This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Honda water pump quit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Honda water pump quit
    Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 12:43am
I borrowed a Honda WP30XT pump from a neighbor and ran it for an hour at about half throttle.  I decided I should level it out a bit and started to dig under one side.  It quit running and only starts for a second or two.  Oil level is good, has fresh gas in it and it flows out of the carb fine, good spark.  Can't figure out what else to check, any ideas?
TIA.
Sponsored Links

Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 12:20pm
John. looks like you have got us stumped on that one. Try anew spark plug and see if that helps. If it has a fuel pump or solenoid cutoff for the fuel one of those could be on the fritz. However I am not familiar with the Honda engines.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 1:49pm
Maybe it liked running on unlevel conditions
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 5:29pm
Some hondas have an oil sentry sensor on them, I'd look to see that connections are good, maybe pull it out, and see what the inboard side looks like...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 7:26pm
Put the dirt back that you dug out!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 9:31pm
YEP... i bet it has a level sensor on the oil and you moved it TOO MUCH to one side.. Put a 1/4 quart of oil in it, or tilt it back a little and see what happens.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 10:41pm
I thought it might be the oil sensor but it has a good spark, doesn't that cut it off?  Of course maybe it's OK for a few seconds then shuts off.  I'll check or even change the oil.  Thanks for the advice, one of those engine mystery's 
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 5:23am
just pull the wire from the oil sensor. Same 'silly' thing happened when I replaced a walkbehind rototiller engine... man that was a PITA....2/3 garden Ok, then trouble ..on the 'angled' section....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 9:43am
Maybe shoot a little carb cleaner in the intake when you fire it up to see if it is starving for gas or not.  OH and if that kill wire from the oil level sensor is visible why haven't you yanked it yet?  Good luck
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 2:17am
I messed with it some more today, tried a snort of starting fluid, nothing.  Visited a friend with a similar pump, he didn't think it had enough compression.  Pulled the rocker cover and adjusted the rockers, fired right up.  My friend said he had to readjust the rockers every year on his pump.  Discovered something interesting on the exhaust valve, there are two bumps on the cam, the normal one after it fires and a slightly shorter lift as the intake valve opens.  I guess it helps pull the gas/air mixture in better?  Anyway, thanks for all the advice, I now kind of consider myself a Honda engine expert, until a few weeks from now when I will have forgotten it all....
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 7:19am
Kind of a poor man's EGR. "Economizer".
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 8:05am
thanks for the shout back.

I would never have thunk that.  I have never ejusted a small engine valve in my life.  Confused
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 8:50am
Sounds like someone's using modern car oil instead of recommended small engine oil.
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 1:46am
We used genuine Honda 4 cycle engine oil.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 8:54am

Big John, The Mechanic Man,!!!!,,,,,UMMmmm,,,,UMmmmmm,,,you ain't gonna raise your rates,,,are you,,??  WinkWinkClap
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic