This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Radiator tester

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Radiator tester
    Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 2:10pm
I've been going to do just that Jay.  Figured I'd start with the HF one and go from there.  All the caps are what are going to cost you.  You can get a bicycle pump pretty cheap.  You just need shutoffs....
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Sponsored Links

plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 4:38pm
I don't see why not. We used them on residential gas pipe systems. More volume per stroke than the Stant. My point with shop air was for systems that were empty.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 3:41pm
hmm... could you use a bicycle pump and 30PSI gauge ?
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 1:04pm
I would discourage the shop air idea. Blow up one radiator and you just spent more than what a high quality pressure tester cost.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 11:47am
Only pressurizing a small area/zone in the tank, volume from a regulator may not scale down fast enough.  Easy enough buy just a replacement pump of some sort and fashion a hose for it.
bobkyllo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobkyllo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 11:31am
I've also got the stant model from the 80s. But it also seems to not want to hold pressure. Plus it only works on one type of radiator
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 9:08pm
The pump in the set I got from O'Reilly's is very similar to the Stant I've seen used by pros. Have had it several years.
SteveMaskey(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveMaskey(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 8:05pm

You need  one with a hand pump and gauge. I have a Stant that I got around 1970 and still using it and it is very handy

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 6:42pm
I have done that with my shop air. As noted, be sure your regulator is good. What I did was set up a low pressure gauge with a tee and used a blow gun which has the dead man valve so I could regulate that way. Also have a test kit that I bought from O'Reilly's but only the universal adaptor fits the stuff I have
Boss Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 5:37pm
biggest problem I see with shop pressure is trying to keep the pressure low. Even with a regulator shop air will over pressurize in no time. Most regulators I've used dont lock up at a certain pressure, they only control when the air is flowing. Now if you were using a hand/ foot tire pump I think you would be in business
bobkyllo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobkyllo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 3:48pm
So I bought a radiator pressure tester from harbor freight. I thought it would be decent but I was wrong. Any ways the pressure pump broke.

I really like that I have all these different adapter caps for different applications. I hate to throw it all away.

What are your thoughts on using a pressure regulator from an air tool and creating some hoses together with the regulator on one end, a shut off valve to keep the air in the system with out having to keep the air hose hooked up, and then use the quick connector on the other end to hook up to my caps.

Can you guys see anything wrong with that?

I know most systems only run 14 to 18 psi. Hence the need for the regulator.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic