This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What's A Safer Gamble ??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What's A Safer Gamble ??
    Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 5:25pm
An "early" model vehicle with "lowish" miles, or a "newer" model with "a lot" of miles ?? 3/4 ton, gas engine, auto tranny, 4x4. At this point, brand is irrelevant to me unless you guys say otherwise Wink. Thanks
Sponsored Links

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 5:36pm
Coin toss.

Friend of mine used to say about older vehicles, it’s still old”.

The older the vehicle, you have to think, when is it going to need tires, battery. How’s the interior look wear and tear wise. How much cheaper. Will parts remain available as in how common is it.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 5:42pm
How much salt rot !!!! Usually more miles = more rot, unless 'oil sprayed' every 2-3 years...
 Ford bed supports are bad for rot..
Chevy bed fender are rot out fast..
The year of truck really matters, some are real bad...
engine ? 4.8 Chevy's are good....4.6 and 5.0 Fords are OK...
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 5:51pm
1 model is a '15 Chevy W/T 4x4 with a towing/plow package and a service body(which is what I'm looking for) with 116k miles, a 6'ish litre engine(gas) ?? Not familiar with GM engines Confused  $15.600 ? The pics (a lot) don't show any rust Ouch.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 6:02pm
Is a 6.2 Ford gasser a worthwhile engine with 115k miles ??
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 6:06pm
Not going to comment on brand, they ALL rust and they All breakdown, know from experience.

That Chevy you’re talking about is on AVERAGE maybe at half life for a 1/4 the price of new. Shop around a bit and look in person, underneath.
blue924.9 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue924.9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 9:19pm
Flatbed Ed ran his 6.2 v8 to 450 plus thousand miles before the cams wore abs he swapped a long block in.   

Do a Google search for him he has become slightly famous
hi my names dan, I am a young guy. i have a problem, i prefer my tractors orange and my clutches mechanical, thanks for letting me share
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 11:42pm
If it was taken care of I wouldn't be afraid of a 6 liter GM with only 115k.  I have had 3 of them and still have 2 and one is exactly what your looking at, a 15', it's my daily and the only one with under 140k that I have.  The one your looking at is Probably getting close to loosing it's factory brake pads(maybe been changed already).  If it has a 4x4 with 410 rearend plan on 11 mpg if it has 373 then 15 mpg not sure if it's 2wd what mileage to expect.  I sold a 05 6 liter with 295,000 on it to a neighbor and it still used no oil and he drives it daily.  Only thing ever replaced on it other than brake pads were the A arms on the front end, both front wheel bearings, and the half shafts(it was a 4x4).
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 6:28am
My 6.0 GMC is knocking hard on 400000 miles. I rebuilt the transmission at 230000. Front end work 3 years back . On my second replacement water pump. It’s the best truck I’ve ever owned.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 7:31am
Well.....I did say "AVERAGE", and I did say "maybe"

Yeah, mileage certainly gets pushed way beyond 200k at times, but normally, expensive stuff starts getting replaced.

I'd say a 2015 with 116k for that price is an excellent value if it fits the need and looks good in person.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 10:07am
Once you have a service body, you'll wonder how you ever got along without one. My dad had a P/U with a service body 30 years ago and I've missed it ever since. They have lockable storage for everything without cluttering up the cab. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by PaulB PaulB wrote:

Once you have a service body, you'll wonder how you ever got along without one. My dad had a P/U with a service body 30 years ago and I've missed it ever since. They have lockable storage for everything without cluttering up the cab. 
I've been running one for 4 years Wink . Nothing "majorly" wrong with the current '05 F250 4x4 with 5.2, but the "body" (older than the truck) is rusting out BIG TIME Confused ! After a visit with the local Ford dealer Embarrassed, I got my mpg up to 12 from 9 1/2-10 Smile, so the reply about a Chevy getting 11 mpg is acceptable LOL. Thanks guys
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic