rice OR noodles,,1 onion diced, 1 303 can mixed vegetables,, (for color) 1 large pkg of your choice chickies parts,,(I like thighs, wife likes drumsticks), generous helpin of Poultry Seasoning.
 OPTIONS = barley, smoke flavoring, cauliflower, nutmeg (I like the "thought" of this) a couple tbs of Tony's(Wink)
 HMMmmmm,,,hoping it snows again this weekend,,so's I can experiment some more,, I better go over all the suggestions so's I don't forget any ingredients,,,,ClapClap
Coke View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 8:16am
Y'all got seasoned salt there? About a teaspoon per cup of liquid.
1957 D17 Diesel w/ M&W Pistons
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 9:57am

Yep,,Coke,,that'd be a good one too,,,,Clap
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 10:20pm
salt ain't good for us young'ins!
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 6:05am
Originally posted by Coke Coke wrote:

Y'all got seasoned salt there? About a teaspoon per cup of liquid.

Yikes! That would be awful dang salty.
There is so much sodium hidden in foods nowadays, you very seldom have to add any
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 7:42am
Coke, that seems like a LOT of salt....

Joe, instead of sliced/diced carrots (my wife hates em too) I use baby carrots......They have a little sweeter flavor.
I always use the whole chicken.  You can put that into the pot first, all by itself and cook the heck out of it......  You get all the fat and marrow from the bones-that's where all the flavor is!!  Then you can take the breast and slice it for samiches after it cools off.
I never thought of barley in it either.  My favorite is beef and barley soup,,,,,,,THICK!!  (hint-hint---this one is REALLY easy and you'd love it!!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 10:43am
I know nothing about cooking, but I Wink been to the baby carrot factory. Yep baby carrots are manufactured. They send the 1.5  by 14 or 16 inches long carrots up the conveyor and out the other end comes the babies you buy at the store.

Most of the Germain heritage people I grew up around had rice and egg noodles to add as you wished to both chicken or beef soup. Foreign idea to my wife. But I have almost got her converted in 40+ years. And she has introduced me to putting barley in soup too. 

Carrots and celery are the veggies grew up with in soup. As a kid I did my best to get as few as possible. As I got older the better they are.

As for what its worth, my mother always claimed old strewing hens had much more flavor for soup than a young fryer bird. But unless your growing your own, your not going to find a older bird. So that kind goes with Ted's boil that bird good to get all the flavor out of the bones.

An that brings me to another new to me thing my wife cooked. That is the turkey bones after Thanksgiving. When you get tired of left over turkey left over's make soup. You can put about any left over from the feast in the pot. So she always want the biggest bird she can get. She really want to find one over 30 lbs, Wink so far I think 28+ is the biggest.

And as for all the soup she put bouillon cubes(no idea how to spell it, she says bull youn) in for more flavor. What are they, again "I know nothing, nothing." 

Edited by Ray54 - 29 Oct 2020 at 10:48am
Boss Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 7:46pm
I start with 2 bone in skin on chicken breasts and enough water to cover them. I usually do 2 good shakes of nutmeg and 3 or 4 of poultry seasoning.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 8:59pm

Yeah,,Ray,,I seen that on that TV program "How It's Made" and they take all the carrots too big for packaging and put em thru a machine and out comes all them "Baby Carrots",,,,,,LOLLOL
 Hey BossMan,,the wife always insisted on bone-in and skin-on chickie parts for the flavor after a good boil job,,,I'ma gonna have to try the nutmeg,,the Barley  and the Poultry Seasoning next time for sure,,,,ClapClap The chicken Boulioon is good but gosh they got lots of salt,,,,,
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 11:15pm
i use them baby carrots in my stews, we also use them as treats for the dogs. they love them. Ray...them bullion cubes IS hopped up like dehydrated broth and very salty. they ussually come in little cubes, but i've seen it in the powder form and liquid form too. can drop one of them in some water, boil and stir and you gots a cup of broth.   
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 11:19pm
only place i use chicky broth is when cooking taters. slice your taters off square (save the slices) pat the starch off the taters, place them in a big pot/dutch oven, pour chicky broth all around them and simmer, add when the broth is low as the taters will soak up the broth. done when taters are soft. serve warm. the slices can be fried on the grill or in the insta pot. season as you like. leave the skin on, that where the good for you stuff is in the skin!
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2020 at 9:54am
Ray, your mother was right about using a hen instead of a fryer, much better flavor for the soup. I use baking hens instead of fryers in my stew also. There is a definite difference.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic