This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stripped CA steering arm lock bolt

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stripped CA steering arm lock bolt
    Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 9:25pm
Would it stand drilling and tapping to a 3/4 inch bolt? I may have to try finding another one but I'll have to go out to the shop tomorrow and see which side. Already forgot. TIA.
It's the color tractor my grandpa had!
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 9:47pm
this is a B... but is this the bolt you are talking about ?  Holds the arm to the knuckle ?

Edited by steve(ill) - 24 Mar 2020 at 9:49pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 9:50pm
how about a thread insert ???
Joe(TX) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe(TX) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 10:12pm
I would pun the arm and use a helical insert if it's on the steering arm. You can get the kits at O'reiily Auto or NAPA. Cheaper than a new arm, although a larger bold may work. I'm not familiar with the B.
1970 190XT, 1973 200, 1962 D-19 Diesel, 1979 7010, 1957 WD45, 1950 WD, 1961 D17, Speed Patrol, D14, All crop 66 big bin, 180 diesel, 1970 170 diesel, FP80 forklift. Gleaner A
theropod View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theropod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 4:53am
I have a “donor” B with the entire steering system intact if you need a part you’re welcome to it.
Put the bunny back in the box!
1938 B, 1977 Yanmar YM2200

No private messages:
use email:
theropod AT yahoo DOT com
sparky View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 7:03am
Thanks for the reply’s and offers but I have a CA. I’ll try the insert first and go from there.Thanks again.
It's the color tractor my grandpa had!
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 7:09am
Roger, haven't heard from you in quite a while. Coronavirus is bringing everyone out, I mean in I guess. That is a very nice offer of you. Hope you and your little B have been enjoying each other and doing well. Haven't fired up my little gal yet this spring, we like a little warmer weather for the occasion.

Edited by chaskaduo - 25 Mar 2020 at 7:10am
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
theropod View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theropod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 12:35pm
Well, I had a major heart attack a while back. My cardio doc said I had between 10-15 minutes left by the time my wife got me to the ER. Doing great now, but the blood thinners they gave me afterward caused two internal bleeding episodes that nearly killed me. The first time it took 3 units of blood and 2 the second time. After the second time they changed my meds. Was tipping the scales at 183 the day of, and down to 155 (same as in 1971 when I graduated high school). So, not much tractor work getting done, but when things warm up I have a bunch to keep me busy. Recent cath showed I’m good to go, and now off a bunch of meds.

The B is waiting, like a good bird dog. I’m going to get the drive train cleaned up and some fresh paint before summer sets in. The tins are all done, and hanging in my shed. Still have to buy some rear rims, tires and tubes, but the plan is to get the old machine rolling before fall. We had ONE nice day a couple weeks ago and I fired her up. Just like always it took a “prime” crank with the choke full closed, and then set the choke to half open and she fired right up.

Not overly worried about convid19 getting me. The things I’ve lived through already! I do worry about old folk in worse shape than me, but I haven’t been off the place in two weeks. That’s fine by me. My wife works at the local hospital, and I do worry that they are gonna keep her there if it gets loose there. Not that I can’t take care of myself, but I sure do enjoy her company after all these years.

Sorry for the thread derail, mods. Just delete this if you want.

No private messages:
use email:
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 2:31pm
Glad you came through your episode OK. I to am on Pradaxa, I'm an Afibber, matter of fact I'm in Afib now. Set in Monday night and I called the Doc, she decided we would for go my coming in for the Gigawatt Jolt and try some new meds. I guess I have to try and wait till the 6th or 7th of April and go in for the EKG to see if the new meds help. If not I'll get my jolt then and we will try and finger something else out. Back in 2011 I had to go a month in Afib because I wasn't on Pradaxa and I was over the 48 hr window of opp for the conversion without it. Sucks being in Afib. I'm sure Sparky don't mind a bit of derail.

Edited by chaskaduo - 25 Mar 2020 at 2:33pm
theropod View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theropod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 3:19pm
Odd thing about my HA was the EKG showed a normal sinus pattern, and they were about to send me home when a cardio doc (not mine) told them to do a couple blood tests and gave me a nitro tab. Sure enough...

One stent later for the major artery feeding the entire front half of my heart was plugged solid and a little over a year of eating rabbit food and I’m great. Not one symptom before, and aside from the bleeds not one pain since. 

No private messages:
use email:
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 4:58pm
Thumbs Up
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 5:55pm
DANG theropod... thats a heck of a way to loose 30 pounds !!......actually , glad things worked out for you.. Staying around the house for 2-3 weeks dont seem to hurt most of us... The 20-30 something cant say still for 12 hours without running back to town !!
theropod View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theropod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 7:02pm
I could stay right here on the hill from now on, but several things will put an end to that.

The engine (2.3 Lima) in my ‘92 Ranger is at the machine shop getting bored 30 over, crank turned 10 under and a new head fitted with valves bearings etc. It’s supposed to be ready tomorrow afternoon, and my turkey huntin partner and I hope to have it back in place and running by Sunday night. Of course something will go wrong, or need replacing so that’s just a little dream of mine.

That engine only has 263K miles on it. The head was cracked in the exhaust valve seat area between 1-2 and 3-4. All 4 pistons had the top ring groove beat out nearly twice as wide as they should be, and #3 & #2 had broke rings. The wrist pins had developed slop, and instead of a ledge at the top of the cylinders from ring wear there was a groove-like place where the rings were hanging for a split second between strokes.

I’ve never seen an engine stay together with so many major issues.

No private messages:
use email:
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic