This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

School me on Batwings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
johnkc View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnkc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: School me on Batwings
    Posted: 09 May 2020 at 8:21am
I know nothing on how a Batwing mower can be used. Can one side or both be lifted to get a narrow path mowed or do the wings have to be down to operate. Referring to a mechanical driveshaft type not a hydraulic motored one.
Thanks, John.
I support the development of hybrid automobiles and alternative fuels as I need DIESEL fuel for my ALLIS CHALMERS!
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 8:35am
The lifting mechanism is for transport, once in field those cylinders basically have no function except to lift the wings back up, the side decks float on the cylinders.

There IS a limit on how far can articulate against the U-joints of the blade drives, that is noted in the owners manuals which can access on any supplier site.

Edited by DMiller - 09 May 2020 at 8:36am
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 8:36am
Make and model of mower would be helpful.
If you can disconnect the pto to the wings you should be able to run the machine with the wings up. I have a 20ft. Woods and that is what I do. 

Edited by nella(Pa) - 09 May 2020 at 9:02am
Scott B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 9:59am
If you’re getting one, make sure your tractor is big enough for what you get.
D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945
johnkc View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnkc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 11:35am
Thanks guys, I have a 7040 that I’m wanting to use for this so I think horsepower might be on the top end of requirements.
I don’t have any particular make or model in mind.
So that makes sense to undo the drive shaft to one wing and mow the narrow area that way.
I support the development of hybrid automobiles and alternative fuels as I need DIESEL fuel for my ALLIS CHALMERS!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 1:47pm
Friend of mine has the problem described, has a Bat for pastures and a 10' no wings for his narrow runs, was the only justifiable way he could do it.
AllisFreak MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisFreak MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 9:41pm
The only thing I know about batwings is the Chinese like 'em. Tastes like chicken??
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2
KJCHRIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJCHRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 11:11pm
If ground you'll be mowing has tree stumps or rocks to go over try to get 1 with stump jumpers and a slip clutch for each gearbox. fyi, stump jumpers are 3/8" or thicker discs welded to each blade holder.
If you run it with a wing up n that pto unhooked. Make sure nothing n nobody is near you, can throw trash a long way.
AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2020 at 12:53am
i saw some "farm King" brand ones here in town, some had just one fold up wing. was on Buhlers lot.
Brian F(IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian F(IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2020 at 1:31pm
My buddy has a Bush-Hog brand with just the main section and one right-hand wing.  Pretty handy for narrower road ditches.
johnkc View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnkc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2020 at 5:57pm
I found one of the Right hand winged ones. Hope he still has it Saturday since I can’t get away till then. Hope the 7040 is not too much Hp for it.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2020 at 7:59pm
I mow the farm ditches with a 15' woods bat wing single right wing only 130 hp is enough but works better on one of the 170 hp magnums. For mowing CRP we use a 24' double batwing. Needs at least 170 hp.
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2020 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by johnkc johnkc wrote:

I found one of the Right hand winged ones. Hope he still has it Saturday since I can’t get away till then. Hope the 7040 is not too much Hp for it.

My JD4020 runs the 20ft batwing just fine. I don't think that you can have too much hp.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2020 at 10:10pm
i pulled a 4 row wide bushhog 3 blade with my 180D all the time. wasn't a bat wing but was a heavy sucker!
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 10:14am
Everybody around here got-um---pull them with 450 horsepower tractors---- thats all I know bout them -- Have one here in the junkpile and thats just what they look like to me---JUNK! 
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by AllisFreak MN AllisFreak MN wrote:

The only thing I know about batwings is the Chinese like 'em. Tastes like chicken??

You misunderstood that Chinee man, he was saying Kitten not Chicken!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic