This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D 17 Brake repair?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D 17 Brake repair?
    Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 10:48am
I have an early D 17 w brake shoes. Book says the front brake shoe will come out after following instructions. I cannot get them out. Binds out something. There is no mention of the brake rods underneath the tractor. Do they have to be disconnected ? The pins on the bottom came out very easy. Only bright spot so far. I was about to remove the final drive unit to get at it from the side. Book says to remove brake shoes first. Baaa.
Also the two small springs are gone or broke - who has them?
Larry Miller
I used to be young and stupid, now I am not young anymore.
Sponsored Links

SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 11:31am
Early style like WD45"s?  Yes the pull rod must come out of shoe. I&T ?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 11:49am
And the rod goes back in to a specific length/distance from the front end.
Larry Miller View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 12:38pm
OK, looks easy to get the rod out - how easy to put it back? Looks like a blind hole and very difficult to line up the rod again. I did take the rod off the brake pedal and was able to get one shoe out but not the back one. Wear on the pad was very close to the rivets but not touching any. No oil present. I am tempted to put all back and not replace the pads. Tractor won't get more than garden work. 
Dave H (NE) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 12:45pm
20-15/16 "  measure from toggle pin (nut) to inside bend of rod
Larry Miller View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 4:34pm
OK, they are out - key was the brake rods under the tractor. Who has the brake linings and rivets? First vendor gets the order. Also need the two small springs - may find them local?
Larry Miller
Keith M View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 12:47am
I have the brake shoe pad replacement machine from my local AC dealer when they closed. I have the rivets, I order pads, from Shoup as needed. I’m recovering from emergency low back surgery so can’t do the work. If you can’t find rivets I’ll send you enough but anyone with brake/clutch rivet machine should have them. If not pm me and Good Luck
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 9:11am
Rick Corder is the brake/clutch go to guy around here. You ought to check with him on pricing etc. Never heard a complaint on his stuff. He's on here and located outside of St Louis.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 9:21am
Larry,
Yes Rick could do them. I got my pads and rivets from Sandy Lake and then cludged up some homemade tooling in my bench vice and riveted them myself. The key is to gently peen the rivet over in a radial action, or they can split. I have only done the WD45 type. Yours may be similar?  My suggestion is to replace pads while you have them out. Then your grand kids wont have to do them!:)
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 23 Mar 2020 at 9:22am
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic