This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

knock, knock joke

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJohnS MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: knock, knock joke
    Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 7:43am
WD engine: "knock, knock"
worried owner: "Who's there - is that you Rod?"
WD engine: "ha-ha-HAH! Fooled ya - it's Mag Drive Pin"
worried owner: "and you wonder why I never invite you over any more..."

This WD was purchased for parts with the understanding that motor "does NOT run" - the seller had no interest in explaining what he thought was wrong - take it or leave it.

So my neighbor/buddy/architect/ bought it. We dragged it home, spent enough time to get it running (that in itself was a surprise!) and definitely had a knock - most like rod  number 1.

Well, time came to decide the fate of this old girl - it's actually in better condition than the tractor we were going to fix with it.

The distributor, coil and drive adapter was robbed to get an E Gleaner engine running. Those had to be put back on - and in the process of cleaning parts, discovered this:

that housing had been nearly filled with crud before cleaning, and in the poor lighting of garage, no one had noticed that pin. It's bent - but heck, looks long enough to hold - probably some ham-fisted farmer had "adjusted" it - right?

But wait:

when the engine runs, this will happen:

... hits right up against the bottom opening. After tha, the pin slides back into its bore and continues its orbit around the inside of housing:

... and of course the cycle repeats.

The pin slides to just the point where you'd think it would eventually "fly away" - then hangs up in the bore and stays put. So anyways, here's the pin removed:

We only ran the tractor for 2-3 minutes that first day, because it was low - low on oil, gas, antifreeze, air in the tires - and it had been a long, long day. But something didn't ring true to me about that knock - yup - characteristic rapiity-rap that got louder the more you revved it - but it would kind of die out as the revs got way up there.

A new pin with Loctite bearing retainer will fix it - but for now, we used a spare that Jesse in Niles sold us.

Edited by CJohnS MI - 30 Aug 2010 at 7:55am
Sponsored Links

redline View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 8:03am

there is always something new for me to learn. I don't know if I would have ever found that puzzler!

If it weren't for the last minute, I wouldn't get anything done!
CJohnS MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJohnS MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 8:10am
Here's seller buyer, buyer's grandson, WD, E Gleaner engine & back blade. That's the grandson beaming from the tractor seat:

DREAM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DREAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 7:22pm
Some folks just get lucky! If that were me, it would have run for 30 seconds and thrown TWO rods! LOL!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic