This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

8030 Power Director Slippimg

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 8030 Power Director Slippimg
    Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 6:28am
When I shift my PD to high it slips, also if I go to full throttle on a heavy pull it will slip in high above 2200 rpm,  the steering is heavy in this tractor and has been since i got it especially at idle.  I put a new torque limiter in it several years ago and when it does its current slipping i can stop the tractor ground speed with the brakes and still have steering and pto,
Any idea what I should check hydraulic wise, and where to check it at before I tear it apart to fix the PD itself? 
If my memory is correct the steering pump supplies the PD.  Should I be replacing this as well?

Hours unknown tach is stopped at 4400 before I got it
Sponsored Links

MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 7:12am
I would check pressure and adjust if need so first. Seals get worn, hard from heat and age. Would say it is rebuild time.       MACK
Lynn Marshall View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynn Marshall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 8:05am
The steering problem is a separate issue. The pump that runs the steering has nothing to do with the transmission circuit. That pump could be weak,a restricted filter,the screen could be missing in the left filter,the wrong length of filter,sticking flow divider in the pump, but most importantly, check to be sure that the front end is free to turn by hand. Jack up the front and remove the hoses and see if you can turn the front wheels by hand. Dry spindles can cause poor steering. The power director problem sounds like a bad seal on the high side Piston. I would think that the transmission oil pressure light would come on when it is slipping??
Amos View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 10:58am
Oil light does not come on when slipping no.
Spindles turn freely, had seized ones before.

One thing I have noticed is that when I shift it into high PD it has been engaging softly, it used to go in and hit pretty hard when shifted.  Been slowly getting more soft over the last few years.  

Edited by Amos - 23 Mar 2020 at 11:00am
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 10:19pm
New seals in PD would likely fix things. Problem is you may find warped discs by now so more $
I don't suppose you "did" the PD when you split it for limiter.  Always heard that you should reseal PD when one with age is split. They all got age today.
Warning...it is HEAVY and awkward. I built jig on class 8 truck tranny jack to remove and install.

Edited by SteveM C/IL - 23 Mar 2020 at 10:22pm
Amos View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 9:30am
I am looking at the parts breakdown of the power director on agco parts book.  Just want to ask those that have fixed one of these what parts should I be planning on replacing, as I want to get them coming and check availabilility. I  have been having trouble with the short line parts supply getting  few things the last couple weeks with the limited businesses open and shipping across the border causing some delays...so I have een told anyways.

I don't want this thing apart and need it to plant corn waiting a month for parts
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 10:25am
I think I'd wait and use gear selections that don't require the hi-side of the clutch.
Amos View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 5:12pm
Thank you Dr.  I have been seriously considering that for the last week...now it has just become the plan
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic