This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tractor Rollover

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wkpoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tractor Rollover
    Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 5:41pm
Been working on hill sides with my JD 5400 with BoDozer grapple. I'll admitt I'm a Chicken sh*t when it comes to hills. Seems the least little grade and I get the pucker factor bad. Guy who owns the land has much smaller CUT 4WD and he doesn't seem bothered by slopes that look to be 45 degrees, even rides them sideways. I get on maybe 15-20 and I'm scared to death. Problem is I don't know were the tip point is. Anybody have any real good experience? Now keep in mind I have a loader on with an 800lb grapple attachment before I pick anything up. I know to stay close to the ground with the loader all the time on a slope. But my problem is I'm afraid without a load on at all.
Sponsored Links

Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 6:01pm
Sometimes when working on a hill side all it takes is a stump under the uphill rear tire or a gopher hole under the downhill tire to convert from safe to tumbling. Its not the average slope that gets you, its the details under tires at that point in time.

You can reduce the tendency to tip by running the tires as wide a tread as possible (probably limited by the gate posts or barn door posts. Wheel weight, like cast iron weights or liquid (though I hate liquid in tires) can also help, but nothing helps when the down hill wheel's support crumbles into a gully or fox hole.

A criteria I use is asking, if this rolls over am I strong enough to lift the tractor and implements off me? The normal answer is "NO" so I don't go there.

Gerald J.
Claus View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 6:22pm
In this case better to be chicken than brave and dead.
acd21man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acd21man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 6:52pm
in about 1969 my dad and his uncle were diskn next to a pond on a wd and it rolled over and tosed my uncle off and my dad was hangn on lol like we was sapost to be doin and was hung under the fender broke his back they said his face was just about a inch above the water . then in 76 he hit a tree in a 70 camaro wraped it around a tree and broke his back again lol. he ant broke it again lol knock on wood love him to death
2 wd 45,2 D-17 diesel/gas 3 pt, 220,d21, 4020,2 4430s used daily http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCudh8Xz9_rZHhUC3YNozupw
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 6:56pm
I tend to share the same phobia!!
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
RickUP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickUP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 7:15pm
My fear (pucker) factor keeps the tires on the ground. Rops and a seat belt would change all the rules.  I used to love going upside down in a race car or a dune buggy, never finished first on the roof though. LOL
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 7:35pm
Most of the time you will get side slip before it is ready to tip off the high side wheels.

The summer of 1956 I worked on the Ohio turn Pike. One of the jobs they gave me for a coupla days was to back blade dirt into washouts on the road side banks with a Hough loader. The bucket was at least a foot wider on both sides than the tires. The banks were quite steep and I ask the boss about tipping over. He just said keep the bucket on the ground. To go forward you tipped the front up and let the back of the bucket just slide on the ground. When adjusting the bucket to go forward if you raised it up a coupla inches the high side drive tire would start to spin. The loader was two wheel drive and you tried to work taking the rear slightly up hill or down. It was open station so I had plenty of loud instructions. Working at the tipping point that short of time even, gave me an idea how far a person can go without tipping over and if I get even close I try to go on an angle up or down the grade. It is always best to stay on your (own) experiences safety side.   
morton(pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morton(pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 8:50pm
I gotta agree with what Claus said. 

I am a firefighter and have taken the Penn State course on Farm Accidents, and Specifically Tractor Roll Overs. If you feel uneasy, DON'T DO IT!!!! What is unsafe to you, is unsafe. Don't push yourself or let someone call you a chicken, remember its YOUR life at risk. If they think it's such a good idea just let them do the job for you.

Another thing to think about: most farm accidents occur away from the house/immediate farm, and while the operator is alone. Any accident victim should be at the hospital within 1 hour of the accident occurring if they wish to have a good chance at survival. While this might seem like a while, you must factor in the time between the accident occurs, the time someone finds you/calls 911/dispatch of emergency services, the time fire department/EMS personal arrive at their stations, the travel time to your farm, the travel time to the location of the accident (other end of the property?), plus the time of extrication/rescue, plus the time for treatment and patient packaging at the scene, plus the time from the scene of the accident to the hospital, which could be greatly affected if you are wayyyyy out in a field , the woods, etc. etc. (this also goes for all the other above times, due to equipment needed at the scene if it's a distance away, etc.)
My point is, if the accident were to happen while the operator is alone, away from the immediate area, even if it's just 1 field over, you are at great risk to not being found until HOURS after the accident. How many of us go out and work for 2-4, maybe even 6 hours without hearing or seeing anyone? What kind of situation would you be in if the accident happened in the first half hour of your work, when the job is supposed to take 4 hours? How long would it take someone to find you? 
How many of us just go out and work without even telling anyone where we went and what we were going to be doing? What would happen then if there were an accident?
All these are things to take seriously, because weather you think it or not, IT HAS HAPPENED!!! Anything can happen to anybody at any time. What would happen to our family's and are farms if they were to loose the main operator? It's kinda like running a engine without oil. You can do it, but it only will work so well for so long. Be Smart, not sorry, and be safe!

firebrick43 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firebrick43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 1:10pm
Hell, I have seen a wd with a side mount mower roll over when the right tire hit a hole(tractor didn't have wheel weights/fluid in the left tire like it should) and the hole wasn't that big and the ground was flat.  When you are not afraid any more is when you get killed. 
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 4:06pm
My first experience with a sidehill was in 1967 when I skipped school to help the neighbor plow Dads ground. He told me to throttle back on the steepest part(downhill wheel in the furrow) and turn downhill, leaving the plow in the ground, if I felt it tip. Well, it did happen and I did as I was told and came out of it OK. Like Dick said if you notice the uphill wheel lose traction or you start to slide, you are on the edge. Your always better safe than sorry so keep your pucker where it is. LOL
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Jim Lindemood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Lindemood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 4:24pm
If you are uncomfortable, don't do it. I leave some hillsides alone - that others might work. Being overly confident can get you into trouble too. Always be patient and play it smart. Stuff happens fast.
Ryan Renko View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Renko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 6:50pm
I watch some of these workers that mow along interstate highways for the state. It seems they really get in some scary situations that I sure wouldnt even try!! Ryan
Rick of HopeIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick of HopeIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 7:30pm
One of my wife's Uncles worked for the state and picked up a sickle mower to hang under his JD2520, narrow front.    He was using it along a small swale (not steep) behind his home one evening and as best they can tell it caught the end of the sickle and immediately flipped the tractor.  We were there at the wake and you could clearly see where it happened, I would have never guessed it could have done that.
I also watched as a friend was moving some dirt for my son's Scout project with his new Kubota, not a very big one.  It had a loader, no rear weights.  He was backing with dirt in the bucket about hood high and hit a soft spot with one rear.  I dived out of way, thought it was going to go but the front axle stop must have hit just in time.  
1951 B, 1937 WC, 1957 D14, -- Thanks and God Bless
DREAM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DREAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 7:56pm
I almost rolled my former boss's Yanmar with a bucket full of dirt and no rear weight. Just got in a little sideling area, and then right front tire dropped in a stump hole. I was able to drop the bucket fast enough to stop it, but it was almost gone! No way I could have gotten off or out of the way, and no ROPS. I took it back to him(after I cleaned it and my pants up a little).
190Allis View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 190Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 10:19pm

I turned a tractor over in 1999 broke my back in two places and my left shoulder in two places.  I'll repeat what others have said if your not sure then dont do it. Its ok to be a chicken ****.   Long story short had I not had experience on a tractor and known what to do when I got in trouble my situation would have ended much more different than it did.  One suggestion on hills that I have seen many do is start at the buttom and work your way up the hill back and fourth.  This way your high side tire has the better chance of finding any hole.  I have seen some guys mow hills in my area that I just had to close my eyes and leave.  They looked like a postage stamp on a card.   

180, 190, 190XT, WD45 and growning. So many projects never enough time.
JimIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 10:37pm
Like everyone has already said, its ok to be chicken.  When I was 20 years old I lost one of my best friends to a tractor rollover.  We were in the same class in school and our names were in alphabetical order so for 13 years I had a locker next to him.  He was out hauling manure and must have been in a hurry as a friend was waiting at the farm to go with him to get some hunting supplies.  I havent seen the spot where it happened nor do I ever want to see it, but I guess it was a drive through the creek on their farm, a place he had driven through thousands of times.  What Morton said is exact and to the point of what happened.  He was a very ambitious young man with a bright future in taking over the family farm.  A terrible loss that could have been avoided, just play it safe.

Jim
Eldon (WA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 10:55pm
That is one reason I went to the 8' mower on my 175D as I mow a lot of hillsides/mountainsides...I can set the wheels out about as wide as they go and the stability is amazing.  Still, I have had to turn downhill a couple of times due to the "pucker factor". When you are rolling an 18.4 x 30 tire about 12" off center it is a good time to turn downhill...
ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:
LarryWC In View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LarryWC In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 11:06pm
I wondered about this when I got my WD, so I surched for information about rollover accidents and found under general ground conditions (no holes or little hidden stumps) a WD will roll on a 25 degree slope.
NOW,,,,WHO owns a peice of ground thats perfectly smooth with no holes, humps, or little hidden suprises of any kind?,,,I don't,,and if you look at 25 degrees on a protractor,,,it's not much of a hill at all.

Edited by LarryWC In - 18 Aug 2010 at 11:06pm
www.allischalmersmuseum.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic