This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

8070 Powershift Transmission

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 8070 Powershift Transmission
    Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 5:24pm
I have an 8070 with a powershift transmission and 9000+ hours. The rear countershaft bearing failed while driving down the road. 
 I pulled the shifter valve body off the side and the rear countershaft gear(I believe 52T, #274154) and the gear it meshes to on the back of the clutch packs(72T) were hopping and look a little rough. Anyone have any contacts to find these gears and the bearings for the countershaft? Agco dealership I work with struck out.

Also, how hard to swap in a power director transmission from a 7030 or 7580? 

Thanks,
Warren
Sponsored Links

MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 9:18pm
Should be some in salvage yards. Bearing should be found in any bearing house. Pretty unusual failure.          MACK
Acfarm View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 9:47pm
Thanks Mack, I have some phone calls out to a couple salvage yards. 

I thought it was a weird one as well, especially since that bearing is pretty much below oil level. 

Thanks,

Warren
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 10:05pm
I did a quick search - found about 30 salvage 8000 series - plus many 7000s.
"Dismantled 8070" or 7045 is how they usually list them.  All PS are the same except for size of bolts and gear  in the back gear train - these can be upgraded with a little work.  Some of the units are PD units - personally I would not do this but it is a option swapping everything would be easiest .
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
cowkicker View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowkicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 7:51am
Just went through an 8070 PST, Mark Heitman Salvage in Wisconsin had everything I needed. Reasonably priced and very importantly he shipped very fast! Always great to work with too.
Acfarm View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 12:22pm
Thanks I will check that out.

Were the smaller bolt/gear differences on the pst strictly on the maroon belly or also the black belly 7000 series?

Thanks,
Warren
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 12:44pm
It was at a specific s/n for each model. I thought all "black" 7000 series tractors were updated and the last of the maroon were too, but look it up on AGCOPARTSBOOKS.com for yourself to be sure.
Transaxial View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Transaxial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

It was at a specific s/n for each model. I thought all "black" 7000 series tractors were updated and the last of the maroon were too, but look it up on AGCOPARTSBOOKS.com for yourself to be sure.

Is there any availability of new parts for 7000 and 8000 tractors from AGCO? I know I had trouble finding high and low range Power Director parts for my 8550 30 years ago but those tractors were fairly scarce to begin with. Transmission parts were available generally from Agco and from CaseIH because those 20 speed PD transmissions were used in certain models of Steigers. Like the CR or KR 1225 or 1280. The R indicated the Allis transmission to get full power pto. IIRC the higher hp 4WD tractors used basically the same transmission as the 2WDs with some upgraded bearings and components.
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by cowkicker cowkicker wrote:

Just went through an 8070 PST, Mark Heitman Salvage in Wisconsin had everything I needed. Reasonably priced and very importantly he shipped very fast! Always great to work with too.

Be very very cautious with him. He got me pretty good on a 6080
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 10:32pm
The "big" 75 tooth rear gear bolts occurred at specific s/n's on each of the 7010-20-45-60's and I'd say it was sometime in 1980. So, only the 8000 series had the large bolts from the beginning of the series in 1982.
Yank View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 5:45pm
I have an 8070, parked it last fall. When I started it today and shifted into gear the tractor wouldn't move, didn't feel like transmission had engaged. I can move the one shift lever from part to low to high with the tractor running without having the clutch engaged. I can also move the other shift lever from reverse to neutral up to 4th without the clutch engaged. But, when I try shifting into 5th with or without the clutch engaged, it will pull the tractor down.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 7:18am
Does the power steering work ??   If yes, I'd be pulling the valve to see if something has gone wrong with it and also place a long bar under the front half of the transmission clutch housings to see if it moves up and down.
Yank View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 7:44am
Thanks, I'm not sure if power steering works. I will check. I did check the transmission oil and it was full and looked fine. What would I be looking for if I have movement on the clutch housing?
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 7:52am
Nut on front of clutch backed off. Usually have oil leak in bell housing when nut backs off.       MACK
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Transaxial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 11:22am
I remember a big nut lying in the bottom of the bell housing? On my 8550 when we were doing the repower to the 350 Cummins. As a result we kept going and did the whole transmission and drop box. What does that nut do?
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 11:40am
Gentlemen,  You are way above my knowledge level since we stopped selling in 1962, however, if you need a specific AGCO part I would contact Sandy Lake NY.  They have an excellent reputation of finding the proper part.  Not salvage yard prices but may be what you need.
You know, I have never seen a tractor with a Power Shift transmission.  
Good Luck!
Bill Long
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 12:24pm
8550 tractor is a Power Director transmission. Very little commonality with the Power Shift transmission. The big nut on the PS holds together three heavy rotating clutches and when the nut backs off bad things happen.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Transaxial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 12:59pm
Thanks Dr A. I should have caught that detail! I own a 8070 with ps and have done some troubleshooting and pressure testing to solve a very jumpy inching valve. I believe it was you that got me zeroed in on adjusting the clutch linkage to get the inching valve to progressively drop clutch pack engagement pressure from 300ish down to 140 and then trailing off to zero. Thanks a million for that bit of advice!!! 😊 Where I was going with this is that there are 6 ? different pressure ports on the right side that can tell you a lot about what is going on inside. Dr Allis can you tell the OP anything about what ports to check to narrow down what might be wrong? I’m thinking since it worked when you parked it maybe a stuck spool in the valve body???
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Transaxial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by Bill Long Bill Long wrote:

Gentlemen,  You are way above my knowledge level since we stopped selling in 1962, however, if you need a specific AGCO part I would contact Sandy Lake NY.  They have an excellent reputation of finding the proper part.  Not salvage yard prices but may be what you need.
You know, I have never seen a tractor with a Power Shift transmission.  
Good Luck!
Bill Long
That is a good thing to know Bill for some of us that still have our 40 year old tractors! In the era you speak of 1962, I/we had a brand new D19 gas that I spent a lot of time on. Pre power shift for sure. You say the dealer? in New York is good at locating or stocking parts for these old tractors. Just wondering if he might have power director transmission parts for my 8550? Just for future reference.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic