This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

telehandler question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: telehandler question
    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 3:39pm
OK, a neighbor I'm helping has an Ingersol-Rand 642B telehandler. It has 2 massive cylinders to raise the boom and 2 smaller ones on the back end of the boom.
So my question is , WHAT is the purpose of the 2 smaller cylinders ??

just curious and I KNOW one of you guys has the answer...

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Sponsored Links

Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 4:05pm
I,ve neve used a Ingersol Rand but it should have extend and tilt cylinders.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 4:31pm
Pretty certain are just Tilt assist cylinders, main cylinders forward these aft of the pivot point and do nothing but follow boom angle.
Dave in PA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 4:42pm
I had a job with 4 Sky-Trac machines, ran them for about 15 years.  But not sure, but know they were there!  The big ones were out front, then the smaller ones tucked kinda, behind, on the back of the machine, just a foot or 2 from the pivot point.  Not sure if they BOOSTED the first part of the lift or not??  My youngest son works on them there kinda units, I sure will ask him, and try to let all of you know!
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 4:44pm
They synchronize the front to keep it level while lifting.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 4:57pm
PaulB has the answer.  Fluid moved by those as the boom goes up and down adjusts the forks to stay at the tilt angle the operator set.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 5:45pm
hmm, so you mean the big ones are individually controlled ? I was thinking they both went in or out together... didn'tknow you could tilt the boom lefty-righty ! I've been watching soffit guys 40' in the air..next time I'll look at the boom.
I know he can tilt the front axle, as well as fwd/bkw tilt the forks...
he also offered it to me to put second floor onto my garage....sigh, there I go , dreaming again...

thanks guys...
Jay

Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 6:26pm

Link to a Video

Ingersoll Rand 642B Operating

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsO_392Mjww
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 7:37pm
I think the way it would work is the lift cyls are a separate circuit.  The assist cyls are full of fluid, which moves as the boom goes up.  They would control a valve, which moves fluid into the curl circuit, to keep the load level.  That would be my guess...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Dave in PA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by Jim.ME Jim.ME wrote:

PaulB has the answer.  Fluid moved by those as the boom goes up and down adjusts the forks to stay at the tilt angle the operator set.

Just was able to ask my son, for I do have that old timers thing at times!  And he said the same thing!
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 5:34pm
Ok, light bulb finally came on... the oil in the two itty bitty way back cylinders flows into the big one UNDER the forks...that's making sense now.....'automatic load leveling'....

sigh, gettin old is sooo much fun...

cheers
Jay

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic