This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Local on line only auction

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Local on line only auction
    Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 11:12pm
How do they work, where do you pay, etc.
Sponsored Links

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 11:26pm
you pay the auction company, you hafta register with them (on line) before the auction, your register ussually will be good for all upcoming auctions from that company. after bidding and if you win the bid, call the auction company and find out where they want your funds delivered, i always use a bank transfer, it gets there quiker and if there is a title involved they will send it out right away and you don't hafta wait for a check to clear (ussually a week or 2). i get their bank and account numbers to give to my bank. 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 11:27pm
watcha gonna bid on? anything cool?
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 9:55am
Around here you register to bid.  When you register you provide them with credit card information.  Anything you buy will be charged to that credit card.  Then you go pick it up with the recipe they email you as proof of purchase.

D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 10:36am
Originally posted by john(MI) john(MI) wrote:

Around here you register to bid.  When you register you provide them with credit card information.  Anything you buy will be charged to that credit card.  Then you go pick it up with the recipe they email you as proof of purchase.

???So...people put a $60,000 tractor on a credit card? Kind of doubt that or that that's the only way to pay.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 2:35pm
re: So...people put a $60,000 tractor on a credit card?

yes, not a problem as far as I'm concerned.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

re: So...people put a $60,000 tractor on a credit card?

yes, not a problem as far as I'm concerned.

Well, I guess it depends on what our definition of "problem" is.

I don't care how people pay for something. But how many people have a $60,000++ limit on their credit card? My score is 829 last I looked, nicely placed on the median income scale, I surely don't have a card that high!
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 3:48pm
Credit card might work for smaller items... maybe up to $15-20K.... I doubt most cards are used above that. ....Shamers has the plan... Bank Transfer... and it you need the money you get a loan from the bank.....Either way, the auction house GETS THE MONEY.

Edited by steve(ill) - 29 Sep 2020 at 3:48pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 4:04pm
Personal credit card limit can be raised by you, if you want, or lowered, the CCCompany will change it for you if you want or need to.
Business cards can also be higher and let's face it, if 'someone' is buying a 60K tractor, it's probably not for pleasure use, rather business !

Jay

Scott B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 5:08pm
You can pay via check, CC or wire transfer. They usually send an invoice in advance (Purple Wave) and you direct your intention.
Besides taxes and buyer premiums, my big issue with online auctions are their windows for pick-up are way narrow. You really need to look into the pickup window in advance of bidding to ensure you have time available and equipment ready to go. A lot of these auctions are during the week with pick up times usually one full day (usually a workday) and one half day (usually a workday). Tough to do if you have a FT job and especially if you have to travel to get there.
D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 5:29pm

Personal credit card limit can be raised by you, if you want, or lowered, the CCCompany will change it for you if you want or need to.
Business cards can also be higher and let's face it, if 'someone' is buying a 60K tractor, it's probably not for pleasure use, rather business !

Jay

Well yes of course. My point to John was regarding how he basically said CC was the only way. The $60000 was just a number out of the air. But once you get to the ballpark Steve mentioned, I think cc use would be way down. Personally I wouldn’t picture the ratio of people and credit limits would be right, just my feeling.

CC can turn down your request too, and if they do it could hurt your score. You’d definitely need to plan ahead.

Transaction fee starts getting steep too!
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 5:56pm
T-bone, ye need to read the fine print... and if you have a question, call the auction company.... and get their answer(s) to your question(s).  Some places (auction houses) will do business the week of the auction... some are open only am on Sat**day... some will take cash, check, credit care (with a fee) and some places won't accept the personal check but will take a bank check or Postal money order or such. Watch the fees... some will charge 10% straight throw , an some will reduce the fees after X amount so you can afford to bid a bit higher... 
  Reason for CC is so if you don't show, they charge your CC, and if not picked up in X days, they will sell item later and charge you all the same fees as they do a seller and might credit money back if they got more than storage fees/ handling fees/ consigning fees/ sales fees whjatever fees... well you get the drift. ;-)
But be sure you can meet them at the time they have set for pick-up.  Kinda a hurry up and wait scenario. and fifty other trucks sitting ahead of you on a one lane only way in and out... Was to a place like that and got tired and told the auction attendants to go open up the dang field driveway so those who got their items could leave without jostling through where vehicles were coming in.  and make sure to go look at the item real good before bidding cuz sometimes pictures don't tell the whole/hole story.  Again ye know that too.  Good luck...
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 6:34pm
Most if not all will contact your bank and make sure your for real and your info is good and I think they kinda let the bank tell them what your good for $$$$$ wise on big items- small ones they want your credit/ debit cards to sock it to them !!  Also never set a high bid - as if the bid on an item is $850 at closing- your high bid is $1250 - guess what bid they take , yours for $1250,, at least this has been my experience 
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 8:39pm
Shameless, not cool, looking for a IHC 490 or AC 2500 or 2600 disk. I missed 1 2 weeks ago at one of these auctions. Was at a flea MKT anyway. They gots another one coming up in a couple of weeks. I hate buyers fees. This guy is saying 2% up to a certain price. And I forgot the price. Thanks Guys. Looks like I better call auction companies real cute secretary and find out if they are like you guys are talking about.
GARY(OH/IN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARY(OH/IN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 11:22pm
I just bid for the first time on an online auction. When I went to see item and owner happened to be available to show. I registered, I bid. The auction company had an 18% premium. I bid 7 times increasing my own bid each time and never reached the reserve. Guess he really wanted to keep it.
KJCHRIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJCHRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 12:10am
Tom, if she's cute and talkative and its an hours drive, go over and let her help set up your account and explain their system to you. 
AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 1:25am
yes...every on line auction company is different. i use ones that don't charge buyers premiums, and when i said i do the bank transfers...it's because it's a quicker way to get a reciept and or title. i am in very good standing with lots of auction companies and if something should ever happen, they know me and know i would never try to cheat them. Tom...i have an AC 2600 center fold disk here for sale. it needs a new wheel bearing on it, i just haven't been able to get to it yet. best dang disk this farm has ever seen! come see it. also i don't EVER put my CC # anywhere on line, nor do i leave it with anyone to use randomly.   and some of the auction companies i use have just started to do the on line bidding thing, and if i get high bid i can send them a check for it, they know my checks are good. and like i said, they are all different in how they work, it depends alot on what puter programs they use. if any questions, call the auction company and ask them to set up an account for you while on the phone, then they can answer any questions you may have. also all the auction companies i deal with...if i put in a high bid of say $1250. and it goes for $850. that is what i pay...the $850. those are the honest companies. know your auctioneers before you bid on their auctions unl you are there in person and then you still have to watch out for shill bidding from persons they have out in the crowd.  
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 7:23am
18% buyer's fee! Wow. . .

I was referring to the 2 - 3% transaction fee the credit card company charges to process the payment that surely the auction company passes on to the user. Many merchants are starting to do that, and it's really starting to tick me off. Had to buy a pump for the home heating system, over $400. I pull out my card, guy says, "I have to charge you 3% if you use your card." I say, well, you don't HAVE to! Then turns out, an o-ring on my old pump was all that was wrong. Probably could have fixed it for less than $1. Did I return the pump? Well that would have been nice, but I dropped it on the cement floor and broke the impeller, and had to put my old impeller on it! Not a good day...

Anyway, honestly, I can't see myself doing business on an online auction. I'd have to want it/need it really bad!

Edited by Tbone95 - 30 Sep 2020 at 7:24am
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 9:22am
re: I pull out my card, guy says, "I have to charge you 3% if you use your card."

That's illegal according to the  agreement between 'merchant' and 'creditcard company'. You can lookup the details on the CC website (how to become a merchant....). I KNOW MC takes a very dim view of 'passing on the fee'. I called them , at the checkout of one store, mgr of store got an earful ! hehehehehe

desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 9:31am

Very interestin subject for sure,,,,Clap I like the "Thought" of an auction and just like to go walk around and watch some people make fools of themselves and pay lots more for wore out stuff than going and buying new,,,just cannot figure that out,,,,,,,
 WOW,,,!!  18% buyers fees,,,there just ain't NO WAY ole Joe is gonna fork over that kind of premium,,!!
 The one I distinctly remember was an estate auction in a "Shack" ,,,cause that was all it was and there was one of those little Craftsman Lathes in one of the back rooms that was so friggin rusty the ways had pits in em and the steady rest was froze solid to the ways,,,,
 They started in on that thing at $200 ,,,,,,and I knew there was fixin to be a new fool born right there,,,IF you can believe it,,that little lathe with NO tooling went for,,,,,,,,$550,,,!!!  I'll bet his wife threw his azz out the house soon as he got there,,,Dang,,!!
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 10:39am

re: I pull out my card, guy says, "I have to charge you 3% if you use your card."

That's illegal according to the  agreement between 'merchant' and 'creditcard company'. You can lookup the details on the CC website (how to become a merchant....). I KNOW MC takes a very dim view of 'passing on the fee'. I called them , at the checkout of one store, mgr of store got an earful ! hehehehehe

I've heard of that, but I didn't think of it at the time.

Boy, for being illegal though, it sure is becoming more and more common. Wonder how they're getting by with it.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 3:03pm
Even some Lil Mom and Pop quick stops around my area have to charge you 3% for a charge under $10, not un common
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 4:24pm
re: Wonder how they're getting by with it.

easy...no one complains !!!! Sheeple accept everything they're told, remember 'you can keep your doctor'.......

jay

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 4:39pm
Bryan's farm auctions has online ones, just closed yesterday....YIKES , why do people pay more than RETAIL for USED stuff ???
$700 for a bumper ??
oh well....

this....
..might get you to the prices .....
be sittin down, if it works !!

Edited by jaybmiller - 30 Sep 2020 at 4:41pm

HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 8:31pm
Dale did they only make the 2600 in center fold? Father in law had 1 as you said,best dang disak I ever saw. I have a 200 AC to pull 1. Dont believe I could use a center fold. Thank you. I want 1 to work up some very rough ground. Figured something heavy would be good.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 1:50am
it's a heavy disk and i love the flex it does too. i pulled it for years with my 7080 on the high side of the tranny with it sunk all the way in. the blades are good. i'd hafta look to see what number it is. it's one of them.  
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 1:59am
 wow....18%....whew....i'd stay away from that company. highest ones around here i've seen were up at 10% and below. i was at one auction (didn't buy anything) that charged a 10% buyers premium. they were selling a dump truck and a late comer to the auction was bidding on it. went for $46,000. when he went to pay for it they tacked on $4600. to the price, he told them them he only bid the $46,000. and wasn't gonna pay that extra charge. (don't blame him) he being late to the auction and missing hearing about the buyers premium was the problem. he told them either take the extra fee off or keep the truck. they took the fee off the price! Jay...ya'll gots more money up there than we gots down here! whew! tax deductions? 
GARY(OH/IN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARY(OH/IN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 12:20am
I knew that 18% premium would bring a few comments.
The item was a 12 x 24 x 13 high portable garage less than a year old. It was very nice, all insulated, steel siding on the entire inside and out. Had full steel on the underbelly to keep critters out. 1/8th inch diamond plate floor over wood, two foot wide x 12 foot steel workbench built in, 3 quality windows, OH door and man door. 4 shop lights and wiring near complete. Seller said he had $11,500 in it delivered. I emailed builder and asked for an estimate and if they would move it if I got it. Never got a reply until the morning after the auction with a pitch to sell me one. Delete.
My complaint is why have a minimum bid of $2500 on an item you need somewhere over $5500 on. I bid seven times all with "reserve not met"  While I was wasting my time being home and bidding I thought of a better way to go as in the form of an 8 unit mini storage building. Rent 7 out, get rents and a write off.
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 4:41pm
I bought 3 or 4 pieces of small equipment (bale spears, etc) from a large 3 ring consignment auction, with online bidding. I got an email about paying and told them I'd pay cash when I picked it all up, which I did. (Personal check).

My complaint was I put in my top dollar bid and all items sold for my top dollar bid, which when compared to similar items that sold, was about double what it should have been. Had called beforehand and was told that would not happen. They would open with an in person bid and I would be bidding against that. Didn't happen. I suspect the online bid rep opened with my bid, marked it sold and moved on. Moral to the story is only bid live....don't put in a top dollar.

Have wanted to go to another auction from that outfit, put in a bid like I did before, but be there in person to watch what happens.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic