This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dad’s C won’t start.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fritzallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dad’s C won’t start.
    Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 4:11pm
I bought a new 6 volt battery, have cleaned up all electrical connections and she still just clicks when hit the starter button.
I jumped to my F150 just o give her a spin, but still just clicked.
So, is a new relay switch the best place to start. That seems to be where clicking sound comes from.
Any other suggestions appreciated
Thanks you in advance.
Sponsored Links

john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 4:16pm
Did you pull the starter?  They sometimes engage to start and don't release which causes this problem.  I'm also curious as to what relay you are referring.  Did you change it over to a key start?
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 4:20pm
Need more information! Were you using 12 volt jumper cables? If so, the tractor wouldn't get much boost from the F150. 6 volt systems take a lot more current flow to spin the starter than 12 volt systems, and 12 volt cables can't carry enough current for a 6 volt system.  What weight are the battery cables? Have you checked for corrosion in the cables? They can deteriorate internally and corrode, which causes significant resistance to current flow. How long has it been since it was started? If it's been a while, battery may need to be charged. If it hasn't the battery been charged recently, put it on a charger overnight and try starting it again.

Good luck......please let us know how you make out!
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 4:49pm
I'm assuming you're calling the mechanical start switch a relay. That it is not. As John mentioned, sounds to me like the starter drive is engaged with the flywheel already and didn't return. When's the last time the Starter was rebuilt? They don't last forever that's fir' sure. If the drive is engaged, when you loosen the pinch bolt at the Starter you'll probably hear the drive retract unless you bent the drive. I would think the best thing to do is pull the starter and bring it to a local rebuilder to do some tests on it. It could be the mechanical starter switch is toast also. Good luck!  Watch that jump startin' stuff. You can blow one of the Batteries up!  Not good!
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 7:57pm
First thing I would want to know is if you can turn the engine over with a crank or pushing on a rear tire.  I would think started lock before I took anything apart.  

I start my C with a jump & carry off the stud on the starter that the starter switch would be over if I had one on it.  

Edited by Dick L - 31 Jul 2020 at 8:22pm
Fritzallis View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fritzallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 12:13pm
thank you for the great ideas.  I will keep trying. 
Also, how do you upload a picture?  I want to show the starter set up on the C. Thinking it 
Might help. You know the old saying, “A picture is with a thousand words”🙂. 
Thanks again. 
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 12:23pm
get the photo on your desktop on the computer... at the bottom of this page, where you respond to a post, there is a BUTTON above that says "POST REPLY"... click on that and you will get a more detailed box to write your text... In that reply box you will see a Green TREE icon at the top of the reply box.. click on that and follow the directions to your desktop to get the photo.... Photo should be about 800 x 600 size to down load.. If it is too big, open in Paint Brush and reduce the size and save back to desktop.

Edited by steve(ill) - 01 Aug 2020 at 12:25pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 12:31pm
there is a small BOX on the starter motor with an electrical LUG on it... that is where the battery cable connects... How do you energize that cable ?  Do you have a button , key, or a rod that pushes a cam on the electrical box ( starter switch/ contact).
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Fritzallis View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fritzallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 2:04pm
It has been 40 years since left Dad’s farm and messed with this stuff. 😩
But having fun.
I took heavy duty jumper cables and went from battery direct to starter pole/stud.
I have a good spark upon contact but nothing happens.
I did remove the starter and re-hooked it up to make sure it wasn’t stuck in the engaged mode.
It hasn’t been started in 8 or so years. It was stored in open front lean-to type shed.
So, guessing starter needs to be rebuilt?
Thanks again.
Boss Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 2:27pm
Did you put the tractor in gear and rock the tires to see if the fan turns? after sitting 8 years the engine might be stuck. Or take a pry bar through the starter hole and try turning the engine over
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 2:27pm
[QUOTE=Dick L]First thing I would want to know is if you can turn the engine over with a crank or pushing on a rear tire.  I would think started lock before I took anything apart.  

X2 on Dick's suggestion, especially since it has been sitting for so long.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 6:26pm
Don,t get extra ambitious if it is stuck. Damaged pistons or rings can result. There are some excellent penetrating fluid out there that you can shoot into the spark plug hole and let set a few days that makes  a huge difference in turning them over. The starter needs to be taken apart, cleaned and polished.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic