This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Case tractor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMiller/NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Case tractor
    Posted: 29 Dec 2019 at 2:48pm
A friend gave me a Case V series tractor that has some disassembly done by his dad who passed away last summer.  The problem is the serial number plate is missing from the dash therefore I have no idea of the model or year.  The other problem is I can't get my phone to send a pic to computer to post, will try to take a pic with camera tomorrow if it stops raining.  Any thoughts or comments???????????  Thanks, Tim
Sponsored Links

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2019 at 3:32pm
it have a little tool box built into the "drivers side" side of the body at the rear by where you step up on the tractor? be kinda below the gauges on the side.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2019 at 8:50pm
Post pictures... I'll bet we can figure it out.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
naylorbros View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naylorbros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2019 at 7:49am
Pictures please.  The V series has a flat head Continental engine in it.  The VA series has an overhead valve engine in it.

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2019 at 8:40am
Tim,
 several V Case tractors. VAC the most popular. We had a VAI (Industrial) That i learned to drive on! They were about 18-20 HP. Some very early ones had a flat head 4 cyl engine.
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
TMiller/NC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMiller/NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 6:11pm

Finally a picture!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMiller/NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 6:52pm

Hood and fenders

chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 11:23am
That's a Basket Case.  Wink
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 4:29pm
Its a va!--I have 2 of them!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 6:05pm
Tim,
 I like it! Do you have a picture of the front axle? That can be a clue too. Does it have a ID tag?
These are a nice little tractor.  Great for raking, pulling wagons, light tillage. 4 speed on the floor with gas pedal. I did some very stupid stuff on one of these when I was young and bullet proof!
Matching tires all around! sheet metal is there. Your on your way to a good project. And its orange!
 Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 01 Jan 2020 at 6:07pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMiller/NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 8:01pm
Sugarmaker the front axle is straight made of maybe 1" X 3" flat steel, there is something funky with the steering as the arm from steering box to front doesn't look right to me.  Will try to get a picture tomorrow.  Thanks, Tim

Edit......The serial number tag is missing, was on the dash all that is left are the screw holes that held it on.

Edited by TMiller/NC - 01 Jan 2020 at 8:04pm
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 11:34pm
When I was 15 - 16 the neighbors thrashed their grain and also a few neighbors places too.  I was a tractor driver pulling bundle wagons from the field to the thrashing machine.  There were two of us doing that, I usually had a Case VAC and the other tractor was a Case SC.  I liked the VAC as it had a foot throttle and I could control the speed better then with the hand throttle.  An LA Case ran the separator.  (Case farm) The other tractor driver was the grandson of one of the brothers who owned the farm, he was also a classmate and friend of mine.  Each tractor had a grease gun holding bracket on the fender and we quickly learned that if you aimed it right and had the handle up, if you pushed it down quickly it often shot grease across to the oncoming tractor.  We both got pretty good at greasing each other.  Had to refill the guns nearly every day out of a 5 gallon bucket.  Great fun for teenage boys!
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 11:14am
ONLY JOHN!!!LOL!! Being young was a great time for sure!
I also have a VAC that was converted to a VA and axles cut off. They used the front axle off of a VA or VAI, and the 24" wheels. VAC had 36",or 38" but VA's had 24'.
Tags on my VA's are gone too so don't know the years.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 12:14pm
Tim,
I had a feeling about the front axle. That is the same as the VAI (industrial) we had. And the rear wheels look like what we had too. We hooked the VAI to a disc and could hardly pull it. Changed over to the WD45 and what a difference in power!
You will have fun with the little Case!
Regards,
 Chris
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 2:33pm
Va is only 25 hp  so no match for a WD-45!
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 2:42pm
Wink Start a new section here for Case V series and all the veraous models.

I got my start on a VAO orchard. My grandpa had bought it new. In the 70's it still had the original tires on it,but they were done and it used oil.  I cannot say for sure but I am thinking the exhaust was upright. The only thing orchard was the fenders.

By the time I came along no orchard,so I don't know what he used it for. My dad ran a hay mower,but mostly to spray weeds.

And to get Mr poking stick Wink in gear,it was replace by a JD A.LOLLOLLOL But it was package deal of a JD A,Wink an ALLIS CHALMERS HD 5.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMiller/NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 3:20pm
Couple more pics.........

The steering arm isn't right, was wondering if the front has been changed from a narrow front?

Edited by TMiller/NC - 02 Jan 2020 at 3:22pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 5:06pm
Tim,
 Its been a long time. My guess is that the long steering arm needs to come off at the top attachment point. Then maybe you can actually turn the wheel till the short arm is down. then attach the long arm? May need to go google some pictures of the VA series for steering details?
Tractor looks like its pretty complete too.
To me the VAI stuff on it looks correct. 
We had a snow plow on ours and bull chains to get some traction. The plow was attached directly to that front axle! The bolts at the attachment to the torque tube loosened due to constant banging against drifting snow. Finally gave way and the axle came loose at the pivot and the tractor came down on the axle poking a hole in the oil pan. Weather was freezing! I was about 17 years old. Didn't have any help. Jacked the tractor up got the axle back under it somehow. Pulled the pan banged it out and took it to get the hole brazed up.  Put it back together somehow. Mostly by brute force and awkwardness!

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 02 Jan 2020 at 5:09pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMiller/NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 6:03pm
Thanks Sugarmaker, if the arm on steering gear is removed and re installed pointing downward will that not make the wheels turn opposite?

1 more pic of the boss,,,,,,,,,,

Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 7:55pm
If it turns right, now, when you steer right, if you reverse the pitman arm 180 degrees, it will go left when you steer right. 
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 9:42am
I still think you have a VAC converted to VA. mine has the steering arm bent to make the connection to the gear. A factory VA dont have axle stubs sticking out.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 12:00pm
The one in the video seems to be working OK with the sterring arm in the down position.
 I still go with VAI, final answer! Have fun with it Tim. Does it run? Assume it rolls over?  Will be a real nice addition to the family! If I remember the hydraulics left a LOT to be desired.
Regards,
 Chris
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 12:44pm
That's a VAI front end concept, but I don't THINK it's a factory VAI frontend....

but anyway, the VAI used a different steering box arrangement than a VA or VAC... and direction reversal MAY have been somehow involved.

The later VACs were available with the 'eagle hitch'... a hydraulic 2-point.  If this one has it, that's a good clue to the date.

FWIW- I have two disassembled VACs, and an authentic VAI frontend, and some implements... in my stuff here...
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic