This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NAPA filter cut open

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firebrick43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NAPA filter cut open
    Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 1:35pm
Well yesterday I borrowed my fathers filter cutter and cut apart a napa filter 7011 for my CA.  Was sort of curious to see what was inside after seeing pictures of the cotton hulls in pictures others posted.  It has the hulls as well.  O well, wish there was one with clean cotton but it may not be all that big of deal? 

Any ways cut apart several other full flow filters from some other vehicles, one in particular that I purchased a few months back to check its condition.   The filter that came on this vehicle (jeep) was a carquest filter.  Definitely say I am never buying one of those, barely one step above a fram.  Crushed week pleats that were poorly spaced and very easily ripped, no true spring but a curved bottom plate(which is why the pleats were crushed)

Also cut apart a mobile one filter (from the last oil change on the jeep) very nice, couldn't easily rip the pleats(had to cut with a utility knife, and a very nice silicon rubber antidrain back valve with a leaf spring to tension the filter cartridge in the canister.  The only difference between it and the eta amsoil filter was the spring(amsoil was a coil spring) but is much, much less expensive.

A harley filter, extremely nice(on par with a mobile one),  and a napa(wix) filter from my C6500.  Napa was one step below a mobile one but still well made with well spaced and strong pleats. 

Sponsored Links

Jack(Ky) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack(Ky) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 4:56pm
The napa and a real carquest filter would both be a wix and they come off the same line. I have been to the factory. Anyway if the carquest was the red filter then the quality would be a lot lower than the real carquest. The red filter sells for about 2 bucks and likely comes from china while the real one costs more and is made in the US. About any time you have your oil changed the cheap one is all you get unless you specify the better one.JP  
JohnCinMd View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCinMd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 4:59pm
I remember years ago there was someone that did an in-depth comparison between all the different oil filters, I thought it was on the old forum but I'm probably wrong or forgetting. Anyone else remember that? 
Rick View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 5:03pm
John...You're right,it was on the old forum a few years back. It's actually been discussed several times.  Rick
WC7610 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WC7610 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 5:17pm

What about the Xtra Guard FRAM filters that are in the $8-9 range?  Are they still inferior or was it just the $3 Frams?

Thanks

Most Bad Government has grown out of Too Much Government- Thomas Jefferson
firebrick43 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firebrick43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 6:17pm
It was red, didn't know they had two lines.  I haven't bought anything from carquest for years due to the local one being poorly run. 
bigfish_Oh View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigfish_Oh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 7:17pm
I work for Honeywell who owns Fram, can't even get a discount and to beat that the factory is the next county.  I'm with AC's on the Duramax and Fram on the AC's
1941 WC sat for 29 years,started & dynoed 27 h.p.
1957 WD45 Grandpa bought new,factory p.s.,added wfe
1951 WD, factory p.s.
1960 D14 HnMk IV BkHoe 4 sale
2014 HD Tri Glide
2009 GMC CC SLT Dually
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 8:03pm
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

Gerald J.
JimD View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 8:14am
Rod in NH had also done one and gave us permission to post it on our site:

Owner of OKtractor.com PM for an instant response on parts. Open M-F 9-6 Central.

We have new and used parts. 877-378-6543
clovis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clovis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 10:50am
Very interesting thread!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic