This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ford death rattle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ford death rattle
    Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 10:06pm
anybody hear anything about this? 2005-2019 Ford PU supposedly suddenly shaking so bad they become uncontrollably?
don't know anything more about.
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Sponsored Links

JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 10:30pm
local news here in Atlanta just did a story a week or two back on it, it's been happening for years, dealer I was at back in middle 90's had one that did it

Edited by JoeM(GA) - 28 Feb 2020 at 10:31pm
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 6:01am
heck the tierod ends on my F150 popped off..THAT wasn't a safety recall.....
'shakers' seem to be F250-350 series.. probably the heavy duty stuff wasn't designed right ?

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 6:11am
I deal with that issue all the time. 4x4 only. F250 up.
Front ends are usually ready for overhaul at 100K.
Track bar ball joint and one of the right tie rods are the first to go.
Then ball joints and everything else. Poor design.

I've experienced the 'death wobble'. It with definitely wake you up if you are not ready for it.
The only other thing I could compare it to the 'pucker factor' is a trailer that is loaded wrong and starts whipping.

Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 9:00am
Originally posted by fixer1958 fixer1958 wrote:

I deal with that issue all the time. 4x4 only. F250 up.
Front ends are usually ready for overhaul at 100K.
Track bar ball joint and one of the right tie rods are the first to go.
Then ball joints and everything else. Poor design.

I've experienced the 'death wobble'. It with definitely wake you up if you are not ready for it.
The only other thing I could compare it to the 'pucker factor' is a trailer that is loaded wrong and starts whipping.

Usually can get it to happen in a slight left hand turn while hitting a dip in the road at speeds above 45mph. We have had some success with aftermarket adjustable track bars to alleviate the problem.
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 9:04am
Thousands of threads to be found on "death wobble," particularly on Jeep sites.
ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS start with the easiest, simplest, cheapest, most obvious things, because death wobble is notoriously hard to diagnose properly since it's usually a combination of things. Fix ONE, think you're DONE, but nope... no sense throwing money at a problem you can't precisely define. With most Jeeps exhibiting death wobble its due to solid front axles with coil springs, thereby using upper and lower control arms. So many things to wear or go out of alignment...
Good luck, it's NOT FUN.
I need more than 200 characters for my "signature." I'd love to see that changed to 250!
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 9:08am
A neighbors Dodge would do that. Driving down a bumpy country road and you hit a bump that sets it off is forsure a surprise.
Eldon (WA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 10:10am
ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:
jiminnd View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jiminnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 10:18am
I think any solid front axle pickup can have, my brothers f350 with 20,000 miles had it, fixed once and again about 10,000 miles later. Dealer knew they had a problem on older ones but thought they had cured it and this was on a 2017 model.
1945 C, 1949 WF and WD, 1981 185, 1982 8030, unknown D14(nonrunner)
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by TimCNY TimCNY wrote:

Thousands of threads to be found on "death wobble," particularly on Jeep sites.
ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS start with the easiest, simplest, cheapest, most obvious things, because death wobble is notoriously hard to diagnose properly since it's usually a combination of things. Fix ONE, think you're DONE, but nope... no sense throwing money at a problem you can't precisely define. With most Jeeps exhibiting death wobble its due to solid front axles with coil springs, thereby using upper and lower control arms. So many things to wear or go out of alignment...
Good luck, it's NOT FUN.

My '97 model JGC was put into an independent shop for the "wobble", and after replacing EVEREYTHING except the little "shock-looking thing" to the ' toon of $800 and STILL had the "wobble", a $22 "strut" type mechanism from Advanced Auto And a knowable friend of mine with a pole barn and tools had it diagnosed within 8 minutes and 10 minutes worth of time!!

Edited by FREEDGUY - 29 Feb 2020 at 6:21pm
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 6:00pm
I usedta have a MF Turf 20 tractor that had it, pivot bushing in front axle was wore so bad, it would get to kickin back and forth so bad you'd almost lose control!  Though not related to the OP, my solution, was when you knew a bump was comin, that would set her off, you put both feet on the inner tie rod ends, and brace back, against the seat while pullin down on the throttle, to keep the speed up. you hadda take yer hat off, before roadin this tractor, cause the 30+MPH top speed would blow it off, otherwise!Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 8:55pm
the fords had that problem way back in the 70's too. drove quite a few of the F250's, F700, F750's, the bigger trucks had it too, kinda hairy when loaded.
Eldon (WA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by DanWi DanWi wrote:

A neighbors Dodge would do that. Driving down a bumpy country road and you hit a bump that sets it off is forsure a surprise.

I was following a jacked up Dodge doing about 80mph on I-15 in Utah last year. They hit a little dip in the road and boy did he fight that thing, thought he was going to lose it. Passed him and never saw him again....
ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 7:26pm
[QUOTE=shameless dude]the fords had that problem way back in the 70's too. drove quite a few of the F250's, F700, F750's, the bigger trucks had it too, kinda hairy when loaded. [/QUOT

I been around 2 old F600 that a cheap little old stabilizer fixed right up. LOL I guy made a deal on Chevy K 30 4x4 with a built 454. Then next week he says it can shack on a bad road.It is real nice in front of a big trailer,till you hit a piece of rough road. It already had a stabilizer,which I replaced along with any suspect parts and it still shacks Angry . Had several people work on it,and still shacks. Wink Found a Ford for cheap and it doesn't shack.LOL
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 1:20am
'death wobble' happens as a result of two things:

1) the front axle can move laterally (side to side)
2) the steering box is attached to the frame.

When a bump moves the axle moves to the right, this pivots the front wheels to the left, because the drag link is not able to move with the axle.  With the wheels now pointing left, and the axle's suspension being somewhat 'loaded' to the right, the axle snaps rapidly to the left, and overshoots the center position, causing the wheels to now be pointing to the right.

Eventually, this oscillation escalates to the point where the axle starts to 'bounce' from left to right wheel.

Yes, it happens on any solid-front-axle vehicle.  Steering oscillation can also occur on other suspension types, but mostly it'll be on solid front axles.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 2:09pm
That's been around for decades. Also better known as "Bump Steer".  Had a lot of issues at work with all out F250's on up. Monroe makes a steering dampner that bolts to the centerlink and to the crossmember.  Worked quite well on our pickups at work. Mainly 4x4's. And like the guys said, when things get worn,  its time to replace the steering linkage PRONTO! 
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 2:51pm
Death wobble is easy to fix. First and foremost, replace any loose parts, then do a proper alignment. Some people will say take caster away from it. This is a bad idea as taking caster away also reduces stability on the highway. Straight axle vehicles do not like much toe in. Every vehicle with the death wobble I've dealt with had upwards of 1/4" toe in, twice what any independent suspension is recommended. Reducing the toe to 1/16" takes care of the condition without reducing stability. 
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic