This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TL 12 starter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TL 12 starter
    Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 6:56am
I think the starter on my TL 12 might have died. Does anyone know what tractor would use the same starter? Mine has the WD45 engine, but the starter is not the same as a WD45. It mounts to the bell housing from the engine side, not the transmission side.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
Sponsored Links

CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 7:46am
Its similar to the D17 style starter but i dont believe its the same.  mine went kaput and i got it rebuilt,  no big deal.  should be cheaper than new and you know its good instead of picking up a used one you never know.  I can tell you the ring gear is different part # from wd45 and D17 so hope its good.
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 10:21pm
Thanks Cal. Got the starter off tonight after work. It is locked up. Didn't take it apart yet. Ring gear looks like new. But the starter gear is chewed up! Around 1/4" is missing off each tooth!
We used to have a rebuilder here in town, but, he closed up shop a few years ago. Put a feeler on Facebook this morning asking if anybody eles still does that. Got a couple leads to check on.
The starter I took off is an Auto-lite.

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2020 at 8:01am
Thing is them starters that mount from opposite side turn the opposite direction - so the starter drive and the field coils are not the same as what one would think .
 Open it up and if the armature is good the rest of the parts should be obtainable from a good auto parts store or rebuilder - that and new bushings . if the armature is bad then the hunt is on .

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 10:41pm
After I took starter off it started working again. Figure it might have have had ice inside. Although after disassembly it was found that the armature had moved back and damaged the brush holders. It is at the local diesel shop right now and older gentleman that is dealing with it is not having luck finding a replacement for it or parts to rebuild it. His suppliers are saying obsolete. This is an early model TL12, (serial no 252). If anyone has any info that would help, it would be greatly appreciated.

CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 8:11am
talk to steve @ b&b.   even obsolete he may be able to find the parts.  likely your rebuild shop didnt try that hard.  steve rebuilt my autolite for my 37 UC

Edited by CAL(KS) - 26 Feb 2020 at 8:12am
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 10:21pm
Actually I've gotta give the gentleman that's working on finding me a starter some credit. He's been looking even on his time off. I'm gonna owe him even if he doesn't find me something, for the time he has spent trying to help me.

Lisaban86a View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisaban86a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 7:15am
did you take it off? look at it there must be numbers on it to understand what the model is

Edited by Lisaban86a - 27 Feb 2020 at 7:16am
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 7:45am
If you strike out with a local rebuilder, if you want to ship it out, I can rebuild it for ya. I have a lot of parts for the older units. Rebuild em' all the time... Thanks Joel for the referral...
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 6:56am

Here is a picture of the tag on the starter. He said the armature ha worked it's way back and got against the brush holders and bent them.
I would really like to update to a 12 volt, but if all else fails will have this one rebuilt.
Steve, thanks for the offer to rebuild it. If you can come up with the parts to do it let me know.

Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 11:38am
I don't for see any problems rebuilding that unit. Coarse, I need to tear it down and access it, but I have parts for that Starter. As far as changing that particular unit over to 12V, that could be a different story. I could build it 6V and have the rewinder wind it a little better to handle 12V. As long as your not crankin' on it for long periods, it should be fine. I can build it to handle 12. 
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic