This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vermont'ers,,,,??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vermont'ers,,,,??
    Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 9:09am

OK,,,,here;s what I got,,,,Ya'll remember bout me postin where I bought an ATV a month or so ago, and now want to get the paperwork to get it registered in order to drive it up in the mountains. When I bought it from the original owner,,he gave me what we thought was the title but turns out it is a " Certificate Of Origin For A Vehicle" from Polaris Industries.  Looks like a Title with the VIN, date of sale, engine VIN and Seller but according to New Mexico DMV,,is NOT a title. They tell me I have to get a "Bill Of Sale" that has the original amount of sale, which was right at $6,200. That is not a problem getting from the PO, BUT NM DMV is telling me that since the PO never registered the ATV,,,they say,  I owe 20% of the initial price in TAXES  and registrations fees,,,,WTF,,,,,$1,200,,? PLUS, I have to have a piece of paper FROM THE DEALER stating that they did in fact sell this ATV to HIM for this price,,,in 2004. Never mind that I have thei official piece of paper from the dealer stating all of this info,,!! The dealer went belly-up in 2012,,and moved to Florida with no way to contact them.
 NM DMV is adament to this  and will not give any.
 I read on a ATV forum on FB, where Vermont is the only'ist state that WILL process and issue a title based on a "Bill Of Sale"
 Does anybody know bout this possibility???
Sponsored Links

Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 9:38am
Since the PO did not register it and pay the taxes you will very likely be on the hook for the taxes plus interest. But check with your local tax office and if they do not offer a reasonable solution check with you state Department of Revenue. Did the PO give you a bill of sale with the selling price on it? That is what should be considered the "fair market value" of the vehicle. But the DMV wants to be sure they get their money and they know that if you want it registered they have you by the gonads.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 11:19am
Can you claim the PO lost the title and you want to buy it needs a new title?  How about don't you have a son in TX?  Can he get it registered there and then sell it to you for, say $1000.00?

Whenever I sell or buy anything used that needs registered, I usually lower the price significantly to avoid paying so much Sales Tax.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Grayray View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grayray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by john(MI) john(MI) wrote:

Can you claim the PO lost the title and you want to buy it needs a new title?  The state would have record of the title if it ever existed.  They would know right awaay that someone was not being honest with them.

How about don't you have a son in TX?  Can he get it registered there and then sell it to you for, say $1000.00?

Whenever I sell or buy anything used that needs registered, I usually lower the price significantly to avoid paying so much Sales Tax.  These are all attempts to circumvent the law.  Sooner or later this would probably catch up with you.  Honesty is the best policy.  I would be reluctant to do something like this.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 1:23pm
Tell em it's made from parts of several old scrapped 4 wheelers salvaged from the scrap yard.   See how far that flies.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 1:35pm
Your only chance to not pay is use it.  Wink And when they catch you hope and pray they let a "hardened criminal" like you out of jail so you don't get the nasty virus. LOL

And where does Vermont come into play?Confused The guy that gave it to you was from there?

I got in the same kind of trouble cause all DMV's are trouble. Traded 40 bales of weedy hay for a rusted out C60 Chey.Wink Cause I had another Chey that needed a transmission. Got it to fire and had brakes Thumbs Up,went get one way permit. It has not been none opted (one time FEE until you want to pay the real fees and drive it again this craze state came up with). They want $1200 Cryand then I said just want it for parts. Then the old gal told me I needed to have a "dismantles permit" Angry told her I guess I would walk away from the whole deal.

Wink I got a trailer it fit on and hauled it home,transmission worked fine. Just the rest of it is still here,you want it, RAN WHEN PARKED.LOL You can even have the transmission back as the other truck put rod out the side of the block.Cry 

And the crazy DMV has paper work on a C10 all legal in my name. Sat a friends with 2 or 3 acres of GOOD JUNK. Had fire clean all the real junk up. Scrape was a good price and his wife talked him into cleaning up. I took a few things more I might need off and away it went to China. Told DMV they could stop sending notice of what the fee was every year if I wanted to put it on the road. Got to have paper work from the scrape guy,so they waste a stamp and paper every year.LOL 
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 3:06pm
Joe, need an aspirin?  Seems you've got one too many headaches...
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
bemer848 View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bemer848 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 6:05pm
Hey Joe I am from Illinois and I went the Vermont title for a bike that I bought new. I titled it and got a license plate from Vermont. Then a year later I went to the Illinois dmv and changed it over to Illinois. It was a little pit bike that had lights. Now I ride it legally all over.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by bemer848 bemer848 wrote:

Hey Joe I am from Illinois and I went the Vermont title for a bike that I bought new. I titled it and got a license plate from Vermont. Then a year later I went to the Illinois dmv and changed it over to Illinois. It was a little pit bike that had lights. Now I ride it legally all over.

Now,,,,,"THAT" ,,,my friends,,,,,,,is the kind of response I was looking for,,,,!!!! Many thanks Bemer848,,,!!!!Clap  Glad you is in MY corner,,,,,Clap
  I had read where Vermont will do that for people. We all know there are lots of transactions that are done with a "Bill Of Sale" due to any number of reasons for a missing title,,,,and most of then being Legit reasons. My main point of contention is the exoribant and ridiculous  cost of what NM wants me to pay in sales taxes and penalties that the PO did not pay when he bought the ATV. They want 20% of the initial cost of the ATV,,,,20 PER CENT,,???? Friggin hiway robbery is what it is,,,,

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 1:39am
i ain't EVEN gonna tell ya'll how i does things like that!
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 1:40am
Joe...sell that thing ona garage sale and go buy one that has everything you need.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 7:03am
I guess I'm missing something. How/why was the original sales tax not paid when bought at the dealership?
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 11:53am

Well Now,,TBone,, that right there is one great question. Me thinks I musta been asleep when the lady at MVD started in on me as I prolly interrupted her break time when I called,,,,!!
 (The place they bought the ATV was one of the bigger Polaris dealers in New Mexico and I seriously doubt that they would sell any items without adding the sales tax at the time of sale,,!! The dealer retired in the mid 2000's and moved away. The company that bought them out is no longer a Polaris dealer)
 As soon as I told her I wanted to register the ATV in my name,,she asked me if I had the title and I told her YES. She asked if it in my name and I said it was in original owner's name. I read off what was on the Polaris looking "title" and she immediately told me that was NOT a valid title and I would have to pay 20% of the cost of original sale price as I DID NOT have "Proof" that any sales tax had been paid when ATV was purchased. I told her I doubted that any business would sell a brand new ATV without automatically adding the 8% sales tax!!  She insisted to see proof that sales tax had been paid.
 I have talked to the PO and he will give me a "Bill Of Sale" that we can get notarized  as to Sale Price that includes taxes paid when they purchased the ATV, but still doubt that will satisfy people like her,,,,,,
TMiller/NC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMiller/NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 4:32pm
I'm confused (as usual) is this a street legal vehicle?  What  I call an ATV is like a super golf cart, 4 wheel drive and a transmission either manual or automatic, mostly for riding off road, they aren't street legal here, the way around that is a slow moving vehicle sign on back, and call it farm machinery.

Forgot to say, don't think they are titled here just bill of sale.

Edited by TMiller/NC - 25 Aug 2020 at 4:34pm
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 4:57pm
When you run them on state lands you need their permission sticker... for that vehicle your running.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 5:16pm
I believe an ATV by description has to be straddled by the operator and steered with a handle bar. UTV and RTVs are move like a golf cart. In WI you can register them for private use, public use or both. Private is a one time deal, public is every 3yrs. With public you can ride all designated trails and roads. Alot of roads in WI are now atv friendly. You register them just like a boat. But if you register one then don't renew they will make you pay back for the non registered years even if you claim it was not in operation. (At least that is how it used to be) My dealer always took care of the tax and registration. Here is WI law if anyone is interested. https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/permits/registrations/atv

Edited by mdm1 - 25 Aug 2020 at 5:25pm
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 8:49pm

Hey TMiller,,bout 5-6  years or so,,New Mexico started requiring ATV owners to license all ATV's including 3 wheelers, 4 wheelers, side by sides and UTV's. The US Forest service had been maintaining back country "trails" for all these vehicles including any of the 2 wheeled motorcycles and the state wanted to make sure they got their cut of the tax monies being generated. That proved a big struggle for many enthusiates as everybody knows,,Most MFgrs did not supply a "title" for their equipment when sold off the showroom floor. I KNOW,,as I bought 3 Polaris 4 wheelers from the local Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (FLETC) and they furnished me with a "Bill Of Sale" but NO title. I figured them being a Federal Agency, I would not have any problems getting a title from MVD. Dang was I wrong,,!!  I would up having to go all the way to Georgia FLETC headquarters to get an official papers stating they did not receive Titles from Polaris when the federal GAO originally purchased 50 of them from Polaris International for distribution to different federaL AGENCIES all over the country,!!  They were finally able to trace the 3 I had bought from the VIN's I supplied. THEN, MVD made "me" buy a surrety Bond that cost me $50 each and supply MVD with these in order for them to issue the titles,,,, IT WAS A FRIGGIN NIGHTMARE,,!!! New Mexico is NOT User Friendly towards the ATV crowd.
 About 2-3 years ago New Mexico started allowing the ATV's , UTV's and side by sides to be driven on the roads as long as they were equipped with lights, turn signals, horn, all the "safety" stuff,,,and,,,you guessed it ,,NM now requires all of these to be licensed registered and insurred just like a car trk.........
 I do not plan to drive this thing in town cause I want a heck of a lot more metal around me than these things provide,,but I sure like drivin em on them trails up in the mountains,,!!

Edited by desertjoe - 25 Aug 2020 at 8:51pm
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 10:15pm
Here in South Dakota we can license them just like a motorcycle.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2020 at 11:04am
ahhh,,,,, oh the joy of dealing with NM MVD
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2020 at 1:17pm

Yeah,,Michael, I figured you had prolly, at some time, had your share of fun with them AH's ,,,,,
 What got me so friggin upset is that the woman wanted me to show PROOF that the sales taxes HAD been paid at time of purchase,,,,?? I wonder how many gazillions of motor vehicles have been registered without  any "Proof" of sales taxes having been paid.
 The last new vehicle we bought in 2005,,,I still have the title and I doubt I could come up with any Proof that we paid the sales taxes at time of purchase,,,,,,,,,,
Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2020 at 5:16pm
Yea,, when ya go to NM DMV, its their way, or no way,they all know more than you, or try to make it like they do...

BTW, gotta story about a fellow doing a truck registration I'll hafta tell ya sometime....not big on typing today...
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2020 at 1:26pm
Yes, it their way or you are walking, so pay up
mhankins View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhankins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2020 at 8:16pm
Don't know anything about New Mexico,but in Arkansas they are sales tax exempt for farm use.
 Maybe you can see if your state has that law.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 8:43am

Well,,,I got a PM from a Great member here that lives in Illinois. He downloaded the forms needed, mailed em to Vermont and got his title, plate and happy as a lark. Nuttin illegal bout doing this ,,,,,just an alternative to getting around power hungry employees with Big haids,,,,,,
 What a Great bunch of Guys And Gals we gots here on this forum,,,,ain't it,,??ClapClap
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic