This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

why would a radiator hose blow up?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Byron WC in SW Wi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: why would a radiator hose blow up?
    Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 10:52am
It's between the radiator and the thermostat on my old CAT dozer.  The first time it happened I thought it was the old hose.  Now it just happened again.  I took the thermostat off and it appears to be open, (engine was still warm).  Temperature was around 250 which was which I think is in the green.  
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 11:01am
Temperature had to be under 200 or it is burn't up, the hose will only blow out if the pressure cap isn't relieving and it over pressurized the cooling system  Should be a 7 to 12 pound rated cap and any small garage can test it.  If you have a blown head or head gasket that too can build pressure in the cooling system, if the cap checks good you could be in trouble.
Byron WC in SW Wi View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Byron WC in SW Wi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 11:33am
Cap is screw on with rubber seal I think.  I'll have to check that.  Thank you.
Hurst View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 11:44am
I had the same thing happen to my 7000, got a new hose and it blew out the solder on the radiator tanks...  Turned out to be the overflow hose was clogged.  I put on a new cap, had the radiator checked, flushed the cooling system, and then finally I pulled the hose off to pull the radiator out again when I got the bright idea of checking it, and sure enough it had some glue or something down the hose that had clogged it.  It was an old piece the radiator shop had put on it a while back when I had to get a split in the tank fixed.

Hurst
1979 Allis Chalmers 7000
5800 Hours
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 11:46am
When you say old cat ? like waht year or model. If screw on cap there should be another pressure valve in system somewhere or it should be open system with overflow tube vented to air. (open line)
 Temp should be 150 to 170 F , Check machine with engine running to see if you have bubbles or foam in radiator tank , sign of leaking head gasket . Also there are test kits to check for this condition.
 Hoses fail but new hose should stand up to most pressures generated from expansion of air in system. Make sure fins are clean on radiator and proper air movement through area .
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Byron WC in SW Wi View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Byron WC in SW Wi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 10:13pm
Thank you for the help.
Gil of Wi View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil of Wi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 10:24pm
They do have a separate relief valve. Normally on top of the radiator. A round cover about 3" in diameter and held on with 1/4" or 5/16" bolts. Could be head gasket but low liners will do it too. There good for that. Not sure what model ya have .
"A man who makes no mistakes, dosen't usually make anything"
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 11:26pm
Another thought, (this is why the side tanks on 08 up Ford diesels pop) if the thermostat goes from closed to open quickly, it can spike the pressure in the cooling system, and in the case of the Fords, the radiator tank seems to be the weak link. New redesigned thermostats ends that problem. Just because the thermostat is open when warm does not necessarily mean its good.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
D-17_Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D-17_Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 8:19am
If your operating temp is up around 250 you have major problems. A diesel will melt it's guts if ran much over that for any length of time.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic