This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Growing up on the farm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 5:22am
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

Well,,I grew up on a 120 acre farm bout 5 miles south of town and my dad was the only laborer on the farm, til the owner sold the farm to big Farma so, we had to move into town when I was 14 years old. I actually liked livin on the farm as the owner would let my Dad plant a 5 acre space for a garden right behind the house The only'ist part I hated was havin to go down the tomato rows and pull them big old fat worms by their tail hooks and splash em on the ground,,,and sometimes on each other,,,UGghhhhh,,!! Keeping them weeds down was a big chore but we also got to keep the money them city folks would pay us for the produce,,,,Clap
  It is amazing that I still like chicken any which way its cooked as I used to hate when it was chickie slauther time.. We would build a big fire and put a 55 gallon barrel on it and heat water to boiling and my Dad would get the chickies by the head and a quick spin and there be a birds floppin all over the ground. We'd stick em in the hot water a couple of times and go to pluckin feathers and he would do the guttin and Mom would do the cutting up.
  The only'ist thing bout them good ole days is,,,,they gone forever,,,,,ClapClap 

I didn’t eat chicken until my late 40’s and still don’t much.
I can still smell the smell of those chickens when they come out of that water.
We would do 100 at a time and grand parents and family were all involved but only us boys would have to pluck.
Sponsored Links

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 7:05am
Originally posted by Ted J Ted J wrote:

Cultivating corn was no fun with a brand new CA.  I liked the horses.  With them you could fall asleep and when you'd get to the end of the row, they'd stop and you'd wake up and turn em around.  On the CA, I'd fall asleep and pretty soon you were going ACROSS the rows.  Pa wasn't happy at all with that.....
Fencing was probably the worst PITA....  Every spring, in all that muck.  But then there was the hay loft when it was 90 outside, it musta been a hunnert and 40 up there.  And you were always tripping in the spaces between the bales and falling down, usually with a bale across your body.  We only had one cow that kicked, so you knew her.
Nothing was really that bad, it was the freedom of working outside, with the horses or on a tractor that snorted also.  Going to the swiming hole after haying, stopping by the local bar for a soda after hauling the milk cans into the creamery in the morning.  ALL that GOOD FOOD!!  Good thing we worked our tails off, or I'd a weighed at least 600 lbs by the time I was 14.
My FAVORITE job?????   THRASHING!!  Those of you who've done it, know what I'm talking about......and where some of this big belly came from.
Ted, I'm guessing there was a "Barrel" of something involved, judging by my father in law's stories?Wink
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 7:37am
As kids we would go out in the pasture, kick up the grasshoppers and other flying bugs herd them toward the chicken yard, the birds would go berserk as the bugs entered the compound!! Used home made slingshots with busted corn cab chunks to drive the rats into the hog lot, old sow would see them and run them down to eat them ALIVE!!! Cleaning the manure from the milk stalls was bad, all hand done, watching the uncle dig out the feed lot with a trip bucket seemed to take FOREVER to get done, the see him put on the 'dirt' covered rain slicker hood up middle of a bright summer day and head out with load after load in the spreader to fallow fields. He had some make of Front Slinger manure spreader, shields were all busted up so the old Deere got a plastering as much as got dumped to ground.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic