This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Car tire broken belt?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Car tire broken belt?
    Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 7:58pm
If you have a broken or separated belt in a car tire(light whump,whump at road speed),is it likely to crap out on a 300 mile interstate trip or just be annoying. I know it needs replaced but we were leaving in morning and getting replacement first thing might be a challenge. Please advise.
Sponsored Links

PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 8:11pm
If you don't fix it before you go, you'll soon be hearing from your wife" I told you, you should have taken care of the car before we left!!!"
 fix it now on on the trip, your choice. Things like that never get better on their own. Your first stop should be a the closest tire shop.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 8:14pm
I've had 'em go in as little as 100 miles.  Be safe, even if it inconveniences you now, get another tire on it.  It'll be a helluva lot more inconvenient, to have a flat, in the middle of nowhere, in the hot weather...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 8:23pm
I'm sure it depends on how bad it is. We had one on a work truck go an entire season with the annoying bump.
I just had one on my fifth wheel (Chinese tire - Trailer King) that the tread was starting to separate. The tire guy was amazed that it hadn't blown. He could put three fingers between a section of the tread and the tire casing.
If you are in a big hurry to leave, I would probably chance it. I would change it ASAP.

SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 8:35pm
K...tire store opens at 730. Planning 830 departure so it could work out.
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 8:43pm
I've been through both scenarios. Always hot weather. Last year we loaded up all the tools for a NASCAR pit change and went the whole trip with no trouble. But I am not recommending you do that. Replace it before you go.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 9:27pm

Ten Four what everybody is sayin,,,,just remember how VERY HOT it will be on the side of the road,,somewhere,,when you realize you also forgot the jack,,,,
Don't take any chances,,get it changed,,,ClapClap
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 11:04pm
Hotter it gets, the faster they blow... GET IT CHANGED!
  Had one that went for a month, but got worse as time went by and flat one morning. Good thing it happened sitting instead of on the road.  Another tire just out of nowhere started to shake the pickup... was heading out and about half way to town... and no spare. Jumped out and looked at it and definite bulge. Turned around and headed back home... Last little ways limped on a flat.
 Maybe tires are made a little better these days?... Still wouldn't trust one that is shaking your vehicle.... unless it was a wheel that lost it's wheel weight.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 5:22am
[TUBE]MhuYR5H65RI[/TUBE]
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 5:29am
it just occoured to me (sorry 100+here...) why not put the SPARE tire on for the trip ??
take the other as a 'just in case' tire....????
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 5:56am
The 50/50 donuts are worthless for distance, 50 miles at 50mph is recommended use.
old farmer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 6:37am
Some cars don’t spare tires now.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 6:41am
it's a donut but I did air it up.....will get it fixed this am one way or other even if it's a delay.Will catch up with crew later. Thanks guys.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 8:31am
So tire guy says no belt problem, tire is cupping....when we get back wants to check alignment and rotate. Only 12000 miles on these not rotated yet. Another shop put struts on front less than year ago with alignment and this guy was supposed to check alignment when new tires installed...we will see....
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 12:22pm
Thanks for update, and have a good trip.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 2:53pm
Yes, have a safe trip, now you won't be wondering when it's going to blow
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 4:38pm
Made it ok. Altoona water park tomorrow
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 8:18am
Cupping. . . and he ruled out a twisted belt?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 1:21pm
Alignment is fine,scolded for not rotating evry 6-8000....
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 7:57pm
One thing I like about going to the new car dealership and getting the oil changed, they rotate the tires at the same time.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 9:10pm
You can rotate tires at 12k intervals if it makes you happy, but if the tire CUPS and the guy tells you the alignment is GOOD, and the problem is you dont ROTATE... the guy is a LIAR.. TIme to change shops... EIther the tire FAILED a belt, or it is out of align... How did it CUP if the alignment is GOOD ?............ Some specs might say something like + or - 1.... lets say the alignment is +1 and it CUPS... Maybe it should be -1 so it will NOT CUP ?  "in alignment" is a wide range.

If it is ROTATE... why didnt the tire on the OTHER SIDE have the same problem ?

Edited by steve(ill) - 15 Jul 2020 at 9:14pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 7:29am
Agree 100% with Steve, that's why I said what I said above, questioning ruling out a twisted belt with cupping. In fact the only time I personally had a tire cup was from a twisted belt! The guy is full of BS. I know people that put their tires on their cars for 50k miles and never touch 'em.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 12:40pm
well, I never was a "rotater" as such,just moved them around when fronts were 1/2 worn (front wheel drv) and usually finished out near even. Even wife said we've never had this before.. Last set were same tire and got no better attention and had no problem.
How can you tell if it is a belt problem? Look inside tire?
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 1:16pm
A lot depends on the quality of the guy/store selling the tire. Why in my old age would rather deal smaller dealer rather than a big chain store. May not be the cheapest to the penny per tire, but service can be worth a lot sometime.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic