This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Out of a job

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Out of a job
    Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 3:40pm
The Christian camp which I have been bush hogging for a few years got their own tractor today, donated by another Christian organization. I will go check it out tomorrow, the camp director sent me this picture just after lunch. Hope it will be a good tractor for them. At least the price was right. The loader with the bucket will be handy as well as having a set of pallet forks. 

What things should I watch out for on a David Brown?
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 4:11pm
WOW... good looking tractor !!

Edited by steve(ill) - 12 Oct 2020 at 4:17pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Boss Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 4:54pm
I remember David Brown using a PTO disconnect. If people just used the clutch instead of the disconnect they burnt the T/O bearing out. 
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 6:13pm
Hope they have sense enough to get insurance for whomever runs it.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 6:19pm
The David Brown tractors were looked upon like a MF 410/510 combine in this area Ouch.
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 9:02pm
Having owned a David Brown 1200 for several years, here's my pros and cons.  Pros, very fuel efficient,  started easily in winter cold, fairly maneuverable.  Cons. that $%#& PTO throw out bearing!  However, it was fairly easy to replace without splitting the tractor, Not enough gears, only 6 which never seemed to be the right one for the job. I see your tractor has 12 speeds so it should be good.  A problem I had with my tractor was it would loose hydraulic system prime.  I think that's why the P O sold it fairly cheaply.  After replacing the pump and  some other components, it took it to the dealer.  The mechanic  there finally found a pinhole in the aluminum suction tube bolted to the pump.  Repaired it with JB weld and it never gave me a bit of trouble.  Don't remember what they charged me but it made me happy so it must not have been too much.  So, I'd say as long as you make sure the operator knows about not leaving the pto clutch disengaged and instead putting the pto high-low lever in neutral and the pto clutch engaged, all will be fine.  Otherwise, some words may be spoken at the camp that would be more fitting at a bar... 

Edited by JohnColo - 12 Oct 2020 at 9:05pm
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 9:21pm
Thanks for all the info. They sent the operator's manual with it, so hopefully the director will read it before he damages anything.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 10:22pm
maybe it'll be a lesson learned?
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 6:04am
Yer NOT out of a job as you'll get TWO to replace that one, next week......!!!
The word's out YOU have some 'free' time, and the vultures will decend......
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 6:19am
That PTO clutch sounds like a Long 610. I liked the design of the PTO clutch. It was the rest of that leaky pig I didn't care for
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
Scott B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 12:49pm
Don’t know about David Brown tractors but will say those pallet forks is one of the best implements I ever purchased. Many uses!
D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic