This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I am going to need some help.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARY(OH/IN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I am going to need some help.
    Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 11:56pm
I have a few acres that I've applied for CRP planting of native grasses for the 15 year program. Not approved yet but wanting advice on equipment to use to get a good stand and other tips since I've never did this before. I imagine I'll get paper from the FSA on procedure but want to be ahead of the game and also to pick up a piece or two of equipment I might need.
Sponsored Links

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2020 at 5:00am
Probably a no-till drill...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2020 at 5:26am
Can't help with 'paperwork' but will you be killing off the existing vegetation before seeding the grasses ? That might be the real challenege if there's a lot of saplings or thony bushes to deal with. A 'few' acres could take a long time if it's a slow, 'man vs weeds' battle.
Be careful of hidden objects like barbwire, boulders,old car frames.......
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2020 at 7:54am
Has the land been under tillage until now?
I thought that program was closed for any new acreage unless it was high erosion topagraphy.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2020 at 8:01am
After the field is clean— look at your soil type for fescue K-31. This will start easy and push out most weeds, works good on wetter ground. Make sure you do not have any “woody” roots in the ground.
BuckSkin View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2020 at 8:27am
It may differ from state to state, but I am fairly certain that the land-owner has nothing to do with the clearing/planting; the program people take care of that; at least that is how it worked around here.

I never would let them talk me into it; but, most around here that signed up for it paid the penalty to get out of it after a couple years; I don't know just what about it they did not like, but those that had dealings with it don't have much good to say about it.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2020 at 10:40am
More govt. BS to trick people into something that they regret later.
Answer to original question,
A good tractor
IF overgrown you will need a big bulldozer to clean things up so they will accept the land
a grass seed drill
good disk to make the seedbed
Roller after seeding helps but not necessary
A lot of fuel and time
That MIGHT get you started.
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2020 at 11:46am
I agree— without maintaining the ph ,nutrients & spraying, weeds will prevail, followed by saplings. This will cost big money down the road to correct. In our area, several farms were put in. Now, these farms are thistle fields that are turning into cedar trees slowly. I was asked to mow some fields last year. I value my equipment and tires much more!
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2020 at 10:55pm
I had 81 acres of CRP for 30 years. you will need a sprayer, a mower, a tractor of course, a good chain saw or 2, I rented the no till drill from Pheasants Forever, the FSA office will give you paperwork to take to the seed dealer, he will order it in for you. it will be a combination of several kinds of seeds. if you think you will make easy money on this...you won't! it's a lot of work, and the work usually has to be done when you are busy doing other things that need to be done. I always had to burn mine off by a certain date, or go take weeds out, or mow it, or spray it, or de-tree it, or some other silly thing the FSA wanted done right at planting time or you'd be fined or something. they always hold you up with chit of do this or we'll fine you or we'll take away your payments and you'll hafta pay back all the payments they have already gave to you. at first they said let the trees grow, it's good habitat, then after the trees were growing good (about 10 years later), they said we couldn't have trees there! so I bought a tree puller from Coke's son and pulled about 1500 trees and piled them for burning. then they said I couldn't burn the piles cuz that was good habitat! then later I was supposed to get rid of the piles of trees! sometime in the course of a good stand of grass, they'll want you to kill it off and re-seed it. they'll want different types than what was growing there the past 10-15 years dropping seeds every year. so what ever you re-seed with will be taken over by what was already growing there before. you'd be a lot better off planting crops.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2020 at 11:37pm
If you do a 15 year program, ask them to stipulate what they are going to require of you and the land to meet their/your 15 years of contract with them... and get them to produce the 15 year plan in a year by year specifically spelled out iron clad plan... after all, they think they know what they are going to do with your land in 'their' set-aside program for those 15 years.

mmm... wouldn't it be great if they break their commitment, they would have to pay you double.. Ermm  well I guess that was just a happy thought. LOL
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2020 at 6:02am
wow, what JC said is a MUST !!  the ENTIRE contract , written down, year by year. That way, when they say  'something ELSE has to be done', you can show the contract THEY signed, and say 'no...ain't doing it'.
It sounds like CRP is full of krap, a project run by micromanagers that have never farmed ?? Unless it MAKES you money, good money maybe it's best to just leave that area 'fallow'.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2020 at 6:40am
Wow looks like there is quite a bit of variance depending what location or district you are in.
Mine had a mid contract requirement to sow clover on it. They gave me the kinds and amounts to use. When I called with a question on best time of the year to sow it, they told me that the rules had changed and that I could just mow it and would pay for part of the mowing. I mowed it and submitted them a bill and they paid it. It has been easy for me.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2020 at 6:58am
I just got rejected for another 10 year sign up. I put y 3.5 acres in the wildlife Habitat Plan, 22 years ago. 10 years at a time, then the last 2 years as a yearly extension.
 Their 'contract' only matters if YOU don't follow it. It seems, they can change whatever they want, whenever though. Anytime there is  different person to deal with at the 'office', they have a different idea of what should be done and when.
 That being said, I have never had anyone tell me what to do or when to do it and have never been 'turned in' by anybody for not following the 'plan'.
 When I signed up, they were to supply the seed, several different prairie grasses, a mix of wild flowers and some legumes along with the no-till drill. It took till June to get the guy to answer my call as when he would be here. I left a message saying I was going to disc it up and sow sorghum in next week and he called me right away. He said have a tractor with Pioneer couplings there early Friday morning and he would be here.
 Sometime after the map, and paperwork with their 'plan' was sent to me, they changed the map. They took out the steepest sandiest part of the the patch, and added in the waterway, which they had told me couldn't be in the plan, because it hadn't been farmed, and it wasn't highly erodible.
 Now, since they rejected this for a renewal, the SWCD guy said I can hand sow, frost seed, some butterfly plants this winter, and they will accept it in a different program and pay me more per acre to boot.
 There is NOTHING you can depend on in any of these Government programs, except the fact that every different guy, will tell you a different story. Oh yea, their checks have never bounced, but I'm not so sure you can depend on that forever!
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic