This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

new deer plots

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocharry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new deer plots
    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 9:51am
was out tilling new deer food plots,,,,for the first time,,plan is to break it up now,,till again about the end of july and then about the first of september just before planting,,,this is the deer killing field,,,lol,,,,the ol 170 did a fine job swinging that 6' tiller,,,made short work of working the ground

Sponsored Links

Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 6:13pm
Looks good
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 7:02pm
Plant Sept 1..... no bow hunting ?  Gun starts mid Nov ?
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
ocharry View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocharry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 11:42pm
Steve...nope I tried bow hunting a few years back...didn't care for it to much...my boy is a big bow hunter...but he lives in Ohio

The deer are here all the time...year around...so the stuff I plant is for late season....on the bags they recommend mid sept....I like to get it out about mid to late august... The turnip tops and the rape dont get sweet until the first frost and at the time I plant the stuff it gets pretty big and leafy .....and then in the winter they dig the turnips up and eat those

That field will have 3 big plots with different stuff in each...this is the first year for this ...so I'm kinda experimenting to see what they like best....I have been kinda grooming this field for about 4 years now...so this year I want to plant stuff for the deer....next year could be a different group of plants

Field is about 7-8 acres and I want to have about 2-3 acres of food plots

That's the plan anyway...lol...we will see...

Did a test plot in the front field with mostly the same stuff..and planted about the same time...the deer loved it..I could sit on the patio and watch them almost every evening....lol...that plot grew by about 3 times in size this year

So there ya have it...the master plan...I have 5 cameras out year round...so I know they are here...I just want them to be fat and happy....and stay around so I can get a nice one

Ocharry

Edited by ocharry - 17 Jun 2020 at 11:43pm
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2020 at 7:37am
I sure hope you guys don't regret planting those plots in about 25 years. We don't have to do that here. According to the DNR we have more deer per square mile here than any place else in the USA. They will come into the yard and destroy everything you have planted. We can't raise a garden. They will destroy it. Don't even try to raise Alalfafa. It doesn't stand a chance, same way with corn and soybeans.
Something I did not know, female deer will roam for miles, but when it come times to have young, they will return to the place they were born.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2020 at 8:13pm
Tom, you need to open a hunting club... Charge a few hundred a week... Let the guys camp out in the barn... SHOOT ALL YOU WANT !! LOL   Wink
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2020 at 12:06pm
Steve. I am surounded by 600+ acres of timber, CRP, timber program ground. The neighbor has people come in from all over the USA to deer hunt. Most are high flyers from places like Chicago, LA, Dallas, etc. Unfortunately the shot gun deer season is far too short to give us any sort of relief from these pests. There is a bow season, a beginners season, a black powder season. The guys he imports are only interested in shot gun. No rifles allowed. If they catch you with a rifle your rifle will be taken and you might receive a fine.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2020 at 1:06pm
Need to get myself a decent little 60" tiller. Have a 20hp 4wd lawn tractor with PTO and could hang off back of the 180 just work softly for wildlife plots.
ocharry View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocharry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2020 at 10:17pm
Yeah ..I have a 40" tiller on the back of my wheel horse and it does a supper job for garden size plots....

The tiller on the 170 is 72".... Took about an hour to do the 3 plots in this field....this thing is a bad donkey for sure...the ground hasn't been worked....all grass...it churned it up like nobody's business

I would have been out there for a long time with the wheel horse...maybe a couple days

I checked the PH on the ground today and it is running about 6.5-7.....I'm thinking that's good to go....put some 12-12-12 on it today and about an hour later we got 2" of rain.....what timing....lol

Ocharry
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic