This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD-45 Question ???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WD-45 Question ???
    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 10:51am
Why do some of the WD-45 that I see have a "front porch" and others do not ?
At first, I thought they were completely different models; but, both styles are listed as WD-45.
I see this on both, tricycles and wide-fronts.
On some, the grill is flush with the frame; and on others, quite a bit of frame extends forward of the grill.

Thanks for reading and all help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links

SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 10:52am
diesel engines were longer and moved the radiator foward
BuckSkin View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by SteveM C/IL SteveM C/IL wrote:

diesel engines were longer and moved the radiator foward

Thanks; makes perfect sense.
I should have caught that myself.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 12:52pm
Yes, the 45 diesel engine is a 6 cylinder. Just needed the room up front.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Ranse View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 7:55pm
I often wondered, are they the same horsepower? I've wondered that about all the AC gas vs. diesel engines. I once had a guy tell me his D-17 diesel was 80 hp. I didn't believe him, but if he's right, that's quite a bit more than a gas D-17.
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 8:59pm
No such thing as an 80 hp D17 diesel.  The D17 diesel is actually 1 hp less than the gas.

D19 turbo diesel is only 67 hp.  Still a far cry from 80!
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 9:07pm
All diesel engines ( until turbochargers came along) must have more cubic inches, or more RPM's, to develop the same HP as a gasoline engine. For example, the D-17 gas was 226 cubic inches and the diesel was 262 cubes, both at 1650 RPM's. The WD45 gas was 226 cubes at 1400 RPM and diesel was 230 cubes at 1625 RPM's. A gas 190 was 265 cubes and diesel was 301 cubes, both at 2,200 RPM's.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 10:39pm
Uncle demoed a gas and diesel with the same 4 bttm snap coupler(WD45). They left the plow and gasser and hauled the diesel back. Tractor is still on the farm. Don't know the inside story and no one left to tell it.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 7:19am
If you think about it, money was probably the determining factor. The diesel was 20% more money, and then you had to buy a new fuel barrel and be very clean with fuel handling, etc. Safer to go with what was proven.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 11:15am
That makes sense
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 12:05pm
Same was true for the IH tractors! SM, W-series, etc.! --- Gas power always tested way higher than diesel.  Gas engines of the time were much easier to work on by most guys with common tools and knowledge , so were more popular for most guys.
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
BuckSkin View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

If you think about it, money was probably the determining factor. The diesel was 20% more money, and then you had to buy a new fuel barrel and be very clean with fuel handling, etc. Safer to go with what was proven.

Way back when I was a kid, dirt-poor farmers justified their budget-forced decisions to stay with gas-burners (not that any of them were ever going to buy anything new anyway) by claiming that "you can't start one of them diesels with a stick of dynamite" and "if one of them diesels ever gives trouble, you had better have a big pocket-book"

Contrary to country-store loafer knowledge, I have found every diesel I have ever owned to be much more reliable and quicker to start, and far less expensive to maintain.
VAfarmboy View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VAfarmboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by BuckSkin BuckSkin wrote:

Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

Way back when I was a kid, dirt-poor farmers justified their budget-forced decisions to stay with gas-burners (not that any of them were ever going to buy anything new anyway) by claiming that "you can't start one of them diesels with a stick of dynamite" and "if one of them diesels ever gives trouble, you had better have a big pocket-book"

Contrary to country-store loafer knowledge, I have found every diesel I have ever owned to be much more reliable and quicker to start, and far less expensive to maintain.

Actually they were about right about needing a stick of dynamite to start the early diesels.  We had a Massey 44 diesel that my uncle bought new in 1953 and the only way to get that tractor going if it was under 50 degrees was to pull start it with a pickup or another tractor because the starter just wasn't up to the task. 

We also had a 1977 Deere 4230 that was about the hardest starting tractor I have ever been around. 
BuckSkin View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by VAfarmboy VAfarmboy wrote:

We also had a 1977 Deere 4230 that was about the hardest starting tractor I have ever been around. 

We had a 4230 that was also hard to start when we first got it; likewise the 1971 990 David Brown that we bought new.

After a bit of thoughtful observation, I decided that the 990 was not so much hard to start  as it was under battery-powered.
I ditched the factory generator for a GM alternator and installed two Group 31s batteries; and, from that day forward, that tractor would start on cold mornings when some of the gas-burner pickups would not.

When we first got the 4230, even with two brand-new 6-volt batteries, it was very hard starting, often having to be jumped from a pickup.
This caused quite a bit of problems, especially when some of the idiots my father hired, who had no idea how to jump-start two sixes in series, would short out alternators and worse.
I replaced the series-connected 6-volt batteries with a pair of parallel-connected 12-volt Group 31s and then it would fire off as quick as a 6BT Cummins.

To fire a diesel, it must have enough battery power to whirl it over with authority.

Edited by BuckSkin - 22 Mar 2020 at 11:20pm
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 6:34am
Deere 4230's are world renowned to be hard starters !!  They had lower compression pistons to help with cab noise. When they got overhauled, the compression was raised and then started better.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic