This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

asparagus

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: asparagus
    Posted: 21 May 2020 at 2:50am

Back when I was able to pick some yummy along the barrow ditches,,,I would also cut it up bout 1" long and mix em up with some scrambled eggs,,,UMMMm,,,That was good,,!!
 Best'est way is just lightly sauted in butter,,,double UMmmmm,,,,ClapClap
Sponsored Links

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 1:45am
i had some spears tonight, not enough for the 2 of us for a meal, so i cut them all up in about 3/4 inch lengths, and added it to the baked beans i was cooking up. WOW...that was really good. we'll be doing that again! oh...and it's "epsom salts" you use on the plants. and the bigger the spears the more flavor there is. them do best if you steam them or add them in something else you are cooking up (like my beans), and they cook up great in butter too!
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 5:22am
I helped my late friend Rudy plant aspergrass...he used a backhoe to dig two trenches 5-6 foot deep, 3/4 filled with real good compost, then topsoil, planted 100' of it. That was 40+years ago.He'd topdress spring and fall with 2-3" of compost. I Google mapped his place and yes, you can SEE the trenches.
I don't care for it though i see a lot in the roadside ditches, it must like Ontario road salt !

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 5:09am
Personally I can't stand the stuff, but that's me.  Mom has a big patch in the garden, alls that she ever does to it, is cut spears in early spring, then when it gets too woody, let it go to seed, bush hog it down, late august.  For fertilizer, she uses chicken poop and straw, from the coup, whenever she cleans it out.

[TUBE]ItgJzRKo2WI[/TUBE]
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 9:25pm
all I can add to this is asparagus is fantastic deer bait, they cannot leave it alone! Which is unfortunate, because I like asparagus too! I'll bet asparagus would go well with a nice venison steak and a glass of wine!
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
iowallis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iowallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 8:21pm
DO NOT USE SALT!!!!

My mom used the "salt" method for many years until her patch started to die out, now only a few spindly spears and alot of creeping charlie, nothing else will grow there now.

From the University of Nebraska-Lincoln,

Can you sprinkle rock salt on the base of asparagus to keep weeds out of it?

Asparagus has a higher tolerance for salt in the soil that many weeds do, so an old practice used to be to pour the salty water from the ice cream maker over the asparagus bed to kill weeds.  However we don't recommend this now, because too much salt in the soil will eventually kill the asparagus, too!  The best option is to use mulch and Preen to control the annual weeds.

Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 1:54pm
Salt will not kill the asparagus.
It has been suggested that you run the drain line from your water softener to your asparagus patch. Keeps the asparagus watered and weeds away.
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 1:32pm
Sorry, but roundup will kill pine trees !---neighbor killed 50 big ones spraying under them!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 1:02pm
I spray mine with roundup to kill the weeds. Roundup soaks into the leaves and there is no leaves for it to soak into, kinda like pines trees roundup won't hurt them. Now I don't soak the asparagus down just spray like you would spray across anything to kill the weeds
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 12:00pm
Old gal planted hers about 100 ft from the house. The deer keep comming up and eating it off. I keep telling her I'll rake up some grass clippings and she can boil them up.   She wasn't happy so we fenced it off yesterday. Now if the dam deer don't tear the fence down, if I'm lucky she'll happy. Don't bet on that!!
ocharry View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocharry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 10:22am
well fellers,,,i dont know what to think about putting salt around them plants,,,is you fellers tryin to snooker me???? salt usually kills green stuff??

but now that puttin poop around the ground ,,,,,just so happen i gots me some old dried up horse poop in the barn and could make a good cover for that ground around my asparagus,,,i know it works good in the garden  

i was planning on leaving it alone this year to maybe get more established ,,,,kinda looks like i got maybe 6-8 plants growing for now,,,couple of them is purty big and tall,,,

i got your PM shameless ,,,,thank you for the insight and recipe

maybe next year i can be looking for the plants and catch them before they gits so big,,,,so i can put some compose poop around the plants and maybe some salt???? epson salt??? not regular salt??? or both??? 

thanks fellers

ocharry 
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 6:20am
Asperguts

1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 4:17am

Well,,I certainly cannot be called an expert ,,,but I HAVE read a whole lot bout thet yummy,,!!
 I have planted it several times but this dang rocky ground don't make for good growin of nuttin but rocks and them dang Goat heads,,,!!
 Bout 4 years ago I planted some 4 year crowns and they came up that year but instructions was to NOT pick it the first year and just a few on the second year,,but like yours,,mine did not come up the second year nor the 3rd and i finally give up on them. BUT,,This year,,,,dang if I ain't got bout 3 coming up ,,,gonna leave them alone so it can strengthen it's root system and maybe next year,,,Clap I did fertilize them using the 10-10-10 the book recommended and been waterin them good,,, maybe this crop will be the one that stays with me,,,Clap
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 1:05pm
Ours is just starting here good, it finally got warm enough. Now that your new patch got going you could maybe cut a few small ones as they come for a meal otherwise I would let it grow and as others have said put some salt and compost manure on it. On our old patches I just went the other day and burned the old dead grass and stalks to make it easier to find the new stuff. When it comes into summer stop cutting completely and let it go to seed I leave the dead stalks there all winter.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 12:59pm
DO NOT cut it down!! leave it grow---that is what will feed the plants this year and next year you should have a great crop!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 12:37pm
Maybe spread some salt around it, that will kill the other vegetation put not the asparagus. then it will be easer to find next spring.
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 12:03pm
Google it Oil Can. Wink
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Randy WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 11:38am
I would leave it and pay better attention to it next year maybe top dress with compost should be better next year. Randy
ocharry View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocharry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 10:34am
hi guys i got some questions for you asparagus growing guys out there

i got some roots i guess about 2-3 years ago and planted the stuff as per the directions,,,nothing happened first year,,,and nothing second year and maybe the third ,,,,so i kinda thought it had died and that was a waist of money,,,,but this spring i was getting the garden ready,,,and i walked past the spot where i had planted it,,,well heck would you look at that thing,,,i had one plant that was about 2 feet tall and had a half inch stalk,,,,so i gets to looking and i got others there too,,,they were way to big to cut and eat ,,,be pretty woody at this point,,,so now the biggest plant is about 4ft tall,,,looks like a little tree and the others arent far behind it now

so what should i do ,,,now that it has went to seed i guess thats what it has done,,,cut it down and look for new shoots to grow,,,,cut it down and wait till next year and pay attention...lol,,,,,,as you can tell i know NOTHING about growing this stuff,,,,,lol,,,,but i do know a lot about eating it,,,Wink

thanks for any guidance  with this

ocharry
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic