This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

99 GMC 4 wheel drive?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 99 GMC 4 wheel drive?
    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 7:05pm
My truck was giving trouble and now will not shift into 4 wheel drive. Has the switch on the dash. I had problems the last few times getting it in gear and out of gear. How do I check the switch or actuator. What is most likely culprit? Thanks Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
Sponsored Links

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 10:54pm
the actuator will snap into and out of place if working. don't put your fingers up where it's at or you'll be missing them. they are easy to test, easy to take off and put the juice to it to see if it moves. check wires too. i've never had a problem with a switch yet, not saying that isn't the problem.
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 11:13pm
It's been a while since I've worked on on of those, but switches were common failures as were the encoder motor sensors. You need to get a scan tool and pull the codes from the TCCM. 
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 11:19pm
Thanks guys, I will check it out. Tracy
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 5:12pm
Tracy I have the same truck and had to replace the switches a few times.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 6:56pm
Thad, the switch has no lights, fuses are good. I will start with switch. Thanks Tracy
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 6:50am
Originally posted by Tracy Martin TN Tracy Martin TN wrote:

Thad, the switch has no lights, fuses are good. I will start with switch. Thanks Tracy

Tracy we’re knocking on 2021. We may have to trade up one of these days.
The thought spooks me a little. Mine is by far the best truck I’ve owned.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 7:49pm
Thad, this is only vehicle I special ordered. It is by far the best truck I have ever owned. I have looked at many new and used ones, but the reviews scare the hell out of me. For the money they cost, there shouldn't be problems like that. Tracy
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 1:20am
mines a '97 and '98, both great trucks, reason for me keeping them is my back don't hurt while driving them. and it's really hard to find anything with cloth seats anymore.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 5:49am
Originally posted by Tracy Martin TN Tracy Martin TN wrote:

Thad, this is only vehicle I special ordered. It is by far the best truck I have ever owned. I have looked at many new and used ones, but the reviews scare the hell out of me. For the money they cost, there shouldn't be problems like that. Tracy

You got that right. The new ones are out of reach for me. The used all have over 200000 miles or priced like new.
I’d like to find around a 2010 with low miles similar to my truck.
Mines sitting on 400000 miles and starting to show its age.
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2020 at 7:51pm
I have a 99 GMC 2500 with 6 litre gas engine. It’s been a great truck. Did take reverse out of the trans from plowing snow. Apparently a band in there that breaks from going in and out of reverse so often. Rest of tranny was good.  
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2020 at 11:10pm
Thad...last one i bought had about 286,000. on it, everything worked as it should. still a great truck until squirrels got in and ate the wiring in the engine compartment. still gonna keep it right now and try to fix the wiring. high miles is still a good marketing tool, but it doesn't scare me.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 12:56am
Switch is the common problem on the push button 4 wheel , 
Now mine only have 98,000 on the 6.0 engine , 2nd transfer case as first one went out at 3,000 miles  , second one went out last winter - I rebuilt it myself after someone on here said they did - $75 for parts needed - after picking up another transfer cade and finding out it was for 2003 to 2007 and cant convert it over easily for shift motor 2 wire to 1 wire and different shaft on side of case .
 Jack front end up - see if when you turn one wheel if other wheel turns - will tell if front axle shift motor is working - drive shaft seems to turn all times on these front axles 
 I had the input pinion bearing go out in mine which locked up front and when I powered up to move truck is burned out clutch pack in just a few minutes 
If you have the 4L80 transmission it should be solid - been plowing commercial lots since 2000 with this truck and BIG THING ON NOT SHIFTING WHILE MOVING - come to complete stop before reversing 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 1:02am
What really ticked me off when searching for parts for mine which is 2000 with the 6.0 is finding out here in the stated the 2500 series have a 1/2 ton frame under then with the NEW body style, sons 2500 Suburban is the same way , they used the light 1/2 frames to rush the new style out , and they are not Heavy Duty - they use 3/4 ton running gear adapted to the 1/2 ton frames - so front and rear carriers are HD but the truck itself isn't 

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 5:15am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

Thad...last one i bought had about 286,000. on it, everything worked as it should. still a great truck until squirrels got in and ate the wiring in the engine compartment. still gonna keep it right now and try to fix the wiring. high miles is still a good marketing tool, but it doesn't scare me.

I agree. I can easily see getting another 100000 out of mine. Starting to rust the rockers n such but drives like new.
My previous truck was also a GMC and I sold it with 330000 miles. I that was 10 years back. Still see it once in a while.
My next will most likely be another GMC. I hope
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 10:16pm
Guys at the dealership we saw a lot of switches bad and a lot of motors bad. They have some plastic parts in there that break.   Guys dont shift these things "on the go". The plastic stuff won't stand up to it. Dang it, probably outta think about putting the snow plow on ol Red. 1999 HD 3/4 ton.

Edited by HD6GTOM - 08 Oct 2020 at 10:18pm
Gordy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 8:59am
   When the switch went bad on mine I found it had solder cracks around the terminals on the circuit board can be seen with magnifying glass re soldered works fine.    
“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough”
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic