This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

bet none of ya'll seen this,,,,,,,

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: bet none of ya'll seen this,,,,,,,
    Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 3:59pm

In all my years of rebuildin engines of all makes and models,,I came up on something that must be rare  as I've never heard of it.
 I finally got my cam bearing remover/installer tool machined out of the snout off a 4.0 (gasp) Ford 4.0 cranksshaft. I cut the crankshaft snout plus part of the first bearing journal, then machined down to fit the BBC cam journals. The sob works like a chaRM and I knocked the old cambearings out pretty as you please.Clap
 THEN,,,I was dropping a long allen wrench into the oil holes on the block so I could mark the exact center of the entry hole of the cam bearings on the block and when I get to #1 cam journal,,,,the friggin allen wrench would not go all the way down into the bearing area,,,,WTF,,,?? Finally got a HF light to see thru the oli hole in the block and the sob is not drilled all the way thru,,,!!!! WTH,,?? How did that engine last all them years in that farmer's trk without spinning a bearing almost after the very first time the engine was started up at the factory???? I looked at the original cam bearing that was in #1 journal and believe it or not,,,it was just as good as the rest of the bearings, This engine had never been apart as it still had the GM cam, rod and crank bearings. Plus the PO told me he bought the trk new and engine never been opened up,,,,,?
 Well,,after breaking 4 drill bits, I finally got the hole opened up,,,,, Thas just weird,,,,,
Sponsored Links

im4racin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote im4racin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 5:13pm
Is the cam drilled for oil to come from another journal?
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 6:57pm

Thats the first thing I looked at,,but all the other supply holes are at the 6 O'clock position except #5 which is at the 5 O'clock position,. While I was trying to see the oil hole at #5,,I noticed SHP cast into the block between the crank journal and the cam journal,,,?
im4racin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote im4racin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 7:00pm
Look at the cam...do those bearing journals have holes in them? Is it taking oil from another bearing and routing through cam to get to the one not drilled?
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 7:21pm
Can you get an air chuck up to that hole? Bend a wire in an L and poke around some. What year is that motor? 65 and 66 bearings were different. You got me digging. I think you’ll find everything is as it should be.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 9:59pm

From what I've read,,the early 396's had a different thrust bearing oil hole location than the later  427's and the 454's.
 I had the crankshaft removed getting ready to install the new cam bearings, and block was upside down on the stand.  I was dropping a long thin allen wrench in each oil hole from the crankshaft side of the block down into the camshaft area in order to mark a "sharpie" mark on the block so I could see where the oil hole was on the block as it is NOT visible from either end. That's when I discovered that the #1 cam journal had not been drilled all the way thru because the small allen wrench would not go thru into the cam area like all the others. AND,,I could NOT see the camshaft area even with a light shining into cam journal,In thinkin this out some more,,,,I'm wonderin if those oil holes are sand casted in the blocks and then machine drilled out during the final machining process??  THAT maybe explains why I broke like 4 drill bits while trying to drill the oil hole out to same size as the other 5,,,,???? Same goes for the GM machinist NOT finishing drilling it all the way thru and just let this block go on down the assembly line,,,,,Good quality control, huh,,,??
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 1:05am
Them Chevy engines is the toughest ones made. Just ask ol Shamless! I don't know why it wasn't right. It had to be getting some lube from somewhere. Are you sure there wasn't an oriface in the hole to prevent over lubing that part of the engine? Some AC tractors have 1 in a oil line to prevent it.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 2:19am

I don't know,,Tom,,,I could not poke the allen wrench all the way thru to to camshaft area. The allen I was using was bout an 1/8" size,,and I could not see past the drilled part of  the hole. When I first tried to drill the rest out,,the drill bit hung on something and snapped the bit like right now. Tried three more times and broke them too,,,!! Then,,I tried a hardened punch ground on an angle and I could slowly chip away little bitty pieces of what looked like cast iron. I really think there must of been some oil passing thru  that hole even tho it was not "drilled" all the way thru. I was finally able to drill thru using a cobalt  bit but goin very slowly so not to hang it up and break it too,,,
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 10:21pm
if it ain't broke...DON'T FIX IT! it musta been working before this
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 1:33am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

if it ain't broke...DON'T FIX IT! it musta been working before this

Well,,Shameless,,I usually follow that advise but I also like to thinkl if I touch it ,,,,,it gonna be at least better than how I fount it,,,,,,ClapClap
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 1:30pm
If that bearing wasn't wore out then it was getting all the oil it required, now will it get that oil since you changed things? You're the one that's got to live with that
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by tadams(OH) tadams(OH) wrote:

If that bearing wasn't wore out then it was getting all the oil it required, now will it get that oil since you changed things? You're the one that's got to live with that

Why would you think that I "changed" anything and that this block is gonna go to chit simply because I finished drilling the oil hole out,,??
 I'll wager that there have not been any more than a single handful of blocks that have ever left the factory with this screwup. I cannot count how many engines I have tore down in my life that have EVER had one of the oil holes like this one,,,and I seriously don't think anybody else has either. At least none of the people commenting here have said so.
 Well,,,MY glass has ALWAYS been half full,,,altho,,,there are those that their glass always seems to be half empty,,,,,WinkWink

Edited by desertjoe - 03 Mar 2020 at 3:34pm
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 4:48pm
Joe, i am wondering if they drilled the hole and the drill bit BROKE and a piece stuck in the hole... Maybe you were getting a few drops now and then to the bearing.. You tried to DRILL and you were hitting the broken bit... Cast iron aint that hard... When you hit it with the pointed chisel, you busted up the broken bit into little pieces..

NICE FIND !!
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 9:44pm

You might be right,, Steve,, cause when I first noticed it,,I could NOT see thru the hole into the cam journal area, I first thought that the hole just had some trash build up, so I chucked up a drill bit just a tad smaller than the drilled hole and ,,,,,,promptly broke the bit,,!! I had a small pair of needle nose that were bent and I was able to turn the broken bit back out without any trouble at all. I chucked up two more bits and broke them off just as quick. I shined a light into the hole and could not see thru it at all. I got a small drift pin and ground the tip at an angle and slowly chipped away little bitty pieces of metal. After several hours of thet chit,,I borrowed a cobalt drill bit with lots of cutting fluid and VERY slowly managed to drill a hole all the way thru. The machinist I borrowed the cobalt bit from told me he had never seen a block like this,,,and I hope this is the last one i do too,,,Clap
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 9:51pm
and I have a perfectly good 454 just sitting here! could have picked it up when/if you ever come for that tractor!
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 3:10am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

and I have a perfectly good 454 just sitting here! could have picked it up when/if you ever come for that tractor!

Well,,Shameless,,,it would sure help matters a whole bunch if ,,,,if,,,you would just load up all your "treasures" and move on down here,,,that way I could "help" you with your culinary chores and even volunteer to be "Chief Tester",,,,,yeah,,,I could do that pretty easy,,,,what'cha think,,,???ClapClap
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic