This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gleaner MH2's in Safflower 1982

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gleaner MH2's in Safflower 1982
    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 8:32pm
Well I kind of got pictures transferred. I had put this on the back burner,after saying I had pictures. But our daughter show up and dug old pictures out and I found the Gleaner MH2's 1978,79,80,and 82 year model. But in resizing my wife's skill was not as much as we needed(but lots more than I have). Someone volunteered when I first said I had some pictures,please private message me. I think we can get much better,and I have several more. At least the middle picture is not cutting off part of them,at least if you move the picture across the screen you can see all 4.

Edited by Ray54 - 21 Mar 2020 at 9:16pm
Sponsored Links

Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 9:03pm
Classic Gleaners,,,, I love it. Those are pictures that should be embroider on a shirt or hat. 5 stars
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 8:11pm
That is pretty neat! Never see anything like that on the flat plains of Oklahoma...
interesting to notice how the bottoms of the cab doors don’t have the extra window like most did...
Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 8:40pm
I see the grain tank has short or lower extensions,, I'm guessing so to keep center of gravity lower?,?,,,
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 9:30pm
I noticed that too, Michael. The oldest machine (wide white bin stripe) doesn't have any type of extension, but the others have the small extension generally found on top of the taller extensions generally found on the Ls/Ms. I would guess you are right, to keep center of gravity low. Especially since those others were manufactured after '78, when regular L2/M2s had the taller bin. 
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 1:54pm
Wink Don't hold me to this because the rememberer is not what it us to be.LOL But the small bin is 100 bu and they called the extended ones 120 bu. I started working for the owners of pictured machines operating a 75 MH. The center pivot on the rear axle failed,thankfully on what we called level ground. The service trucks could drive right to it.Wink  But a very good example of Gleaner engineering, the pivot on the 78 MH2 was more than twice as thick. As they beefed up thing they felt confident and put the extensions on the bin.

Smart phone picture of a picture so not the best. But some of you with more time,now you know witch is the 78 model any guess as to witch is witch in the rest of years. But 2 really belonged to the father and 2 his stepson.

And about the window in the door Wink a give away in any picture to tell if it is a sidehill or not. LOL ALL sidehill machines had them.The way the ladder was built so the bottom was always the same distance from the ground. (The popular green thing ,you needed really long legs to find the bottom step). But that meant the upper ladder platform blocked the bottom of the door. So the engineers split the door so the upper part of the door always opened.LOL  Just step up about 18 inches. Was common practice to never open the bottom part of the door and just always step over it.

Over on REDPOWER there is a member from western Washington that drives the back roads of the Palouse  hill country  looking for photo ops. He came across 3 Gleaner G's lined up in a leveler part of that country. Being respectful of private property he had stayed on the road and could not say if they where sidehill or not. By the split door I could say for sure they where sidehill machines. 
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 2:04pm
Since you said to guess the years...Truthfully I think the one on the very right is a '77 (only year the wide white bin stripe was used), 2nd from left would be '78 (wide black bin stripe, but still just 2 downward facing work lights on the cab), and I'm at a loss on the '80 and '82 machines. 
Tad Wicks View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tad Wicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by Ray54 Ray54 wrote:

Over on REDPOWER there is a member from western Washington that drives the back roads of the Palouse  hill country  looking for photo ops. He came across 3 Gleaner G's lined up in a leveler part of that country. Being respectful of private property he had stayed on the road and could not say if they where sidehill or not. By the split door I could say for sure they where sidehill machines. 

Gene Stuckle has three gleaners lined up in front of his place West of Davenport WA. on hwy 2, I think that they are heavily modified GH's but not sure, I believe he is a cousin to Ray Stuckle, the guy who wrote the book on combine modifications. Gene puts on the Lincoln County Antique Harvest every year.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic